Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2017 1:58:07 AM EDT
Friend in G-ville recently came to the realization that he wants a firearm to protect his family in their new house.  He is smart enough to know he should not get one without proper training.  I am in Daytona so a little bit far away to help him out.

Does anyone know of a good instructor for basic safety, handling, and marksmanship in the Gainesville area?  Also are there any rental ranges there he could go to and try a couple different weapons?

I figure once I have him hooked he will have an AR, blinged out Glock, and be going to Haley Strategic classes within a couple years.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 11:35:09 AM EDT
[#1]
good target range at GTR.  Gainesville Target Range.  Good indoor range at Picketts in Micanopy.   Lawful Defense, on 441 North,  is a great place to stop in, look around, and ask questions about the local scene.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 6:26:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Send member CS223 a message. He lives just north of Gainesville in Alachua.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 3:11:17 PM EDT
[#3]
@Aikibiker

There is:

Focused Fire Training, out of Melrose.. Instructor is Tommy Sapp... He runs Carbine and handgun classes at all levels
Focused Fire Training

And Defensive Training Group out of Gainesville..... Instructor is Bill Quirk... He runs a lot of classes out of GTR mentioned above.
DTG

And as mentioned above... Harry Beckwiths aka Picketts...They run a myriad of different classes through the year.
HBWG
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:51:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
@Aikibiker

There is:

Focused Fire Training, out of Melrose.. Instructor is Tommy Sapp... He runs Carbine and handgun classes at all levels
Focused Fire Training

And Defensive Training Group out of Gainesville..... Instructor is Bill Quirk... He runs a lot of classes out of GTR mentioned above.
DTG

And as mentioned above... Harry Beckwiths aka Picketts...They run a myriad of different classes through the year.
HBWG
View Quote
Thank you I will send my friend some links so he can look into them.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 4:13:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Thank you I will send my friend some links so he can look into them.
View Quote

I've taken several classes with Bill Quirk and enjoyed them all. Nice guy, good instructor. I learned a lot and had fun.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:31:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Bill Quirk is a great guy. GPD detective or former. Also the folks at Lawful Defense are a good contact for classes. I know they have active duty LE teach some courses. 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top