User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 10:47:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
wow! That's redicilous! So every college student from out of state has to become a resident? What a joke.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Man I'm getting myself into one weird ass state! I'll see what happens, but thanks for the feed back fellas.

DO NOT FORGET TO REGISTER TO VOTE IN CA!

CA Secretary of State web site

The Department of Motor Vehicles web site will tell you what you need to know about registering your vehicle and the fees.

CA DMV

The Franchise Tax Board web site will tell you about paying State taxes.

CA FTB

From the DMV site:

Fees must be paid within 20 days of entry or residency to avoid penalties. Any vehicle owned by a California resident must be registered within 20 days of entry into California unless a special permit was obtained. Nonresidents whose vehicles are properly registered to them in their home state or jurisdiction may operate their vehicles in California until they:
• Accept gainful employment in California.
• Claim a homeowner's exemption in California.
• Rent or lease a residence in California.
• Intend to live or be located here on a permanent basis (for example, acquire a California driver license, acquire other licenses not ordinarily extended to a nonresident, registered to vote).  
• Enroll in an institution of higher learning as a California resident or enroll their dependents in school (K-12).

NOTE: Nonresident military personnel stationed in California or their spouses may operate their vehicles with valid out-of-state license plates from their home state or the state where the military person was last stationed.

wow! That's redicilous! So every college student from out of state has to become a resident? What a joke.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say CO and WA probably have similar policies..............  Feel free not to accept gainful employment in Bakersfield.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 7:47:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say CO and WA probably have similar policies.
View Quote

Yes, after looking into it, I believe this is true.  Even the discussion of resident versus non-resident students is the same/similar; CA allows 30 days versus 90 days in CO, military exemption; etc.

Colorado DMV web site
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 8:16:09 AM EDT
[#3]
]I'm gonna go out on a limb and say CO and WA probably have similar policies..............  Feel free not to accept gainful employment in Bakersfield.

I'm sorry but I will be a resident and help you guys fight the good fight. I was just confused on if my car is registered in Colorado to my brother, would the 30 day "law" still apply.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 8:17:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

no, that isn't what it says, if you enroll as a CA resident to get resident tuition vote, etc, you can stay resident of elsewhere and pay non-resident tuition,
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Man I'm getting myself into one weird ass state! I'll see what happens, but thanks for the feed back fellas.

DO NOT FORGET TO REGISTER TO VOTE IN CA!

CA Secretary of State web site

The Department of Motor Vehicles web site will tell you what you need to know about registering your vehicle and the fees.

CA DMV

The Franchise Tax Board web site will tell you about paying State taxes.

CA FTB

From the DMV site:

Fees must be paid within 20 days of entry or residency to avoid penalties. Any vehicle owned by a California resident must be registered within 20 days of entry into California unless a special permit was obtained. Nonresidents whose vehicles are properly registered to them in their home state or jurisdiction may operate their vehicles in California until they:
• Accept gainful employment in California.
• Claim a homeowner's exemption in California.
• Rent or lease a residence in California.
• Intend to live or be located here on a permanent basis (for example, acquire a California driver license, acquire other licenses not ordinarily extended to a nonresident, registered to vote).  
Enroll in an institution of higher learning as a California resident or enroll their dependents in school (K-12).

NOTE: Nonresident military personnel stationed in California or their spouses may operate their vehicles with valid out-of-state license plates from their home state or the state where the military person was last stationed.

no, that isn't what it says, if you enroll as a CA resident to get resident tuition vote, etc, you can stay resident of elsewhere and pay non-resident tuition,

Gotcha. Thank you for clarifying.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 10:05:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
]I'm gonna go out on a limb and say CO and WA probably have similar policies..............  Feel free not to accept gainful employment in Bakersfield.

I'm sorry but I will be a resident and help you guys fight the good fight. I was just confused on if my car is registered in Colorado to my brother, would the 30 day "law" still apply.
View Quote

As stated earlier - cops are going to notice an out of state car driving the same route every day and more than likely it will be CHP that issues you the citation.  It's going to be an uphill battle to convince a judge the vehicle is properly registered to your brother in CO when you work in CA with a XX mile commute.  Don't confuse registration (use) and title (ownership) issues - your brother may the legal owner but the car is being operated in CA and CA wants it's money.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 10:51:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

As stated earlier - cops are going to notice an out of state car driving the same route every day and more than likely it will be CHP that issues you the citation.  It's going to be an uphill battle to convince a judge the vehicle is properly registered to your brother in CO when you work in CA with a XX mile commute.  Don't confuse registration (use) and title (ownership) issues - your brother may the legal owner but the car is being operated in CA and CA wants it's money.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gotcha. I'll eventually want a CCW anyways.

I understand that Bakersfield is in a county where it's fairly simple to receive a permit. What specifics do I need in California? Local training? Leo sign off? Thanks guys for all the help!
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 10:58:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Oh...

And best Breakfast burrito in town can be found at Panama Lane on the esst side of 99.

It is the Tacos Locos roach coach truck located on the south side between the chevron and dennys.

Get the Pastrami breakfast burrito with extra hot sauce.

The truck has been there for the better part of 10-15 years.   Everyone who I have bought them for agrees it is one of the best things they have ever tasted.    The hot sauce is awesome.    Burrito is about 5.50.    Comes with mashed potato style hashbrowns, bit of pinto beans, cheese, egg, and tons of pastrami.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:07:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Oh...

And best Breakfast burrito in town can be found at Panama Lane on the esst side of 99.

It is the Tacos Locos roach coach truck located on the south side between the chevron and dennys.

The truck has been there for the better part of 10-15 years.   Everyone who I have bought them for agrees it is one of the best things they have ever tasted.    The hot sauce is awesome.    Burrito is about 5.50.    Comes with mashed potato style hashbrowns, bit of pinto beans, cheese, egg, and tons of pastrami.
View Quote

Damn! I look forward to eating a couple of those! Made me hungry just reading about it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 7:40:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Damn! I look forward to eating a couple of those! Made me hungry just reading about it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Oh...

If you like Mexican food you are gonna find plenty of it.

Not the sad pathetic stuff you find in say some place like Wichita Kansas.    Yuck that was a bad culinary experience.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 1:59:37 PM EDT
[#10]
There used to be some nice Basque family style places, too  There used to big a big Armenian contingent up there.  Armenian style  middle-eastern is pretty good, too..

We have friends that live up there and one time while visiting and the chiles were being picked, we made homemade chile rellenos.

Speaking of sad Mexican food, in Lincoln, Nebraska, at "the best" Mexican food restaurant, they served tacos on raw folded over tortillas.  WHEAT tortillas, in Lincoln, Nebraska, home of the cornhushers and wheat flour tortillas.  Sigh
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 2:58:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 11:13:57 PM EDT
[#12]
I can't wait to try out the food. And I saw somewhere that annual range fee is $125 at the local range. That's pretty sweet!!
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 5:57:55 AM EDT
[#13]
If you ever make it over to Los Banos, eat lunch at the Wool Growers Association  Basque family style place.  
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 12:06:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I can't wait to try out the food. And I saw somewhere that annual range fee is $125 at the local range. That's pretty sweet!!
View Quote

There are 2 indoor ranges and one decent outdoor membership range.

2nd Amendment seems to have typical know it all dicks as employees, owner was a great guy but fled for Arizona.    Good Ol Boys isnt much further away and seems to be decent.    Then the outdoor range is 5 Dogs and is abojt a half hour drive from actual "Bakersfield".

Several other places to shoot.

I am turning away from shooting and going back to first love, Mustangs.    There are two road courses(buttonwillow and willow springs) and historic Famoso drag strip.    It is cheaper and more exciting to burn off a set of tires and a few tanks of gas.

As is with the rest of the country, avoid the walmarts...
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 9:40:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I understand that Bakersfield is in a county where it's fairly simple to receive a permit. What specifics do I need in California? Local training? Leo sign off? Thanks guys for all the help!
View Quote

Kern County has a very good 2A supporting sheriff--right now.  Donny Youngblood has been pretty good for us.  I'm currently going through the process myself.  Waiting for CA DOJ background check/approval.  

You'll still need to come up with a "good cause".  There will be plenty of support for you when you get here.  CA gets a bad rap for 2A...but the truth is that we have more gun people than some States have people.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 8:00:40 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm in the Pleasanton area right now, and boy is it beautiful. I'm already in love! I'll be here in the Bay Area for a couple of weeks and will definitely get too some Giant games, but what else should I do?

Thanks guys, what an awesome state.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 8:01:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Kern County has a very good 2A supporting sheriff--right now.  Donny Youngblood has been pretty good for us.  I'm currently going through the process myself.  Waiting for CA DOJ background check/approval.  

You'll still need to come up with a "good cause".  There will be plenty of support for you when you get here.  CA gets a bad rap for 2A...but the truth is that we have more gun people than some States have people.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How longs the process usually take?
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 8:02:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If you ever make it over to Los Banos, eat lunch at the Wool Growers Association  Basque family style place.  
View Quote

Yes sir! I'll take the familia there when I'm in Central CA
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 5:10:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Currently, less than two months.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 9:25:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In my area about 1-2 days.  It's really fast.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top