Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/27/2017 7:14:19 AM EDT
With a Republican supermajority in both houses of the state legislature and a Republican Governor.

They've got this kind of BS down to a science.

From NRA NILA:

Florida Report! Prosecutors Misinform Judiciary Comm. in Testimony on Gun Bill

DATE:March 26, 2017
TO:USF & NRA Members and Friends
 USF Executive Director
 NRA Past President

Two baffling and very troubling things happened during testimony on HB-245, the Burden of Proof bill, in the House Judiciary Committee on Thursday, March 23, 2017.

ONE:  The Florida representative of NY Mayor Michael Bloomberg's Moms Demand Action (MDA)  gave testimony that sounded like it was written by the Florida Prosecuting Attorneys Association (FPAA). 

In testimony she claimed, "State prosecutors stand with us asserting that this bill will make it harder to prosecute gun crimes." 

She went on to claim that Florida's prosecutors are already overworked and overburdened and that they have high case loads and low budgets.

Sounding more and more like State Attorney Phil Archer's mantra, she echoed Archer's previous testimony complaining about the workloads and funding of prosecutors.

All of that is troubling because according to data from the Justice Administrative Commission, State Attorneys/prosecutors had a cash surplus of over $50 million at the end of BOTH of their last two fiscal years and their case load is down over 30% for the last 5 years. 

That doesn't sound like they're underfunded and overworked.  They clearly have adequate staff and funding to do their jobs.

The most curious and subsequently telling thing the Bloomberg Moms leader said was, "All 20 of Florida's State Attorneys oppose this bill."  That was something new that had been not reported before.  It begged the question, "How could she know that?" 

TWO: That question was answered pretty quickly when State Attorney Phil Archer, representing the Prosecuting  Attorneys Association, said the same thing.  Archer said, "I appreciate the reduction in the standard of proof. I think that makes it a little better but all 20 State Attorneys are still very much opposed to this bill."

Bingo! it looks like the prosecutors association is feeding testimony to Bloomberg's Moms Group.

But more importantly, the statement -- made by both the Bloomberg Group and State Attorney Phil Archer -- is false. 

A text message from a State Attorney received shortly after the statement was made said the statement was false.  So at least one State Attorney, if not more, have not taken a position against the bill.

We expect people to be truthful, particularly when they testify before committees.  It is especially troubling when a State Attorney representing the Florida Prosecuting Attorneys Association is untruthful. Further troubling is the lack of respect for justice and innocent people who act in self-defense.

In some cases, by not doing proper investigations and by not objectively evaluating cases before charging innocent citizens in self defense cases, some prosecutors end up trying to extort plea bargains from frightened citizens to cover their lack of evidence and send innocent people to prison. 

That may save prosecutors money on a trial, but it imposes an enormous financial burden and is devastating to innocent people and their families.

You need to know when the people who are elected to protect the rights of law-abiding people are willfully working to subvert those rights.  Under our nation's judicial system, you are innocent until proven guilty.  A prosecutor who thinks you should be guilty until you can prove yourself innocent is not looking out for you or justice. 
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 9:05:43 AM EDT
[#1]
I would be calling every prosecutor and demand they sue her for false statements. I would also be calling the Reps and having charges brought against her for false testimony. This will be the only way to stop this non-sense.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 4:11:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I bet a lot of prosecutors would love to have all our laws changed so that defendants are considered guilty and must prove their innocence...makes their job much easier, but it isn't the way the law works and it shouldn't in this situation either.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 10:58:45 PM EDT
[#3]
today I called both sen Nelson & Sen.Rubio the phone rang twice & hung up not even a machine.  they are up to no good
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 2:39:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Apparently Bloomberg money talks louder than the voter base these days.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 3:23:00 PM EDT
[#5]
It would seem the swamp extends much further then Washington DC.  Are there any politicians left that simply speak the truth?
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 8:07:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It would seem the swamp extends much further then Washington DC.  Are there any politicians left that simply speak the truth?
View Quote
Nope. That age is over.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 8:08:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
Other than The President; not very many.

Although I despise the fact that the theme parks in this state are able to buy so much influence, I can somehow understand that they want to put their business interests ahead of those of the local populace, but having out of state dirt bags like Bloomberg buying influence to push his private agenda is fare more obscene.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 7:12:55 AM EDT
[#8]
The GPOe / RINOs are not just in Washington D. C.  We need to look at actions not just for a D or an R when voting.  In short, we did it to ourselves.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 5:37:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
I was shocked watching the Florida government on TV. It's like a good old boys club where they all drink together, eat together, golf together and decide policy together. Everything else is just a show for the stupid public.

They only care when we think at election time. And, the more outside money can be brought in the less they will care what we think.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 9:02:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Marion Hammer fits in nicely with the shitty Rs in Tally.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top