Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2017 7:19:26 PM EDT
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/politics/os-paddling-boats-licensing-controversy-20170127-story.html
I guess bicycles are next if they can get this.  Then shoes.  
A citizens panel assembled by state-boating authorities will meet in Orlando on Wednesday to explore what could become a path to adopting registration and fees for small boats powered by humans, wind and currents.

"That sounds like a root canal for a paddler," said retired Coast Guard officer William Griswold, a member of the Non-Motorized Boats Working Group, a panel reporting ultimately to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission. "But we need to start to get a grip on how many of these boats are out there."

Proposals for licensing Florida's canoes, kayaks and other motorless craft have surfaced in past years.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 7:56:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I find it impossible for this to become law with our current state administration
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 8:48:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Good thing nobody knows about my ghost kayak.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 9:53:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I find it impossible for this to become law with our current state administration
View Quote
You would think.  I can't believe it's even being discussed by some officially sanctioned group.  Evidently it's been tossed around for a few years.  Never underestimate the retarded stuff politicians can do if you don't stay on to of them.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 9:55:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
You'll have to keep it in the closet next to your ghost machinegun.  You take it out without your tax sticker and the law will be all over you.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 6:06:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/politics/os-paddling-boats-licensing-controversy-20170127-story.html
I guess bicycles are next if they can get this.  Then shoes.  
A citizens panel assembled by state-boating authorities will meet in Orlando on Wednesday to explore what could become a path to adopting registration and fees for small boats powered by humans, wind and currents.

"That sounds like a root canal for a paddler," said retired Coast Guard officer William Griswold, a member of the Non-Motorized Boats Working Group, a panel reporting ultimately to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission. "But we need to start to get a grip on how many of these boats are out there generate more revenue and overall government control."

Proposals for licensing Florida's canoes, kayaks and other motorless craft have surfaced in past years.
View Quote
View Quote

Fixed it.

I don't canoe or kayak, but this is ridiculous. What's next, licensing of your kid's bigwheel or skateboard? How about those shoes with the skates in them while we're at it?
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 2:15:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Fixed it.

I don't canoe or kayak, but this is ridiculous. What's next, licensing of your kid's bigwheel or skateboard? How about those shoes with the skates in them while we're at it?
View Quote

You really shouldn't give them any other ideas.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 6:54:57 PM EDT
[#7]
FWC came out today and said they were against it. So, that was surprising

Read it here
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 8:43:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
FWC came out today and said they were against it. So, that was surprising

Read it here
View Quote

They already have their hands full policing all of the power boats.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 10:56:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Fixed it.

View Quote

What about a tube or floating on logs?
The person that brought this up needs to be dumped.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 8:33:31 AM EDT
[#10]
"But we need to start to get a grip on how many of these boats are out there."

That is about the dumbest thing I have read all week
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 11:14:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Bicycles already have to be registered. Its been that way for years. In my area.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 12:06:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Bicycles already have to be registered. Its been that way for years. In my area.
View Quote
Not in my area and I have been all over the State with it and never have been checked.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 10:32:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
 Details.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 11:32:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
 Details.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
 Details.

Yea, curious where this is too
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 8:36:15 AM EDT
[#15]
I think we have bicycle registration here in Key West, but I believe it is a voluntary thing.  They say it will help you get your bike back if it is stolen.  MMMMkay.  When I used to ride bikes around town, I never licensed them.  There is always a war going on with the bike riders and the car drivers.  They all either drive or ride like shit.  It is always something.  Anyway, I have never licensed bikes, but I did run from the bike cop one time and got away.  My husband still laughs about that one.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 9:50:49 AM EDT
[#16]
hey, it's all about the money.  The revenue stream is government's #1 concern, at all times.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 1:35:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
You'll have to keep it in the closet next to your ghost machinegun.  You take it out without your tax sticker and the law will be all over you.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's OK, he lost it in a shooting accident.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 1:51:59 AM EDT
[#18]
never happen hotels have fleets of kyaks, catamarans, paddelboats  & canoes for rent

hotels should not abide this so it should die
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 1:53:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
"But we need to start to get a grip on how many of these boats are out there."

That is about the dumbest thing I have read all week
View Quote

he means there are thousands & we can get $100 for each one
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 6:10:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Wonder if you will have to carry safety equipment like flairs, flashlight, whistle or horn, PFD's, fire extinguisher, throwable cushion and have your paperwork like I do in my 17' Canoe/kicker rig?

Link Posted: 2/15/2017 10:35:50 AM EDT
[#21]
So what about all the paperwork everyone threw away when they bought them? No reciepts, statement of origin and in many cases no serial numbers.
I wonder if pool floaties and foam noodles are next?
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 7:03:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
So what about all the paperwork everyone threw away when they bought them? No reciepts, statement of origin and in many cases no serial numbers.
I wonder if pool floaties and foam noodles are next?
View Quote

Great idea, I will forward your thoughts to the state for consideration!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top