Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2016 9:18:06 PM EDT

trying to get work as civilian for .gov in aviation maintenance facility,
moving from West Palm Beach
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 9:35:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
View Quote

So, where are you moving from?  Are you a big city guy or a normal kind of guy?
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 10:12:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Stay off the "West Side!"
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 11:48:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Stay ARMED!
View Quote

Fixed it....
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 8:31:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Fleming Island isn't bad. I moved to St John's it's ok but I miss central VA. It's takes forever to get anywhere in Jacksonville. Amelia Island and St Augustine are nice but I wouldn't say out of everywhere I've ever lived that it's my favorite place. As others have stated it depends on your likes or dislikes.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 4:27:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Not sure what you living situation is going to be. But I'd steer clear of places on the westside and north side. Southside near the town center, Bartram Park, St. John's county, Kernan/Atlantic to beaches are all pretty safe choices. Fleming Island and some parts of Orange Park are good as well but traffic can be a bitch.  

Thought your question was a little vague... Give us a little more detail on what you want to know and we can point you in the right direction
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 4:44:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I've been here 10 years now and we've been pretty happy.  Jax is kind of a big small town of that makes any sense?  Downtown is really lacking compared to other big cities, not much reason to be down there unless it's for work, a concert, or Jags game.  There are other parts of town that are pretty cool though, it's more like a collection of small villages.  Of course we all know bad things can happen anywhere, but the overwhelming majority of our crime takes place in a few concentrated areas that you WON'T be visiting.  Lots of natural beauty and outdoorsy stuff if you're into that kind of thing.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 9:15:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Fixed it....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Stay ARMED!

Fixed it....

I have several accounts in that area. Yes I am!
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 10:01:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Avoid most of 103rd and timaquana.

Jax is like any other city with good and bad spots.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 11:29:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Not sure what you living situation is going to be. But I'd steer clear of places on the westside and north side. Southside near the town center, Bartram Park, St. John's county, Kernan/Atlantic to beaches are all pretty safe choices. Fleming Island and some parts of Orange Park are good as well but traffic can be a bitch.  

Thought your question was a little vague... Give us a little more detail on what you want to know and we can point you in the right direction
View Quote

I've been in this area for 20 years. No major complaints. Close to the beach, shopping, restaurants, and with 295 in spitting distance easy access to the rest of the area.

I'd avoid the north side near town like the plague. Further away towards the airport you get into a mix of old and new developments. Some nice places on Hecksher and around New Berlin Rd/Cedar Point.

Lots of inshore fishing opportunities if that's of interest. Don't forget Gun Gallery.

Not much to talk about for downtown.

Link Posted: 8/24/2016 1:52:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Born & raised here.  What do you like to do? Jville offers city, country, or beach ~ just need to pick one.  Literally the largest city in America (by size).

Link Posted: 8/24/2016 12:32:15 PM EDT
[#11]
I moved to Amelia island.  Quiet place, nice beach access and I don't leave much thanks to Amazon prime.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 7:16:28 PM EDT
[#12]
I went to high school in the late 70s in Jax, moved away and came back for good in 1990. I love it here.
Stay the hell away from the northwest quadrant. Westside isn't bad, if you know where to live. I lived there in the 70s and I had lots of good times.

Good places to live are East Arlington, the beach towns, most of Southside, Mandarin, San Marco, Riverside and Avondale.
Nearby Orange Park is a nice town, but it has lots of traffic. Ponte Vedra is very nice, and very expensive.
Nearby towns are Fernandina Beach, St. Augustine, Yulee, Green Cove Springs, Baldwin and Middleburg. They're all outside of Jax, but can be commuted, depending on where you live or work in Jax.
The best schools are in St. Johns and Clay counties.
There's a huge shopping center called St Johns Town Center. It's got a lot of everything. They're planning on building an even bigger center just south of Jax, to be anchored by a Bass Pro Shop.

The only parts of Jax I would actively avoid are the Northwest Quadrant (N of I-10, W of I-95), and some parts of Arlington and Westside.

And DUUUUUVVVVAAAALLLLLL !!!
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:16:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

But that's where his work will be if he is looking for something to do with aircraft
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 10:09:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

But that's where his work will be if he is looking for something to do with aircraft
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup. Probably gonna be at Cecil.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 6:46:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Might find some good BBQ on Lem Turner.................

Link Posted: 8/30/2016 12:03:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Maybe some Gawlic Crabsis up on da nofe side...
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 9:57:31 AM EDT
[#17]
I live in the Southside area of Jax, so about 10-15 minutes south of downtown and between 95 and 295 and just north of Butler Blvd.

I love it here. Housing is cheap, its a very nice area, Jax beach is 10 minutes away, etc. Jax Beach, Neptune Beach and Atlantic Beach are all very close by, and thats where the nightlife is in Jax.

I live next to St. John's Town Center, which is a large shopping area that has everything you could ever want (Publix, Target, Costco, restaurants, high end stuff, Apple Store, Best Buy, list goes on) and they are currently expanding it all by about 25%. Oh, and a TopGolf is being built, and an Ikea.

There is an indoor gun range and shop 5 minutes away (Gun Gallery).

Jax is weird, the city itself is nothing special, but everything around it is mostly nice.Stay away from West Side Jax.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 9:58:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Could be Craig, tho?
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 9:32:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably the best place would be Fleming Island if this is the case.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 8:30:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Here's a map. Hope this helps...
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 6:27:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Pretty accurate map.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top