Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2016 9:55:30 PM EDT
I let my dogs out and one of them seemed too interested in the handle bars for getting out of the deep end of the pool. Sure enough a damn bufo toad is there and once it jumped the dogs went nuts but I was able to startle them enough to give it some distance while getting them inside. I removed it with a shovel. Took a flashlight and walked around while I had them out. It poured tonight and those bastards love to come out at night and right after a rain.

For those new to FL or areas that have them, they can kill the dog fairly easy. Lost a couple years and years ago.
bufo toad

Link Posted: 9/28/2016 11:28:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the info and link.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 7:38:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks.  I had never heard of them.  Time to revive the .556 v. shotgun debate?
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 8:55:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for sharing - I had no idea.  And to think - we thought it would be a good idea to introduce them here

What could possibly go wrong??
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 10:34:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for sharing - I had no idea.  And to think - we thought it would be a good idea to introduce them here

View Quote

Brought to you by the same people who thought the Cross Florida Barge Canal was a good idea

I remember playing on parts of the construction around Lake George in the '70s.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 4:31:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Brought to you by the same people who thought the Cross Florida Barge Canal was a good idea

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting.
I always kinda thought it was a good idea that was ruined by environmental activists.
What was bad about it ?
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 8:18:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Interesting.
I always kinda thought it was a good idea that was ruined by environmental activists.
What was bad about it ?

The introduction of Salt water across the state was a concern IIRC. The locks blocked some key water areas as well. It's been so long I cant even begin to remember all the crap that came out of that deal.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting.
What was bad about it ?

The introduction of Salt water across the state was a concern IIRC. The locks blocked some key water areas as well. It's been so long I cant even begin to remember all the crap that came out of that deal.

Link Posted: 9/29/2016 9:45:21 PM EDT
[#7]
The Aussies have the toads even worse they have expanded over 3/4 of that continent. Even the damn tadpoles are deadly. Same deal someone thought it would be a good idea to bring them there to eat bugs and they killed tons of wildlife.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 4:36:08 PM EDT
[#8]
My dog had a go with the not so dangerous version of these toads. It jumped at her and she snapped at it, but didn't get it in her mouth. She must have made contact, though, as she started drooling profusely.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 5:12:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Bufo Marinus was first brought into Florida in the 1930s.   Others were released by Miami pet dealers in the 1950s.  Still more were brought in from
Central America to fight sugar cane field pests.  That did not work out so well.
Back in 2004, I lost one of my Scottie girls to a toad.  She had bitten them twice before.  $800 bucks and three days in the pet hospital for each of those episodes.  The third time, she ate half of the toad, and we could not save her.  Stupid dog, but...............................
The burrow and come out after a good rain.  For months, I stalked the gated community were we lived, at night, with a light and a spear.  I must have killed hundreds of them, and for several years, they were not to be found in our neighborhood.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 6:32:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Bufo Marinus was first brought into Florida in the 1930s.   Others were released by Miami pet dealers in the 1950s.  Still more were brought in from
Central America to fight sugar cane field pests.  That did not work out so well.
Back in 2004, I lost one of my Scottie girls to a toad.  She had bitten them twice before.  $800 bucks and three days in the pet hospital for each of those episodes.  The third time, she ate half of the toad, and we could not save her.  Stupid dog, but...............................
The burrow and come out after a good rain.  For months, I stalked the gated community were we lived, at night, with a light and a spear.  I must have killed hundreds of them, and for several years, they were not to be found in our neighborhood.
View Quote

I'm sorry, man.  That really stinks.  While I have human children, my canine ones mean the world to me.  I'm sorry for your loss.  And yes, most of my dogs are dumb too.  It's part of who they are, and probably why they like people like us
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 7:23:32 PM EDT
[#11]
They a coming into your yard to eat the dog poop so clean up the poop.

Now if your dog does get his teeth into one of these suckers promptly rinse out their mouths with plenty of running water. The tell take sign they have been exposed is bright red gums and excessive drool. If the mouth is rinsed immediately following exposure the chance of needing medical intervention is cut by 90%.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 10:37:44 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

My dog had a go with the not so dangerous version of these toads. It jumped at her and she snapped at it, but didn't get it in her mouth. She must have made contact, though, as she started drooling profusely.
View Quote
I think my lab has come into contact with them.... or he has epilepsy.

Link Posted: 10/1/2016 2:01:02 PM EDT
[#13]
I grew up in WPB. These things were everywhere. We used to feed our dog on the back porch, they would come up and eat the dog food right out of the bowl.

When we were about 12, my friends and I would build spears/gigs and ride around the neighborhood on our bikes after a rain and just obliterate these things. We would get a little carried away, chasing them through yards, having our "Lord of the Flies" adventures. Had the cops called on us a few times. Back then (80's), the cops would just check to make sure we lived in the neighborhood, and give us a warning to stay out of people's yards. They would even compliment our spear-making ability, and give them back to us. Nowadays, we'd probably be arrested, taken to jail, placed in court-ordered counseling, and be labeled as potential serial killers for life.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 8:56:31 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I grew up in WPB. These things were everywhere. We used to feed our dog on the back porch, they would come up and eat the dog food right out of the bowl.

When we were about 12, my friends and I would build spears/gigs and ride around the neighborhood on our bikes after a rain and just obliterate these things. We would get a little carried away, chasing them through yards, having our "Lord of the Flies" adventures. Had the cops called on us a few times. Back then (80's), the cops would just check to make sure we lived in the neighborhood, and give us a warning to stay out of people's yards. They would even compliment our spear-making ability, and give them back to us. Nowadays, we'd probably be arrested, taken to jail, placed in court-ordered counseling, and be labeled as potential serial killers for life.
View Quote
My friends and I did that with a Power Wheels Jeep and Red Ryder BB Guns.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top