Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/11/2015 8:59:15 PM EDT
Update 1/22/2016

Senate Bill is dead.  Portilla refused to schedule it in his committee.  I know FL Carry is working on getting pressure to move it forward once the house version makes it to the floor for a vote, but for now its dead.  More info below

FIREMISSION 1/19/2016

Senator Portilla is about to decide if he will let the Campus Carry Bill move forward.  He let this bill DIE last year.  In a recent interview he almost sounds like he does not plan on moving it forward.  We need to send him emails ASAP!!!

EMAIL HIM NOW AND ASKING FOR HIM TO LET THE SENATE DECIDE ON ITS FATE!!!  He let it die last year.

[email protected]

1/19/16 UPDATE PART TWO:[

URL=http://www.bradenton.com/news/politics-government/state-politics/article54438055.html]http://www.bradenton.com/news/politics-government/state-politics/article54438055.html[/URL]

EMAIL HIM NOW AND ASKING FOR HIM TO LET THE SENATE DECIDE ON ITS FATE!!!  He let it die last year.

[email protected]

1/19/16 UPDATE:

The house Bill has already been set for its second reading. The Senate bill has made it past the Judiciary Committee for the first time ever! I'm a little confused, maybe someone who understands the process can clarify this.  I don't see a vote by the Judiciary Committee but It does now say "Introduced -SJ 9".  WTF does this mean?  I'm assuming its still in the Judiciary Committee but moved elsewhere?

EMAIL YOUR REPS NOW !!!

Find who your Senate Rep is here: https://www.flsenate.gov/Senators/Find

Find your House Rep here: http://www.myfloridahouse.gov/Sections/Representatives/myrepresentative.aspx

If you want more info on the process follow these links:

House Bill Steps

Senate Bill Steps

12/30/15 UPDATE:

You guys need to get off your asses and give this the same attention you are giving open carry, 41p, and stand your ground.  The Senate Bill is stuck and your help is needed to get it moving.  Please email the Senate leaders as noted below ASAP.

You read up on it here:

http://www.myfloridahouse.gov/Sections/Bills/billsdetail.aspx?BillId=54808

And here:

https://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2016/0068

CURRENT UPDATES:

The house version of this bill has passed all committees and has now been transferred to the house floor for a vote.

The senate version still has two more road blocks before making it to the senate floor.  It currently resides in the Senate Judiciary Committee and will need to pass the Rules Committee after.  Please help get this past the Judiciary Committee by contacting the state senators below ASAP.

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

Sample Letter:

Subject:

SUPPORT SB-68 Rights shouldn’t end on Campus

Body:

Dear representative,

The US Department of Education reported 392 forcible felonies on Florida Campuses in 2013, under the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act and the Higher Education Opportunity Act. Forcible felonies reported include homicide, forcible rape, robbery, aggravated assault, and arson. The number does not include forcible felonies occurring in off-campus college housing or in the surrounding neighborhoods.

This is about licensed adults, responsibly protecting themselves on campus, just as they do off campus, and over a quarter century of statistics from the Licensing Department of DOACS proves their responsibility as a group.

Please support SB-68.

The Senate version is now in the Higher Education Committee.  Please contact the members and demand its support by using this link

https://www.flsenate.gov/Committees/Show/HE/

The House version is now in the Higher Education & Workforce Committee.  Please contact the members and demand its support by using this link

The Senate and House versions have both passed the first hurdle, the Criminal Justice Committee
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 10:53:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Updates coming
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 11:35:34 AM EDT
[#2]
updated 11-26-15
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 11:48:53 AM EDT
[#3]
My email:

Dear representative,

I've been a professor at Miami Dade College for over 20 years and ask that you support SB-68.  The rights of my students, as well as myself should not be stripped upon entering our campus.  Especially in light of current events, college campus' are an easy killing zone for those who wish to inflict maximum damage to the psyche of our great country.  My self, my students and my fellow colleagues should be allowed to exercise our rights to defend ourselves from such actions.

This is about licensed adults, responsibly protecting themselves on campus, just as they do off campus, and over a quarter century of statistics from the Licensing Department of DOACS proves their responsibility as a group.

Please support SB-68.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 5:58:48 PM EDT
[#4]
emails sent. Thanks OP.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 10:21:13 PM EDT
[#5]
emails sent, and now stalking my rep via FB
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:04:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Email sent
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 7:58:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Bump
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 2:29:17 AM EDT
[#8]

You guys need to get off your asses and give this the same attention you are giving open carry, 41p, and stand your ground.  The Senate Bill is stuck and your help is needed to get it moving.  Please email the Senate leaders as noted below ASAP.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 8:25:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Done...

No excuse not to do this when all you need to do is Cut & Paste guys!  I think all of us can agree that we need more gun rights, not less, even if we will never personally step foot on a college campus.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 9:48:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Email sent. As long as we remain silent on this issue, our students will be disarmed and our universities will targets.

Copy & paste only takes a minute, and if you're a student, professor, or alumni a short personal message doesn't hurt.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 9:59:09 AM EDT
[#11]

I just copy and pasted the below, it took me a whopping 5 minutes.

As the concerned father of a daughter matriculating at the University of Florida, I urge you to support SB-68.

The US Department of Education reported 392 forcible felonies on Florida Campuses in 2013, under the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act and the Higher Education Opportunity Act. Forcible felonies reported include homicide, forcible rape, robbery, aggravated assault, and arson. The number does not include forcible felonies occurring in off-campus college housing or in the surrounding neighborhoods.

Again, please support SB-68.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 9:03:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

As the concerned father of a daughter matriculating at the University of Florida, I urge you to support SB-68.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Well done
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 9:08:06 PM EDT
[#13]
My letter:

Dear Representative,

As a current law enforcement officer and former college student who is about to embark yet again along the path of higher education, I’m writing to you today in hopes that you will support SB-68 (campus carry). There is absolutely no reason that the ability of law-abiding citizens to defend themselves should be hampered simply because they crossed onto a college campus. As evidenced over recent years, campuses are notorious “soft targets” for malcontents, criminals, and even terror suspects to carry out their violent acts. Florida State Statute 776.08 defines forcible felonies as “treason; murder; manslaughter; sexual battery; carjacking; home-invasion robbery; robbery; burglary; arson; kidnapping; aggravated assault; aggravated battery; aggravated stalking; aircraft piracy; unlawful throwing, placing, or discharging of a destructive device or bomb; and any other felony which involves the use or threat of physical force or violence against any individual.” Surely you can think of a specific incident on a college campus somewhere in this country over the last few years that qualifies as a forcible felony. The US Department of Education reported nearly 400 forcible felonies on Florida campuses in 2013 alone.

The bottom line is, as a whole, concealed weapon permit (CWP) holders are far less likely to engage in any type of illegal behavior than non-permit holders. With over 25 years of statistics from the Florida Department of Agriculture to back up this claim, I see no reason not to allow on-campus carry of concealed weapons, by concealed weapon permit holders, in this state. Please don’t allow arguments made by pseudo-intellectuals who know nothing about firearms or law enforcement to shape your opinion of this bill. It was said in 1987 (when Florida originally made concealed carry legal, after allowing open carry for years and years) that “blood would run in the streets,” and that every minor fender-bender would be like a “shootout at the O.K. Corral.” Both of these nearly 30 year old arguments have proven false in other states that allow campus carry (as well as open carry and/or concealed carry) time and time again.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 10:24:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Hit them all again today.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 5:44:18 PM EDT
[#15]
1/19/16 UPDATE:

The house Bill has already been set for its second reading. The Senate bill has made it past the Judiciary Committee for the first time ever! I'm a little confused, maybe someone who understands the process can clarify this.  I don't see a vote by the Judiciary Committee but It does now say "Introduced -SJ 9".  WTF does this mean?  I'm assuming its still in the Judiciary Committee but moved elsewhere?
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 6:54:04 PM EDT
[#16]
FIREMISSION 1/19/2016

Senator Portilla is about to decide if he will let the Campus Carry Bill move forward.  He let this bill DIE last year.  In a recent interview he almost sounds like he does not plan on moving it forward.  We need to send him emails ASAP!!!

[email protected]

Link Posted: 1/19/2016 7:06:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
FIREMISSION 1/19/2016

[email protected]

Email sent.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 9:22:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 7:10:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
done
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/20/2016 8:07:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Done.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 8:58:19 PM EDT
[#21]
I have sent my rep and senator many letters. Here is a response from my rep that I got today. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

"Representative Ray asked me to follow up with you regarding these two bills.

HB 4001 completed it’s final committee stop yesterday and is headed to the House Floor next. The Senate companion for this bill, SB 68, has completed two committee stops and has two to go. They are progressing nicely and are well positioned to pass the Legislature and be sent to the Governor for signature.

HB 163 has one committee stop remaining and the Senate companion, SB 300, is moving as well. They are also well positioned to pass the Legislature."

Link Posted: 1/20/2016 9:05:58 PM EDT
[#22]
ditto
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 7:04:47 AM EDT
[#23]
870Mike found this and posted it on FSN

Two gun bills shot down in Florida Legislature
Dan Sweeney, Sun Sentinel

Of the three offered gun rights bills, only one still has a good chance of passage

TALLAHASSEE The legislature loaded up on gun rights bills when the session started, but already two appear to have been shot down.

Bills were offered that would allow the open carrying of firearms, the carrying of firearms on college campuses, and that would make a stand your ground defense easier. Only the only open carry bill still shows signs of life.

One reason: State Sen. Miguel Diaz de la Portilla, R-Miami, who effectively killed the campus-carry bill by refusing to schedule a hearing in the Senate Judiciary Committee, which he chairs.

Diaz de la Portilla said his "position hasn't changed from last year" when he also refused to schedule a hearing on the bill.

"I don't think we'll hear a campus carry bill this session," he said on Wednesday.

State Sen. Greg Evers, R-Baker, sponsor of that bill, said Thursday he was "disappointed" but would keep pressing for the bill to get a hearing.

A bill that would make it easier for people to defend themselves in a stand-your-ground hearing moved forward on the Senate floor Thursday, but that was probably an empty gesture. A House panel had already voted against the bill, which would have placed the burden of proof on the state instead of the person claiming the stand-your-ground defense.

The open-carry bill remains and Diaz de la Portilla has said it will likely get a hearing within two weeks. More than 40 states already allow the open carrying of firearms, but many of them also allow cities and counties to ban it. The proposed Florida law would supercede all local laws.

Even open carry's future is murkier after the Florida Sheriffs Association proposed an alternative bill that, instead of allowing the open display of firearms, would protect legal gun owners who inadvertently show their arms — for example, if wind were to lift up a jacket or shirt.

That option has met with mixed support from Republicans. Diaz de la Portilla has said he would consider it as an amendment to the open carry law, but Evers does not believe it does enough to protect Second Amendment rights.

For their part, Democrats are largely opposed to both open carry and the sheriffs' alternative.

"That's a situation of making an awful bill just bad," said state Sen. Chris Smith, D-Fort Lauderdale.

Smith joined U.S. Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz, D-Weston, Sen. Maria Sachs, D-Delray Beach, and state Rep. Lori Berman, D-Lantana, at the capital Thursday to speak out against all the bills. Their top target was the campus-carry legislation that Diaz de la Portilla had declared all but dead the day before.

But speculation over the bill's demise did not convince Smith, who evoked the image of the traditional dropping of a handkerchief to signal the end of the 60-day Florida legislative session.

"I've been here for 16 years and until that handkerchief gets dropped, there's always a concern," he said. "We've seen on day 59 bills get pulled out of committee, moved this way and then things pop up. ... Until the handkerchief drops, we're not safe from the Legislature."

[email protected], 954-356-4605 or Twitter @Daniel_Sweeney
View Quote

I also received this from Sean at FL Carry.  This gives me a tiny bit of hope!!!!

That decision was already made.  We're going to be dealing with his decision not to let the campus carry bill receive a vote in committee once the House bill gest to the floor.  The Open Carry bill is still very much alive and we expect him to agenda it soon.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 1:17:39 PM EDT
[#24]

If they do this again, I will not support my current Rep and Senator again. RINOs make me sick.

Link Posted: 1/22/2016 2:17:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Time to vote them all out and bring in new candidates.

Wusserman in Weston (D) needs to be voted out asap!  Is that a hopeless cause? Don't know anything about Weston.

She just seemed to be a mouthpiece to play along with what Portilla wanted to do anyways.

There was a short blurb on the local news last night about Wusserman speaking in Tallahassee, condemning the Campus Carry Bill, then Portilla didn't allow it to go forward...

That's pretty much a direct quote from the 15 seconds in the news last night.
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 8:55:53 PM EDT
[#26]
So basically, if this senator doesn't want to pass a bill, he just doesn't schedule it and he gets what he wants?
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 11:48:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
So basically, if this senator doesn't want to pass a bill, he just doesn't schedule it and he gets what he wants?
View Quote

Exactly - and the schmucks who live in His district continue to vote him in again and again because he has an R next to his name on the ballot. Rinos rule!

Very Sad........
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 6:53:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Exactly - and the schmucks who live in His district continue to vote him in again and again because he has an R next to his name on the ballot. Rinos rule!

Very Sad........
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very Sad........

He's in Miami, so he's getting almost all NE Republican votes....so yes, RINOs.(aka Establishment GOP'ers).
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 9:30:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

He's in Miami, so he's getting almost all NE Republican votes....so yes, RINOs.(aka Establishment GOP'ers).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very Sad........

The establishment GOP is worse than the Democrats because of their dishonest behavior.

Link Posted: 1/23/2016 9:39:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Here is a response from my Senator. I sent back something asking about Senator Portilla.

I like how he says "don't loose faith in the Republican party". I am sorry but I cant stop

Thank you for writing Senator Bean. Both SB 68 and SB 300 passed the Criminal Justice Committee with a favorable vote and are now moving through the other committees. If you would like further information on these bills please check flsenate.gov, and it will allow you to track the bills throughout the process. I also implore you not to lose faith in the Republican Party because people like Senator Bean still support these bills and gun rights for all Floridians.

Respectfully,

Austin Nicklas | Session Legislative Assistant
Senator Aaron Bean | Florida Senate 4th District        
400 South Monroe St| Tallahassee, FL 32399
Tallahassee 850.487.5004 | District 904 346 5039| Fax 888.263.1578
[email protected] | www.flsenate.gov
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 9:53:36 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Very Sad........
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Very Sad........
Thank god for term limits.

Link Posted: 1/23/2016 1:01:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Term limits alone just don't cut it..................until that cancerous thinking is excised completely it just re-emerges and the term limit solution does nothing until the entrenched bureaucracy that was created by those sorts is gutted.............that translates to removing ALL tenured positions except for those on the lowest levels.   Certainly no person that has ever occupied a policy making position should retain office till he/she just damn well decides to leave.    

If all the Rhino's and leftest social democratic elected office holders were expelled on this day their legacy would continue on ad infinitum less the removal of the enforcing bureaucrats...........just look at the BATF, much less the Internal Revenue agency..............Fella's got a melanoma, you can't just cut off his nose alone to cure it!!!
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 11:31:03 AM EDT
[#33]
Things that the voters are demanding that get killed in committee is how we ended up with our strange ballot-amendments to the state constitution.

I occasionally wonder if a ballot amendment is the tree we should be barking up.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 1:40:14 PM EDT
[#34]
I saw something really disturbing at work yesterday.

cut and paste:

Guns on College & University Campuses
In response to questions from reporters following
another committee meeting, Senate Judiciary
Chairman Miguel Diaz de la Portilla said it is
unlikely the Senate “campus carry” bill (SB 68)
will be taken up by his committee. The Senate bill
is currently parked in the Senate Judiciary, after
which it would go to Rules and then to the floor.
The Judiciary Committee is where the bill
remained parked in the 2015 session.

The House bill (HB 4001) has passed all of its
committees of reference and is on the calendar for
consideration and approval by the full chamber.

As reported by PoliticoPro, National Rifle
Association lobbyist Marion Hammer has said the
campus-carry measure will return in 2017 if it fails
this year.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 2:11:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

cut and paste:

this year.
View Quote

Sounds like the obituary has already been written, along with a soft let down.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 5:33:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

cut and paste:

this year.

The worst part is that the Republicans are the ones that keep doing it year after year.

Damm RINOs.

Link Posted: 1/27/2016 6:36:20 PM EDT
[#37]
GOPe is in the pocket of Big Tourist Business.

Hell, they agreed to prevent open competition in gambling with the Seminole Pact. God forbid we get other casinos in FL.

Link Posted: 1/27/2016 7:27:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

The worst part is that the Republicans are the ones that keep doing it year after year.

Damm RINOs.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

cut and paste:

this year.

Damm RINOs.

There's no excuse other than we're being sold out again.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top