Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2017 12:06:26 PM EDT
I recently moved to FL and have some generic gun law questions that I really haven't found clear answers to it without being a legalese answer.

So I have not switched my drivers license over yet, but have currently have an out of state ccw permit.  I have done the address change form online, but is there anything else I need to do since my state of residence has changed?

My NFA items (suppressors) I submitted the form that I read is not required, but is there anything else I need to do?

Purchasing firearms, what's required?  Wait period?  Costs of background checks?  Any training required (for the wife question) or special license for handguns?  Pretty sure the answer is no, but want to double check.

Powder limits?  In MD you could only have a couple pounds of gun powder in your home.  Any kind of limit like that here?

Carrying in vehicle allowed with permit?  I have seen these mounts or holster type things people would stick their gun in their trucks?  Living in MD I know these were not allowed.  Are these allowed?  Loaded or unloaded?  Any other info?

Concealed carry not allowed in certain areas or places?

Thanks for any info or help!
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 12:44:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not going to answer all of those is one post, but here is the answer to your last question.  The controlling statute is 790.06.

(12)(a) A license issued under this section does not authorize any person to openly carry a handgun or carry a concealed weapon or firearm into:
1. Any place of nuisance as defined in s. 823.05;
2. Any police, sheriff, or highway patrol station;
3. Any detention facility, prison, or jail;
4. Any courthouse;
5. Any courtroom, except that nothing in this section would preclude a judge from carrying a concealed weapon or determining who will carry a concealed weapon in his or her courtroom;
6. Any polling place;
7. Any meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special district;
8. Any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof;
9. Any school, college, or professional athletic event not related to firearms;
10. Any elementary or secondary school facility or administration building;
11. Any career center;
12. Any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose;
13. Any college or university facility unless the licensee is a registered student, employee, or faculty member of such college or university and the weapon is a stun gun or nonlethal electric weapon or device designed solely for defensive purposes and the weapon does not fire a dart or projectile;
14. The inside of the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport, provided that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, which firearm is encased for shipment for purposes of checking such firearm as baggage to be lawfully transported on any aircraft; or
15. Any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 12:58:38 PM EDT
[#2]
With a license you can carry in you vehicle any way you want as long as it is concealed.

I believe only Federal limits apply to powder.  It you going to store more than 20 pounds you may want to check further.

Firearms purchased by a licensee do not have a waiting period but they do have a 5 dollar background check.  Without a license the waiting period is determined by the county. No training is required.

Silencers:  Florida statues does not address silencers except to define them as firearms.  So any statute that applies to firearms applies to silencer, but there are no NFA specific restrictions.  Some other NFA items do have restrictions.

I'm confused with your licence issue.  Do you currently hold a FLORIDA concealed weapons and firearms licence?

Don't put off switching your DL.  There are various actions that will trigger the requirement and it is a very short time period. IIRC 10 days.

You specifically mentioned that you did not want an answer with a lot of legalize.  I have tried to keep it simple.  BUT I have therefore left out a lot of little stuff.  Please ask if in doubt
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 1:10:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm confused with your licence issue.  Do you currently hold a FLORIDA concealed weapons and firearms licence?
View Quote

I had my Fl CCW before I moved here, I just changed my address to my Florida license once I moved here.

Is this the same as the firearm license?
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 1:31:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I had my Fl CCW before I moved here, I just changed my address to my Florida license once I moved here.

Is this the same as the firearm license?
View Quote

OK, I'm a little confused.

Florida calls their concealed weapons license a "Florida Concealed Weapons and Firearms Licence."  We call it the FLCWFL.  Look at yours.  That is what it says at the top.

As the name implies, in Florida the license allows you to carry weapons in addition to firearms.

For the purposes of this section, concealed weapons or concealed firearms are defined as a handgun, electronic weapon or device, tear gas gun, knife, or billie, but the term does not include a machine gun as defined in s. 790.001(9)

If you changed your address on the website, you are GTG.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 2:22:56 PM EDT
[#5]
READ this.

It's good for every gun owner to read it through, just for the background, even if everything doesn't apply.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 2:51:30 PM EDT
[#6]
You may want to browse this forum.

http://www.floridaconcealedcarry.com/Forum/forum.php
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 3:32:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I recently moved to FL and have some generic gun law questions that I really haven't found clear answers to it without being a legalese answer.

So I have not switched my drivers license over yet, but have currently have an out of state ccw permit.  I have done the address change form online, but is there anything else I need to do since my state of residence has changed?

My NFA items (suppressors) I submitted the form that I read is not required, but is there anything else I need to do?

Purchasing firearms, what's required?  Wait period?  Costs of background checks?  Any training required (for the wife question) or special license for handguns?  Pretty sure the answer is no, but want to double check.

Purchasing a firearm in Florida only requires a background check.  There is no special license nor do you need to give the local law enforcement office the spent cases.

Powder limits?  In MD you could only have a couple pounds of gun powder in your home.  Any kind of limit like that here?

Carrying in vehicle allowed with permit?  I have seen these mounts or holster type things people would stick their gun in their trucks?  Living in MD I know these were not allowed.  Are these allowed?  Loaded or unloaded?  Any other info?

Yes and even loaded.  There is no such thing as a three step rule.  It must be securely encased.  I.e.  A snapped holster, a shoe box, the box the gun came in, a glove box or center console of the vehicle.  Read FSS790 to get a better understanding of the law.

View Quote
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 3:46:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Welcome. One big thing is never brandish your gun. Big No, No.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 6:33:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Never?  I'd say in a threat situation you can surely brandish if it deescalates the situation.  Not usually the best case scenario but it certain circumstances it is acceptable.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 9:43:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Never?  I'd say in a threat situation you can surely brandish if it deescalates the situation.  Not usually the best case scenario but it certain circumstances it is acceptable.
View Quote

The OP has requested we reply with NON-Legalize, so this is not for him but for the rest of you.

Guys, the word "brandish" does not appear in Florida Statutes.  Note the exception "necessary for self-defense"

790.10 Improper exhibition of dangerous weapons or firearms.—If any person having or carrying any dirk, sword, sword cane, firearm, electric weapon or device, or other weapon shall, in the presence of one or more persons, exhibit the same in a rude, careless, angry, or threatening manner, not in necessary self-defense, the person so offending shall be guilty of a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

776.012 Use or threatened use of force in defense of person.—
(2) A person is justified in using or threatening to use deadly force if he or she reasonably believes that using or threatening to use such force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the imminent commission of a forcible felony. A person who uses or threatens to use deadly force in accordance with this subsection does not have a duty to retreat and has the right to stand his or her ground if the person using or threatening to use the deadly force is not engaged in a criminal activity and is in a place where he or she has a right to be.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 7:32:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

I do not have all of my resources available to me right now but if I remember correctly your non-resident CWFL becomes invalid upon establishing residency. When you establish residency in the State of Florida you only have 10 days to register your car and 30 to obtain a Florida Drivers license. If you have a CCW permit issued by another State it is valid for 90 days from the time you establish residency. You will need to apply for a resident CWFL.

When you purchase a handgun in Florida you need a government provided document showing your current address. A fishing license or vehicle registration will suffice. There is no special training required to own or purchase a firearm. Background checks are $5 and the State required waiting period is 3 days but as already stated, counties and municipalities have the authority to make it longer.

Carry in your vehicle is pretty simple. A handgun has to be concealed and securely encased. Securely encased means in a glove compartment, whether or not locked; snapped in a holster; in a gun case, whether or not locked; in a zippered gun case; or in a closed box or container which requires a lid or cover to be opened for access. If anyone tells you about the "three step rule" they don't know what they are talking about.

Someone already posted the places where you cannot carry even with a CWFL. If you want to make the drive to Palm Bay I will be holding a CCW class on January 22.

FMJ
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 11:45:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Florida Carry

This is your state organization fighting for your rights.  Join us.  We also have a Facebook page.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 8:30:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Everyone should own the latest edition of Jon Gutmacher's book; it's the premiere source of information regarding Florida gun law and written for the layman.

http://www.floridafirearmslaw.com/

Link Posted: 1/12/2017 5:12:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I do not have all of my resources available to me right now but if I remember correctly your non-resident CWFL becomes invalid upon establishing residency. When you establish residency in the State of Florida you only have 10 days to register your car and 30 to obtain a Florida Drivers license. If you have a CCW permit issued by another State it is valid for 90 days from the time you establish residency. You will need to apply for a resident CWFL.
View Quote

That does not jive with my experience.

I've had a FL carry permit since 2005-ish, and never lived here prior to 2016.  Nothing on my license indicates "non-resident".

The same day I got my FL driver's license at the tax collector's office, I walked across the hall to the CWL office, informed them that I had just moved in state and asked what I needed to do, and they told me all I had to do was change my address of record and sat me down at the computer to do it, which took all of 2 minutes.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 11:42:00 PM EDT
[#15]
You can carry even without a license only in your car and it cant just be out. I keep it in the glove box and the police who pulled me over once said it was perfectly fine even though I didnt have my CCW yet.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 1:30:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Everyone should own the latest edition of Jon Gutmacher's book; it's the premiere source of information regarding Florida gun law and written for the layman.

http://www.floridafirearmslaw.com/

http://www.floridafirearmslaw.com/9th/9th-jacket-1000.jpg
View Quote
Thanks for posting, now I know there is a new edition as I had purchased the older edition in 2016.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top