Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/22/2016 6:14:23 PM EDT
My brother lives in Broward County and purchased a rifle online last week.  It arrived to the FFL today and he's being told he can't take it home for 5 days.

Can anyone shed some light on this?  The FFL didn't mention this at all until now and he hasn't purchased a gun in FL before.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 6:18:49 PM EDT
[#1]
broward, palm beach, and dade county all have hold periods if you don't have a concealed carry license
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 6:20:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Dade, Broward, Palm Beach, and several others have a 5 business day waiting period on any firearm. Other counties have no waiting period on long arms. Handguns, statewide wait 3-5 days. Been like that for a long time. As montioned above, does not apply to CCW holders.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 6:28:11 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Dade, Broward, Palm Beach, and several others have a 5 business day waiting period on any firearm. Other counties have no waiting period on long arms. Handguns, statewide wait 3-5 days. Been like that for a long time. As montioned above, does not apply to CCW holders.
View Quote

Thanks for the replies, I just found the relevant Broward County code.  My brother had thought, there was an exemption for long guns as they're exempted on the State level.  There's some ambiguity given the sale did not take place in Broward county given it was an online purchase, but I doubt he or the FFL will have any success arguing that out right now.
Since this was an online purchase, does anyone know if the clock started from when he bought it or from when the FFL received it?

Link Posted: 11/22/2016 7:55:30 PM EDT
[#4]
One of my employees did that, the clock started when he ordered it, this in Palm Beach county.  Your brother might need to prove when he ordered it.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 8:05:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 10:07:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

This. My FFL is a pretty cool guy. Before I had my CCW he would start the wait period from the date on my invoice if ordered online.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
One of my employees did that, the clock started when he ordered it, this in Palm Beach county.  Your brother might need to prove when he ordered it.

This. My FFL is a pretty cool guy. Before I had my CCW he would start the wait period from the date on my invoice if ordered online.

Same here, my table top FFL would count from date it was invoiced.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 11:57:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys! I passed all this on to him, and his FFL is in agreement.

My brother's rather annoyed the FFL didn't being this up before as he could've had it sent to a different location outside of Broward...  Live & learn I suppose; now he has incentive to get his CCW!
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 4:40:50 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't have my CCW atm, so I have to wait on handgun purchases, but nothing else.

I believe the wait time is per county.  FL is only a 3 day wait on handgun purchases, and each county can impose a wait of however many days for whatever they want.

Here there is no wait on anything other than handguns.

I just moved to where I currently am, and did not wish to drive the 40 minutes to my old FFL, so I choose to use someone I've never used before.  Ordered a lower and had it come in a week ago.  Idiots made me wait 3 days.  Told them they were wrong, and hes all like "Naw, this is considered a pistol, because it can be made into a pistol."  Im like....what's the mark say?  What do you put on the 4473?  "Other."  Exactly.  Didnt want to argue with them, they're idiots.

I just won't use them again.  Made a few calls, found one right around the corner from the house that actually knows the laws and procedures.

So stupid.  
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 11:05:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Definitely worth getting your license and not just for transfers. In this day and age, any legally allowed citizen should have one but it stinks that we need one. I am surprised about the wait as well and didn't know some South Florida counties had their own laws for that.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 3:46:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Hillsborough and I believe Pinellas also have a wait for long guns without a CCW. I'd assume all the liberal bastions have a similar ordinance.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top