Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/28/2016 11:36:54 AM EDT
Hey guys,

I've always gone to Navarre Beach/Pensacola area. This year I'm coming to Port St. Joe. My wife and I enjoy some snorkeling but have never gone scalloping before and now we want to try.

Any pointers on getting started? Do we just pull up and find a nice shallow area on a calm day and go for it? I'm not asking for honey holes by any means, just help getting started.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 8:27:07 PM EDT
[#1]
It's pretty simple.  First, go to FWC and make sure the area you target is open and you have salt licenses.  http://m.myfwc.com/fishing/saltwater/recreational/bay-scallops/

On your way to the boat ramp, hit up a local bait shop & buy ice/stuff.  Ask about scalloping.  They'll give you general local knowledge.  Follow the general directions until you see a floatilla of boats w/dive flags.  Pick a spot in 3-6 ft of water and start snorkeling.  See scallop, pickup scallop, place in bag, fill bag, take to boat and put on ice.  They lay in the grass beds.

At many boat ramps, there are people that will clean for you for a small fee.  Or search up YouTube for cleaning videos.

Link Posted: 7/28/2016 9:54:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Pay someone to clean them for you. Much easier and costs almost nothing.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 1:02:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm a DIY guy, I'll give it a go!
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 1:03:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for getting me started guys.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 3:11:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Port St Joe Bay area is closed for scalloping until later in August and even then the limit will be lower than normal.  The bay got hit with a pretty bad red tide event last year.
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 4:18:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Port St Joe Bay area is closed for scalloping until later in August and even then the limit will be lower than normal.  The bay got hit with a pretty bad red tide event last year.
View Quote

This.  I wouldn't waste my time this year.  Its unfortunate for PSJ and the surrounding areas but it happens.  
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 10:03:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then research the shopvac method.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top