Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/25/2017 1:36:47 PM EDT
I'm going to be in Tampa for a week in May (business travel, unfortunately).  It's a new city for me, so I'm looking for some recommendations on places to eat.  I'm good with any type of food, as long as it's good.

I don't know if I'm going to manage to free up time for anything other than work and eating, but if there's anything else in Tampa that I shouldn't miss, please let me know.  

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 4:25:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Cuban! Don't follow the usual advice to go to the Columbia or La Teresita. You want somewhere real, and slightly dingy, like my favorite, El Gallo De Oro. They're only open for lunch though.

Also, our BBQ is not bad, and is very ecumenical, not really favoring one region or another. Mission BBQ and First Choice are my favorites. Kojaks used to be good but is now riding on it's reputation. If you go to Mission, get there before noon, because they play the national anthem everyday at noon. It's cool to see an entire restaurant (including the workers) stop what they're doing, stand, and honor the flag.

Also, seafood. Big Ray's Fish Camp in Tampa, and Frenchy's in Clearwater.

Also, stop by Shooter's World.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 6:01:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I've only been to Bush Gardens  & some rather interesting entertainment spots.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 7:47:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Area? Westshore, downtown or university?
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 8:08:38 PM EDT
[#4]
It looks like I'll be close to the Tampa airport, whatever part of town that is, but I'm willing to take a drive to get to anything good.

Cuban is an excellent suggestion!  I like the sound of El Gallo de Oro.  Definitely on the list now.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 10:12:34 PM EDT
[#5]
People watch a Ybor. Enjoy a cigar. 
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 11:58:06 PM EDT
[#6]
If you're a cigar guy, check out Davidoff lounge in Westshore.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:21:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Ulele is North of the Riverwalk North of downtown. Very trendy with a unique Florida menu.
You've probably already heard of Bern's steakhouse in SoHo.
Charley's steakhouse in Westshore is very good.
IF you feel like travelling across the Bay....
Salt Rock Grill in Indian Rocks Beach
Island Way Grill in Clearwater Beach
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 5:48:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Texas Cattle Company in St. Pete for steak. I think it's better than Bern's and it supposedly has the same owners and meat as Charley's in Tampa.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 7:19:37 AM EDT
[#9]
The best Cuban close to you would be 10 minutes S of West Shore Mall at Robert's meats, 3435 S West Shore, 33629, Take out, 832 3584. Have it pressed with mustard, mayo and pickles only. NO LETTUCE OR TOMATO! An abomination on a Cuban. Great smoked pulled pork, ribs, Amber Jack spread and Smoked Mullet too. Killer Grouper sandwich also.

For steaks, If you can't snag reservations at Bern's, Charlie's on Cypress is excellent.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top