Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2016 11:20:21 AM EDT
I am in the process of buying a home in Naples Florida.  The inspections turned up water damage and a mold problem.  The seller is required to make repairs and remove the mold using licensed contractors.  The work will involve drywall, cabinetry, plumbing removal and replacement and mold abatement.  Would any of that work require a permit or notice of commencement?
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 12:04:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Nowadays, in Collier County, I bet it will. Not a bad thing, Probably some kind of plans too.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 5:00:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I am in the process of buying a home in Naples Florida.  The inspections turned up water damage and a mold problem.  The seller is required to make repairs and remove the mold using licensed contractors.  The work will involve drywall, cabinetry, plumbing removal and replacement and mold abatement.  Would any of that work require a permit or notice of commencement?
View Quote

If things are being replaced behind the drywall then yes.  I.E.: Plumbing lines, electrical lines, etc...  If it is just cosmetic, I.E.:  Removing drywall, faucets without touching plumbing behind the walls, then no you don't.  Having said all of that, I would definetely get licensed contractors though.  If you need help, im me.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 5:19:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Find a house without those problems.

My bet is, it will never get fixed right.

Thank me later and welcome.

TLDR- I don't trust contractors except to cheat you some more.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 6:11:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Find a house without those problems.

My bet is, it will never get fixed right.

Thank me later and welcome.

TLDR- I don't trust contractors except to cheat you some more.
View Quote

I get that, the problem is, you negotiate a deal, sign a contract and then you do inspections.  The order of that process is wrong in hindsight.  

ETA: I have my realtor checking on the property from time to time and an inspector who is supposed to get a look at things before they close things up.  I'm trying to be optimistic, but I believe in that whole verify thing......
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 6:30:25 PM EDT
[#5]
In before Campy6169?  Oh, never mind.

OP - be aware Campy is a GC that works in that area.  If ever you stumbled upon someone with the know-how, connections and insight, you have here.  I'd suggest you IM him and keep in touch during the process.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 6:50:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

OP - be aware Campy is a GC that works in that area.  If ever you stumbled upon someone with the know-how, connections and insight, you have here.  I'd suggest you IM him and keep in touch during the process.
View Quote

Will do.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 7:19:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Will do.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Will do.

Got your im and replied.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 7:20:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Blackfox, thank you for the compliment and the OP has contacted me.  Call me when you have a chance.......
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 11:49:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Contractor filed for a permit two weeks before closing.  Permit was still being processed by the County.  Five days before the closing contractor tries to have permit cancelled and tells the County that new owner will file a permit.  That's news to me.  What is going on here - any ideas?
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 3:16:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Contractor filed for a permit two weeks before closing.  Permit was still being processed by the County.  Five days before the closing contractor tries to have permit cancelled and tells the County that new owner will file a permit.  That's news to me.  What is going on here - any ideas?
View Quote

Basically that tells me the seller most likely cancelled his deal with the contractor.  Not knowing all the details, sounds like the seller waited until last minute and the contractor isn't aware of timelines with the county.  I allow a minimum of 2-3 weeks no matter what building department I'm filing with.  OP, if there is an agreed value to the work to be done, ask for the monies to be held in escrow, get the GC to do the work and then they get paid from the escrow account.  The work gets done, the seller pays.  Is it done when it's supposed to be, no, but it gets done and no money out of your pocket.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 8:14:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Yeah, I get it, but these folks are irrational.  Saturday a mold mitigation company was supposed to be in there, but no permits were applied for and the owners were staying there.  We're being lied to as far as I can tell.  Planning to cancel the contract and litigate if necessary.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 8:16:27 PM EDT
[#12]
If I read this correctly, the owner is applying for the permit now that the contractor has retracted his application. Read FS 489 for the owner builder exemption. An owner builder is not supposed to pull a permit for a property that is for sale, they are going to sell with in a year, or not their primary residence.

I might consider having my own contractor do a bid and take that off the purchase price so you can monitor the repairs yourself.

What caused the mold? That would be a real concern for me.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 8:28:06 PM EDT
[#13]
The seller was informed of and agreed to required repairs in June.  The closing was set for August.  The seller didn't make the repairs because they were waiting for an insurance claim.  The closing was extended to mid-October.  The seller's contractor applied for a permit in the first few days of October.  Five days prior to the mid October closing the contractor tried to cancel the permit.  The County says no, not until the new owner (us) applies for a replacement permit (which I'm not going to do).  We offered to take a credit at closing for the $20K or so in repairs and mold mitigation back in August.  Seller said no and apparently found a handy man to do it for 2K.  Now we are days away and my suspicion, nothing at all has been done.  Just a lot of lies / disinformation.

The source of the mold was an extended leak under the kitchen sink.  The cabinet floor particle board was swollen from long term moisture.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 8:46:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The seller was informed of and agreed to required repairs in June.  The closing was set for August.  The seller didn't make the repairs because they were waiting for an insurance claim.  The closing was extended to mid-October.  The seller's contractor applied for a permit in the first few days of October.  Five days prior to the mid October closing the contractor tried to cancel the permit.  The County says no, not until the new owner (us) applies for a replacement permit (which I'm not going to do).  We offered to take a credit at closing for the $20K or so in repairs and mold mitigation back in August.  Seller said no and apparently found a handy man to do it for 2K. Now we are days away and my suspicion, nothing at all has been done.  Just a lot of lies / disinformation.

The source of the mold was an extended leak under the kitchen sink.  The cabinet floor particle board was swollen from long term moisture.
View Quote

There's the answer right there, I love when I hear this from an owner that they can get the same work done for a lot less and when we ask, " Do you know the manufacturers/quality level you are getting?", they answer " no, but we were told everything is good/great quality".  By Florida Law a handy man can not do the repairs necessary to this home.  If you look at what a handy man can do under their license, it's pretty much change light bulbs and clean.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 8:51:16 PM EDT
[#15]
This has been the most f**ked up thing I have ever experienced.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 6:46:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

There's the answer right there, I love when I hear this from an owner that they can get the same work done for a lot less and when we ask, " Do you know the manufacturers/quality level you are getting?", they answer " no, but we were told everything is good/great quality".  By Florida Law a handy man can not do the repairs necessary to this home.  If you look at what a handy man can do under their license, it's pretty much change light bulbs and clean.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The seller was informed of and agreed to required repairs in June.  The closing was set for August.  The seller didn't make the repairs because they were waiting for an insurance claim.  The closing was extended to mid-October.  The seller's contractor applied for a permit in the first few days of October.  Five days prior to the mid October closing the contractor tried to cancel the permit.  The County says no, not until the new owner (us) applies for a replacement permit (which I'm not going to do).  We offered to take a credit at closing for the $20K or so in repairs and mold mitigation back in August.  Seller said no and apparently found a handy man to do it for 2K. Now we are days away and my suspicion, nothing at all has been done.  Just a lot of lies / disinformation.

SWMP15AOP, this  is the type scenario I envisioned when I ran my mouth about contractors.

Did not mean to include good folks like Campy. My apology to Campy.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 8:19:44 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

This has been the most f**ked up thing I have ever experienced.
View Quote
Is there a reason that you are not walking away?

Link Posted: 10/17/2016 9:17:32 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm going to try to, but that's why there are contracts.  I have to prove they didn't perform on the contract and then I can try to get out.  The contract has provisions that if the repairs are not sufficient 200% of the estimated cost to complete them can be escrowed or you can terminate the contract.  That's my understanding anyway.  I have an attorney and my realtor on it.  Worst case scenario is going to court.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 11:30:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Update:  Inspector looked at property, work not being done properly and cannot be completed by closing.  Seller is belligerent and doesn't care about losing the sale.  Looks like we're going to get out of the contract without more of a fight.  Depending upon how you look at it I probably pissed away $2K in inspections and legal fees.  I guess I'm more inclined to consider what those fees saved me in the long haul.

I'm pretty sour on Florida real estate right now, but there is a similar residence that just came on the market which is actually a little nicer.  I'll probably give it a look while I'm in town for a golf trip.

Thanks for your help and comments.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 12:28:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 1:36:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

SWMP15AOP, this  is the type scenario I envisioned when I ran my mouth about contractors.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Iamhere, I didn't take offense, so no apologies needed.  Believe me, I deal with this all the time and can't stand it.  Like any profession the few crap people give the honest people a bad reputation in their respective field.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 6:21:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This right here. Handy man can't do plumbing. My jurisdiction would not have problems with cabinets. If a permit was required, a contractor still needed to obtain one.
I think you may need to walk away from this one. IF its this bad right now, you may end up with a real sour taste for this home later.
Florida real estate has some good deals in lots of places. The foreclosure rate was pretty high here and deals can still be found if your patient.

Good luck with your search.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top