Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2017 2:15:34 AM EDT
http://www.univision.com/miami/wltv/noticias/tiroteos/tranquilo-vecindario-del-suroeste-de-miami-fue-sorprendido-por-una-balacera-video

To sum it up, a resident of a not-so-good neighborhood west of Miami's Little Havana noticed three men outside of his home trying to steal the wheels from his car. After calling 911 and waiting 15 minutes, the news report says "he decided to take matters into his own hands" and let the rounds fly from his AK-47, hurting two of the three men. The third got away. The resident was not charged with any crime. I always understood using a firearm was only allowed when your life or someone else's was in danger, and in this situation only when the criminals were entering your home interior not your driveway?

Is this in violation of FS 790.15?
FS 790.15
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 9:58:07 AM EDT
[#1]
I know that with a concealed permit you can use deadly force to prevent the commission of a forcible felony.

776.08 Forcible felony.—“Forcible felony” means treason; murder; manslaughter; sexual battery; carjacking; home-invasion robbery; robbery; burglary; arson; kidnapping; aggravated assault; aggravated battery; aggravated stalking; aircraft piracy; unlawful throwing, placing, or discharging of a destructive device or bomb ...
View Quote

I'm sure in the castle doctrine and/or stand your ground language includes something similar.

Now, the suspects weren't killed, so maybe that'd change things a bit.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 10:20:49 AM EDT
[#2]
With lawyers today and Miami being the democrat central I suspect this guy will spend alot of time in court in the near future.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 4:28:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks like that guy did more damage to his own car more than anything else.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 10:13:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Did you READ the link you posted?

s. 775.083. This section does not apply to a person lawfully defending life or property

If the wheels were expensive enough to qualify for a felony property charge.....

Personally, I would step out and confront prior to popping off rounds.

Chances are they see and armed angry old fat guy barefoot, in underants, wearing a plate carrier coming their way, they are going to take to the leg with no shots being fired.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 10:19:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

s. 775.083. This section does not apply to a person lawfully defending life or property

If the wheels were expensive enough to qualify for a felony property charge.....

Chances are they see and armed angry old fat guy barefoot, in underants, wearing a plate carrier coming their way, they are going to take to the leg with no shots being fired.
View Quote

Dang. Missed that important piece of text. Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 10:31:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

[color=#0000ff]s. 775.083. This section does not apply to a person lawfully defending life or[/color] property

View Quote

Chapter 776 determines what is lawful.  It is a short chapter.  If you own a gun you should read it.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0700-0799/0776/0776ContentsIndex.html&StatuteYear=2016&Title=-%3E2016-%3EChapter%20776
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 10:44:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Chapter 776 determines what is lawful.  It is a short chapter.  If you own a gun you should read it.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0700-0799/0776/0776ContentsIndex.html&StatuteYear=2016&Title=-%3E2016-%3EChapter%20776
View Quote

Thanks, I'm definitely not an expert and I admit there is plenty I'm hoping to learn in terms of firearms and law.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 7:55:09 PM EDT
[#8]
should have killed them
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top