Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2017 8:39:14 PM EDT
Hey all, miss you and your warm weather, hope the Ft Myers Crew still does shoots - gotta question re private transfer.

A friend has a CO resident that is a traveling doctor in Naples that wants to buy a pistol off him.  It's a private sale and as long that the mag limits back to CO are adhered to...can it be sold from private FL to private CO resident?  Traveler has no disqualifying 4473 issues and is hoping to get a FL non-res CCW permit.  

Thank you as always from Chuck.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 10:56:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Unfortunately no, an out of stater is supposed to do the ffl gig from what I recall and likely will need to be sent to an ffl in his state.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 11:48:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Unfortunately no, an out of stater is supposed to do the ffl gig from what I recall and likely will need to be sent to an ffl in his state.
View Quote
Let me be clear this is a FTF deal in the state of FL - FL resident to Co resident.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 12:48:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Let me be clear this is a FTF deal in the state of FL - FL resident to Co resident.
View Quote

Pretty sure if an out of state resident is involved it goes to a FFL in the state he resides for transfer... legally.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 4:56:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 7:40:54 AM EDT
[#5]
still NO.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 7:41:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
No go, needs to "transfer" thru a FFL.
View Quote

even then it would have to transfer through a CO ffl for buyer to receive it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 7:46:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 10:36:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Chuck and I know one another - I think he got my drift. 
View Quote
Thanks guys & you personally Chris.  I advised him to get it shipped to CO then the doc can bring it into the state legally and carry it on his CO permit.  I think there was some confusion on the reciprocating of carry conceal vs ability to buy pistols vs long guns.  

Hell, I had to ask you guys given that I bought a long gun off Kieth at FM Shoot Straight on my vaca in January as a PA resident cuz he wanted if dumped (for the record - SS gave be a deal on a Tikka CTR that is better than used EE prices) - they're not completely evil.  

Thanks as always FLHTF - make sure you get Travis to host the next fat guy shoot on the SS Arfcom   Duck-tape flip flops and band-AIDS are required. 
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 11:19:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Any handgun that crosses state lines to a non resident has to go thru a FFL in the transferee's state of residence. Long guns are GTG to any state as long as they are legal in that state. The contiguous state clause tossed many years ago. 
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 11:31:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Any handgun that crosses state lines to a non resident has to go thru a FFL in the transferee's state of residence. Long guns are GTG to any state as long as they are legal in that state. The contiguous state clause tossed many years ago. 
View Quote

But, just for the record, long guns can not transfer FTF to a non resident.  A non resident can buy a long gun from an FFL.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top