Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2016 12:22:50 AM EDT
I read that the Florida Sheriff's Association has named Manuel Diaz de la Portilla their 2016 Legislator of the Year.

Nice that they're being so openly anti-gun any more.

Is membership automatic with election to the office of sheriff or does the sheriff have to actively join up?

I'm starting to think I want a sheriff who'll renounce their membership.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 12:36:20 AM EDT
[#1]
From the mission statement page on the FSA website:
Day-to-day business of the Florida Sheriffs Association is directed by a strategic plan created and approved by the 67 sheriffs of Florida.
View Quote
So, it seems like if you are a Sherrif in FL, you are a part of it.

I'd imagine the agenda is steered heavily by the 5 member board of directors (all sheriffs):

Sheriff Sadie Darnell
President, Alachua County

Sheriff Jerry Demings
Vice President, Orange County

Sheriff Brad Steube
Secretary, Manatee County

Sheriff Mike Adkinson
Treasurer, Walton County

Sheriff David Shoar
Immediate Past President, St. Johns County

ETA: They also list their corporate sponsors on their site. Perhaps those corporations would like to know how disappointed we are that they are sponsoring such an anti-freedom organization. Adams Arms is on there as a bronze annual partner, for example.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:55:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Sadie is VERY anti gun.  I heard she refused to sign off on any apps for Class three stuff.
She is up for re election this year.  I  am hoping there is enough interest to dump her sorry butt, but it looks like she will win in a typical Alachua County liberal landslide.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:46:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Bradshaw in Palm Beach is extremely anti gun....
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:55:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sadie is VERY anti gun.  I heard she refused to sign off on any apps for Class three stuff.
She is up for re election this year.  I  am hoping there is enough interest to dump her sorry butt, but it looks like she will win in a typical Alachua County liberal landslide.
View Quote

Curiously, this may not be the case this year.  Sadie has a vindictive side which made it to light recently.

Link
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:27:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Bradshaw in Palm Beach is extremely anti gun....
View Quote

And he's a shoo in for reelection this year.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:57:19 PM EDT
[#6]
saw that.... it sucks
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:30:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Curiously, this may not be the case this year.  Sadie has a vindictive side which made it to light recently.

Link
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link

yeah.  Sadie, in any sane world, would have recused herself from passing judgement on a political rival in this upcoming election.  That she chose to jump in with both feet, and persecute Zac for her own political gain is pretty telling.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 12:24:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

yeah.  Sadie, in any sane world, would have recused herself from passing judgement on a political rival in this upcoming election.  That she chose to jump in with both feet, and persecute Zac for her own political gain is pretty telling.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link

And it is far from the first time she has done this.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 2:12:26 PM EDT
[#9]
The FSA is against us. Always had and always will be. Hell, they're against a unified State Police.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 12:32:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Lee county has sheriff Mike scott who is vocally pro gun
his cite not the pdf on the bottom read it if you care to.

Link Posted: 5/3/2016 12:42:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Letters like his are why I wondered how a sheriff became a member of the association.

The FSA is speaking for the pro-gun sheriffs, seemingly without objection, when they do their anti- thing.  That's why I was looking for sheriffs that repudiate their membership.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 1:23:17 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View Quote

I'm voting for Charlie Strickland for Leon County Sheriff. He's currently a Lt with them and he is one of the owners of Talon Range and Talon Training Group.

It is a sweet facility and he is very pro gun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top