Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/5/2012 5:59:31 PM EDT
So I googled carbine classes in Los Angeles and found some seem awesome but cost alot ($500). Any of you know of a carbine class that won't cost almost as much as a carbine? Looking to spend up to $200. Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/5/2012 6:42:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I think this guy is in SoCal:

http://www.stcrispian.com
Link Posted: 8/5/2012 7:45:24 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Thank you Masterlou (I didn't pay him)

(Raahauges/Corona) Rifle 101: Sunday, 19 August 2012 @ 9:00 am - 1:00 pm $75.00 + $20 range fee

Rifle/Carbine 101: The Fundamentals of Rifle Marksmanship

*No prerequisites; for new rifle shooters or those interested in a refresher.

Topics Covered, Courses of Fire and Training Objective:

[*]4 Weapons safety rules, safety brief and casualty evacuation plan.

[*]Weapons condition of M-16/M-4/AR-15

[*]Mission of the Rifle

[*]Nomenclature of the rifle (M-16/M-4/AR-15)

[*]Fundamentals of rifle marksmanship

[*]Firing positions; prone, sitting, standing, kneeling and dual kneeling

[*]Misfire procedures with practical application

[*]Magazine change with practical application

[*]Weapons maintenance: cleaning and lubricating

[*]Engage a target from the prone slow

[*]Engage a target from the standing with type 1 misfire

[*]Engage a target from the sitting position

[*]Engage a target from the supported kneeling

[*]Engage a target from the standing and kneeling

[*]Failure drills

[*]Close with and engage target/s

[*]Buddy reload drill

Please contact me for any questions. 22 all five star reviews on Yelp.com

Stan

Link Posted: 8/5/2012 8:19:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Quoted:

(Raahauges/Corona) Rifle 101: Sunday, 19 August 2012 @ 9:00 am - 1:00 pm $75.00 + $20 range fee

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn77/Lance1775/CopyofDSCN3092.jpg

[*]Mission of the Rifle
    [*]Failure drills
    [*]Buddy reload drill

Stan

Nice!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/5/2012 8:22:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank you.
Link Posted: 8/6/2012 8:52:04 AM EDT
[#5]
I have no affiliation with this school so give us a review on this course after you take it.    I have never taken it from him, but he looks legit.  I heard about this guy from someone else.  Prices look good too.
Link Posted: 8/6/2012 9:59:49 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn77/Lance1775/CopyofDSCN3092.jpg

[*]Mission of the Rifle

[*]Failure drills

[*]Buddy reload drill

Stan

Aww sweet! I was hoping you would take up more classes down in Corona. I might actually be able to make this one.

Link Posted: 8/8/2012 3:43:05 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I have no affiliation with this school so give us a review on this course after you take it. I have never taken it from him, but he looks legit. I heard about this guy from someone else. Prices look good too.

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

28 March 2012

To any and all who are interested, I will say wholeheartedly Stan does a fantastic job training you with his course. He sticks the basics to you..... does not just 'Stick to the basics'. In short order, through lots of firing drills, you get really familiar with the working of the rifle. It's something you simply do not easily get while shooting with a friend or 3 in the boonies. You will NEVER get it on the benchrest. The only other way is to enlist- and Stan did not seem to want to make us do too many push-ups or run much.

He gave great attention to my sons, coaching them and then letting them shoot- a LOT, and correcting as we went along.

The environment for 101 is a very good place to get acquainted with slings, and how they do or do not work. It's a great place to find out that everyone.... EVERYONE has magazine issues from time to time. As a refresher, it is well worth it. For a new shooter, Stan has the perfect attitude to teach you. Not condescending (I am still trying to find out if he was a real Marine...In basic our range master was a Marine Gunnery Sgt...... and he was a whole lot different than Stan!!! He was there to teach you, and to share the experience with other shooters. This part I can't stress enough. For those who feel though they can shoot well, but really are not sure of how well they can truly 'handle' an AR15??? You will see 5-9 others there with you, practicing, having similar issues, and you will see that definitely, you will learn a lot, and your confidence will grow.

In Carbine 202, it is more advanced shooting, positions, lessons of balance, firing from cover/ concealment, and mixing pistol with rifle shooting. We ended the day slogging thru an awesome springtime rainstorm, getting a bit dirty and very wet......While the Delta and Seal guys shot from under the canopy, nice and dry.

One thing I will say, you get a lot of good shooting opportunity with your training. Our round count for my 2 sons and I was 2545 rifle, and about 100 total pistol for the 3 of us. And none of it was mad dash mag dumps. Everything was controlled fire. Or, as Stan says "Squeeze, surprise, BANG! RESET Trigger."

"Rojodiablo" from AR15.com

_________________________________________________________________________________________

17 October 2011

Stan,

I didn’t know I had such good form until I looked at the pictures! All kidding aside, I just wanted to thank you and I thought your class was very well thought out, to the point, and your teaching technique and the way you approach yourself in a professional manner.

We covered quite a bit in one day, but I did whole lot more shooting and learning through repetition as I am more of a hands on learner. I could tell you took little bit and pieces of what you thought was effective from other training classes and made it your own.

The personal attention, teaching style, your excellent interpersonal communications skills and your critique is what stood out to me most and I would not change anything that you’re doing right now. I think you are on the right track.

Although as your class grows, I hope you maintain the level of attention to students such as myself. It will be difficult, but I found that group size is just right.

I’m not sure if you were hesitant, but I hope you didn’t feel like this was just another class to me. I got the feeling that you thought I’ve been through this whole thing before and just left me alone. I just wanted to let you know that I soaked every bit of information and I was very receptive to open criticism.

There was a class I took that forced students out of their comfort zone with the mentality of "it’s our way or the highway.” That was my last and final class I will ever take with this [particular] group.

I believe if you maintain your current model then there is no doubt in my mind that you will have a waiting list through word of mouth. You will have mine since I am a very active member on Calguns.net.

I look forward to my next carbine class 202 and many more to come.

Many thanks,

L. N.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

9 October 2011

Dear Stan,

Thank you so much for your invaluable instruction today! Your classes tested the limits of not only my equipment, but my mental and physical abilities as well, and I thoroughly enjoyed every moment of it. I now have even greater respect for the USMC. God bless you guys.

Best regards,

Y. L.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

17 August 2011

This is a review of Stan08/St. Crispian Pistol Training Course. His original post was: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=463030

TLDR: Take Stan08’s tactical training course if you’re looking for exposure to and training in the practical/tactical side of things (and definitely something much more interesting and fun than just range/target shooting). It’s professionally, precisely, and politely run by a great guy, with lots and lots of information, training, and exposure to "real-life” tactical concepts.

Just so you know my background, I just picked up the whole gun thing a couple months ago, but have been going to the range ALOT and felt comfortable with "hitting the bullseye”-type of shooting (where I’m taking my time, working on basics, and trying to hit a dot somewhere), so anything beyond static target shooting is new to me. I’ve been trying to figure out the "next step”, so to speak, so I’ve been reading various forums looking for training/practice drills, and was also thinking of taking some type of training course. When I saw Stan08’s post for a rifle, pistol, and shotgun course, and then checked out his website and credentials, I thought this was exactly what I wanted - so I signed up.

I took only the pistol course offered by Stan08. He also offered courses for rifle and shotgun, but since I have neither, I didn’t take those courses; also, I figured I’d try one class first, since I wasn’t sure what the training course would be like. There were four of us in the pistol course, so the attention was almost like a one on one lesson (I’ve taken a one-on-one lesson at the range, where the instructor provided basic guidance on stance, grip, sight alignment, breathing, trigger control, etc.).

Stan started off with a very quick review of the basics of a safety and marksmanship. This was covered in maybe 10 or 15 minutes, so it was, apparently, assumed that you knew how to handle and shoot a pistol; i.e., I’m not sure this is a course for someone who’s never fired, or isn’t otherwise comfortable with, a pistol. I assume Stan would adjust the class for a beginner, but the other three students had been in the rifle course in the morning, so I’m guessing Stan was comfortable with everyone’s skill level.

After the very basics, we went into what is probably also basic for many of you, but for me was definitely new given my "range-only” experience. Stan covered drawing, reloading, and malfunction corrections. The steps, and the reason for each step, were precisely demonstrated and clearly explained (as one would expect given Stan’s military background), and we were encouraged to work on form and precision over speed. Stan was very patient, and I never felt intimidated, discouraged, or "inferior” in any way whatsoever. In fact, later in the day, I learned two lessons that I think I’ll take with me for as long as I’m shooting: (1) when reloading, you must check/index the magazine (I erroneously grabbed an unloaded magazine in my magazine pouch), and (2) I really need to work on my malfunction drills (as the day went on (and as I become more tired), Stan surprised me with a dud round, and I was like a deer in headlights). Both these lessons really impressed me with fact that if this was a real situation, I’d probably be dead because of my lack of training; yeah, that really caught my attention.

We then moved on to live fire, which included multiple drills and multiple positions (standing, kneeling, prone, urban prone, supine prone) firing from 3, 5, 15, and 25 yards. Each drill including firing from multiple magazines, so we were constantly working on proper reloading technique. Also, Stan would, every now and then, throw a "dud” in your magazine so you’d have to work on malfunctions (and also so you can see yourself flinching :P ). Lastly, we worked on a few firing/advancing drills and a buddy drill. Once the course was done, we were encouraged to stick around, continue practicing with Stan, and use the course as appropriate.

The whole course was about 3-4 hours, with about 250 rounds fired. The other students were very pleasant (and also seemed to enjoy themselves), and the whole experience was, to me, an A+. And that’s not even considering that it only cost me $75!!!

I asked Stan if he was going to offer this again, and he said he’s planning his next course weekend for October. Hopefully by then I’ll have my rifle and my shotgun (and be in better shape!), so I can take all three courses. In the meantime, I’ll be working on as much from the course as I can remember (bring a notepad, there’s ALOT of information).

If you’ve been just range shooting, I promise that this course will open your eyes to many new dimensions, and give you a much bigger/better perspective, of pistol-shooting. I’d assume that Stan would offer a more advanced version of the course based on the students’ skill levels, so I don’t want to make it sound like this is for beginners only. But, if you are a beginner, this is a perfect environment to really learn alot, expand your horizons, and have a really great time.

Finally, Stan really impressed upon me the quality of our armed forces; I must admit I don't know many professional soldiers. I think if he's in any way representative of the men and women that are defending our rights, country and way of life, we're in really good hands.

28 August 2011

I've only made minor modifications to my SP-01 because it was dead on coming right out of the box. First, I changed the factory recoil spring to a CZ recoil spring 11LB. Then, I changed the factory mainspring to the CZ mainspring 13LB. I did this to reduce the recoil power of the SP-01 hoping that would allow me to get better control. And it worked! At least it did when I'm shooting at one of those static gun range like the Firing Line.

The class I took with Stan at the St Crispian Academy really opened my eyes to my limitations. I spent two days with Stan working on the pistols –– three days in total working on my rifle and shotgun as well –– and a little over 500 rounds. We did a lot of moving and shooting drills against multiple targets in a variety of positions with and without a timer. What I found was that after the first couple of shots, my accuracy dropped by a huge amount. Yes, I was hitting the target, but not where I was aiming. I kept losing my front sight, I just couldn't find it when I was moving and especially when we were working on a timer.

For the first time, I realized there may be a place for laser sights after all. Maybe it's not just for the mall ninjas. Anyone with any recommendations?

Anyway, I learned that I still have a lot of work to do. So, I'm going to be back at the St. Crispian Academy for the foreseeable future.

13 August 2011

Great class, Great instructor and very nice person to boot.

Had a lot of fun, shot a lot of ammo and learned a lot...gonna sleep like a baby tonight. Really looking forward to the next class.

Great class, Great instructor and very nice person to boot. Had a lot of fun, shot a lot of ammo and learned a lot...gonna sleep like a baby tonight. Really looking forward to the next class.

13 August 2011

I did the rifle class with Stan this morning. It was a great experience. I learned a lot of solid technique in a near one on one setting. Stan was cool and approachable all morning. I now have drills and techniques to drill when i head out to BLM land. I would do this again for sure.

June 2011

Stan,

So I'm a little annoyed at you right now! I'm at drill weekend and shot the pistol (yes, for the THIRD time this year!) and tried out your lean-back technique. I got a a 349 pre-qual and 361 qual (which was the range high).

Dude! You should have told me about that technique a year ago!!!

Anyway, thought I'd let you know that your advice worked out for me today.

Ben

Captain, USMC

Link Posted: 8/8/2012 4:29:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks Stan 08 my brother and I are really looking forward to the class. First I have to rig up and get the right equipment.
Link Posted: 8/8/2012 9:06:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Took my sons to the 101/202 course. Excellent day of great training. Trying to get my chit together to head in for the 303 combined tactics class. Soon; just too much work right now.

Well, well worth the investment.
Link Posted: 8/9/2012 6:47:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Took my sons to the 101/202 course. Excellent day of great training. Trying to get my chit together to head in for the 303 combined tactics class. Soon; just too much work right now.

Does the BB get in the way of being able to properly do the carbine course? Im in the process of going the featureless route but I'm curios as to whether there were other 10 rd limited BB people.

Link Posted: 8/14/2012 10:48:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does the BB get in the way of being able to properly do the carbine course? Im in the process of going the featureless route but I'm curios as to whether there were other 10 rd limited BB people.

Not really a problem. Some use a glove with a button of some type glued into the tip. Many have a tool on their wrist, and stuff like that. The good thing is, it's the same for everyone, so you do not lose a bunch of time compared to others in the course.
My key recommendations: Bring a LOT of magazines. With my 2 sons, I brought around 30. I shoot Wolf ammo, and I load it on stripper clips. Loading mags quickly really helps save you tons and tons of time. Get a bunch of stripper clips, and take a little time stacking ammo. It was really helpful. If I had to pick a number of mags????? 10 would be around correct.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top