Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/30/2017 8:14:44 PM EDT
Looking for someone to hire that can fix this. This is happening over our window that overhangs outside. Underneath the window was no support. The wife wanted to add stone over the stucco around the window when we first moved in. So I did. Built a support under the window and had at it. I'm wondering if this is a result from the weight of the stone added 15 years ago?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 10:05:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Need a lot more detail to help point you in the right direction.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 10:12:12 PM EDT
[#2]
OP edited
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 10:31:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Is there any cracking below the window?  Any cracking in the floor?  Is the cracking just to one side as the picture shows?  What is the roof area over it?  Is it a valley close by or in the middle of a wall where it's just the roof overhang?  You may want to remove the drywall around the window to see what's going on behind it, see if the masonry block is cracked, any water penetration, etc...
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 8:32:48 AM EDT
[#4]
You might want to ask this in GD. My first thought was to check the sinkhole maps, but Brevard county doesn't appear to participate in the epidemic of the counties around Tampa Bay.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 8:46:30 AM EDT
[#5]
10-4

I have something in GD now, getting a lot of silly banter but a few good points.

I'm going to take more pictures of the outside area showing the window, ground, roof, etc. There's a crack exactly same spot but outside as well. I'm thinking this stone I added it a problem being that its a framed house.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 11:54:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
10-4

I have something in GD now, getting a lot of silly banter but a few good points.

I'm going to take more pictures of the outside area showing the window, ground, roof, etc. There's a crack exactly same spot but outside as well. I'm thinking this stone I added it a problem being that its a framed house.
View Quote
That right there says it all.  It was not designed to carry that additional weight.  IE: slab, the framing member sizing, etc...
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 12:17:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Good to know. So basically remove the stone. Then remove the drywall, fix the joints, etc. ??
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 1:34:05 PM EDT
[#8]
IF it is not growing I would fill and re-tape.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 2:10:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Good to know. So basically remove the stone. Then remove the drywall, fix the joints, etc. ??
View Quote
You may want to contact a company that can fix slabs that have settled, you might be able to lift that area and pour/pump concrete under that area to support that weight.  If that can be done, then make the repairs both interior & exterior.  Maybe consult an engineer.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 3:39:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
IF it is not growing I would fill and re-tape.
View Quote
I was thinking the same as you since I'm a master-spackler, but thread title says it is growing so I think he better listen to Campy on this one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top