Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/26/2016 12:23:31 AM EDT
The GS near me has a bunch of Microtechs and I'd like to get one but I'm not really clear on the legalities of carrying a knife like this in FL.  Do I need a FL CCL to be able to carry one?
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 1:19:20 AM EDT
[#1]
are you a red-blooded American? What is this permission of which you speak?

Someone more knowledgeable than me will be along. I am watching this thread for an answer. I have always just carried mine, never really worried about what is "legal."
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 5:58:05 AM EDT
[#2]
An auto knife in FL is treated just like a handgun.......you need a CCW to carry legally
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 10:33:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Keep in mind knives are NOT part of the state preemption. So laws will vary between counties & cites in FL.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 11:36:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Keep in mind knives are NOT part of the state preemption. So laws will vary between counties & cites in FL.
View Quote

THIS!
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 2:24:28 PM EDT
[#5]
They are GTG as long as the blade doesn't leave the knife.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 4:43:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 5:08:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I know Dade County has prohibited auto knives.  They used the screw up by the legislature, which said state law supersedes local gun laws, not weapon laws.  I leave my auto knives at  the North Fla. home when I am heading to the Condo in Miami.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 6:49:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

However .......... Our Florida Concealed Weapon or Firearms License allows you to carry a Concealed "Weapon"

790.06 License to carry concealed weapon or firearm.(1) The Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services is authorized to issue licenses to carry concealed weapons or concealed firearms to persons qualified as provided in this section. Each such license must bear a color photograph of the licensee. For the purposes of this section, concealed weapons or concealed firearms are defined as a handgun, electronic weapon or device, tear gas gun, knife, or billie, but the term does not include a machine gun as defined in s.

(15) The Legislature finds as a matter of public policy and fact that it is necessary to provide statewide uniform standards for issuing licenses to carry concealed weapons and firearms for self-defense and finds it necessary to occupy the field of regulation of the bearing of concealed weapons or firearms for self-defense to ensure that no honest, law-abiding person who qualifies under the provisions of this section is subjectively or arbitrarily denied his or her rights.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

However .......... Our Florida Concealed Weapon or Firearms License allows you to carry a Concealed "Weapon"

790.06 License to carry concealed weapon or firearm.(1) The Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services is authorized to issue licenses to carry concealed weapons or concealed firearms to persons qualified as provided in this section. Each such license must bear a color photograph of the licensee. For the purposes of this section, concealed weapons or concealed firearms are defined as a handgun, electronic weapon or device, tear gas gun, knife, or billie, but the term does not include a machine gun as defined in s.

(15) The Legislature finds as a matter of public policy and fact that it is necessary to provide statewide uniform standards for issuing licenses to carry concealed weapons and firearms for self-defense and finds it necessary to occupy the field of regulation of the bearing of concealed weapons or firearms for self-defense to ensure that no honest, law-abiding person who qualifies under the provisions of this section is subjectively or arbitrarily denied his or her rights.

I always initially defer to your interpretation SGB but...

I'm going to have to go back and think about this in lieu of the changes to 790.01.

I'm still trying to figure out if I can carry a concealed SBR or Pistol Gripped Firearm (12g) per the authority of my licence issued pursuant to 790.06.

I'm so confused.

"Any person in compliance with the terms of such license may carry a concealed weapon or concealed firearm notwithstanding the provisions of s. 790.01."

Any weapon or firearm or just the ones enumerated?

If I am licenced IAW 790.06 can I carry any concealed firearm except a machine gun?  Can I carry a machine gun (with a Form 1 or 4 of course)?

(2) Except as provided in subsection (3), a person who is not licensed under s. 790.06 and who carries a concealed firearm on or about his or her person commits a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.

But if I am licensed...?

Oh my!...

Looks like the worst that could happen if I carry a SBR is a 25 dollar fine???????
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 6:55:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 7:00:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I'm hardly the last word on these type of things but I believe that the legislative intent is pretty clear when it includes knives as a weapon included under the purvue of the license.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

790.06 License to carry concealed weapon or firearm.—(1) The Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services is authorized to issue licenses to carry concealed weapons or concealed firearms to persons qualified as provided in this section. Each such license must bear a color photograph of the licensee. For the purposes of this section, concealed weapons or concealed firearms are defined as a handgun, electronic weapon or device, tear gas gun, knife, or billie, but the term does not include a machine gun as defined in s.

I always initially defer to your interpretation SGB but...

I'm going to have to go back and think about this in lieu of the changes to 790.01.

I'm still trying to figure out if I can carry a concealed SBR or Pistol Gripped Firearm (12g) per the authority of my licence issued pursuant to 790.06.

I'm so confused.

Any person in compliance with the terms of such license may carry a concealed weapon or concealed firearm notwithstanding the provisions of s. 790.01.

Any weapon or firearm or just the ones enumerated?

I'm hardly the last word on these type of things but I believe that the legislative intent is pretty clear when it includes knives as a weapon included under the purvue of the license.

I edited my post.  What say you now?
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 9:32:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 11:32:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I edited my post.  What say you now?

But what is the penalty for carrying a firearm other than a handgun???  25 dollar fine???

"Violations of the provisions of this subsection shall constitute a noncriminal violation with a penalty of $25, payable to the clerk of the court."
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 11:39:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Is this correct?

Chapter 790
Section .06
Subsection (1)

790.06 License to carry concealed weapon or firearm.—
(1) The Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services is authorized to issue licenses to carry concealed weapons or concealed firearms to persons qualified as provided in this section. Each such license must bear a color photograph of the licensee. For the purposes of this section, concealed weapons or concealed firearms are defined as a handgun, electronic weapon or device, tear gas gun, knife, or billie, but the term does not include a machine gun as defined in s. 790.001(9). Such licenses shall be valid throughout the state for a period of 7 years from the date of issuance. Any person in compliance with the terms of such license may carry a concealed weapon or concealed firearm notwithstanding the provisions of s. 790.01. The licensee must carry the license, together with valid identification, at all times in which the licensee is in actual possession of a concealed weapon or firearm and must display both the license and proper identification upon demand by a law enforcement officer. Violations of the provisions of this subsection shall constitute a noncriminal violation with a penalty of $25, payable to the clerk of the court.

This section shall be liberally construed to carry out the constitutional right to bear arms for self-defense. This section is supplemental and additional to existing rights to bear arms, and nothing in this section shall impair or diminish such rights.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top