Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2017 4:25:15 PM EDT
Going to be in Orlando for 3 days. What are the "don't miss" places to eat, visit, etc, and any general tips?
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 8:33:01 PM EDT
[#1]
It all depends on what you are into. There are so many good places to eat that it's impossible to "do it all". It also depends on which area of town you will be in. I live on the south side, within earshot of Sea World so there is lots of tourist type stuff around us. If you head east there is a good place for airboat rides and cocoa beach is less than an hours drive. On the north side there are a few good state parks with hiking and canoeing, etc. West is a little more spread out, but there is a fantastic bike trail going through some nice little towns. I used to live out there in a town called Winter Garden, great little main street USA with some good restaurants. Obviously there is Disney, Sea World and Universal Studios. So, like I said, it all depends what you are looking for! I've lived here my whole life, except for the one year I lived in Michigan, so I'd be more than happy to help you figure some stuff out if you need!
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 5:05:14 PM EDT
[#2]
We'll be staying at the Hyatt Regency downtown. We're into casual easy paced stuff like museums, zoos, general sight-seeing, etc... As for food, Steaks, Tacos, and Italian seem to top our lists.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 6:17:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Check out Texas De Brazil or Fogo de Chao on I-drive if you want a great all you can eat south american steakhouse experience. Whatever you do, hit the salad bar last
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 9:18:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Roccos tacos is the key if you want mexican food(you'll thank me later)
charlies steak house for steak
tu tu tango for the wild stuff
hash house a go go for breakfast(you'll thank me later)

cant give you too many tips on places to see because I'm a nightclub/bar kinda guy.I will say if you feel like going out one night to go check out downtown church street its always a very interesting time.Other than the aquarium and some gun stores I really don't do too much else when i'm there lol.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 9:45:26 PM EDT
[#5]
We have a Texas de Brazil in Detroit and we've been to Hash House A-Go-Go in Vegas.

I feel like I've heard of Rocco's Tacos... have they been on TV (Food Network, etc) before?
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 11:48:53 PM EDT
[#6]
I enjoyed Twin Peaks, they have venison chili. Its supposed to look like a ski lodge and the waitresses wear bikinis and ski boots.

passed by this place but no idea what it is like inside. Looks like an upside down bank, my other photos came out more blurry as we never got close while not moving. its some kind of attraction. Its near the Hyatt by Sea World and the Convention Center.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 2:02:54 AM EDT
[#7]
That place is called Wonder Works.  It's mostly a giant building of science type attractions, haven't been in a very long time but it was cool. I'll second the suggestion for Rocco's, that's close by my house and we go there a bit. Also across the street from that is a place called The Whiskey that has good burgers and such. Charlies has great steak as well as another place called Christner's, either one is fine dining.

Not many offerings in the way of museums and zoos. Right downtown is a smaller florida history museum and the only zoo is in Sanford which is about 40 minutes north. Gatorland is over by me also, that's a place our relatives always like to visit when they come down.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 8:52:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I enjoyed Twin Peaks, they have venison chili. Its supposed to look like a ski lodge and the waitresses wear bikinis and ski boots.

passed by this place but no idea what it is like inside. Looks like an upside down bank, my other photos came out more blurry as we never got close while not moving. its some kind of attraction. Its near the Hyatt by Sea World and the Convention Center.
https://scontent-mia1-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/16195569_10202655688350108_191972674833478193_n.jpg?oh=42c142ae8df3bf70a51a5a8bc7179fe7&oe=593B850A
View Quote

Lol, I eat at Twin Peaks (for the Venison Chili) about every 3 weeks. There's 3 of them in my AO.
The Wonder Works place could be interesting; I love science shit. ETA: Just checked the site and it looks like it's aimed at children. Bummer.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 10:13:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Ya Wonder Works is probably more for families with younger kids. Orlando is an interesting city, downtown is nice but it's all nightlife. There are some "things to do" scattered around, but most of that stuff is concentrated the closer you get towads the main theme parks. You could look up International Drive, that road is where wonder works is but there is a Ripleys believe it or not, a little titanic museum that my son loved, and about a million restaurants. That's like a 15 min drive from downtown, but that's where most of the attractions will be.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 6:00:49 PM EDT
[#10]
There are restaurants aplenty, all around the area you mention, and some good suggestions already made.

Steak - Charley's or Capital Grille
Italian - Maggianos
Mexican - Chuy's

You mention science, I'd recommend you consider the drive to the Kennedy Space Centre, not too far away, but a hugely interesting and moving experience.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 10:55:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Go to Gander Mountain in Lake Mary - just north of Orlando and play in their 300° simulator - I promise that will be the fastes 30 mis of your life (you go get into one of the theme parks and you will be in for the slowest hours of your life - ha)

Then again - I would skip Micky Mouse Town and head to St. Augustine!

Red
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top