User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 9:42:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OP staying in the channel is a good idea for a while. but the issue is that you need to realize how the
channels run. the rule is red on right back to port but some of the channels run a different way than
you would think inside the bay and the markers are far apart and can confuse you.

Invest is a paper chart to study and learn your GPS inside and out. Egmont is fun, just watch out on the
north end as it can be shallow at lower tides. I used to swing out and then come in about 1/3 of the way
down from the north. Turn stern toward beach and drop bow anchor and then back up paying line on the
bow anchor until the stern is in about 3 feet of water. Have the stern anchor ready and have some one
jump out to anchor the stern quickly before the current moves the boat, with motor off of course.
View Quote

Pretty much agree with everything Banditman posted here, red to right on return is how the marker system is supposed to work, but it can be very confusing at times, try going on Google earth and checking out areas like the Gulf side of eggmont key and the shoaling that can be found there, the deep water that hits shallow areas can be one of the worst to navigate in this area. The area around longboat pass to the inter coastal will present you with a forest of multicolored navigation markers that will put any unfamiliar captain to the test. Just take it slow, go out on less busy weekdays if you can. Good luck.

ETA: Fortress anchors, theses are great in my book, really expensive if bought new at west marine though, check on craigslist for divers that go out to popular anchoring spots and salvage them. The aluminum they are made of will save your back.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 10:24:13 AM EDT
[#2]
I just got back to check this thread; I thought it'd died. I went out and anchored off Egmont a couple days ago without anyone with me so I could go through things a little more on my own. The 10lb Danforth style anchor they gave me would drag.

I got the table and other junk out of the head and discovered that the toilet was full of ancient piss soaked toilet paper and the head tank was full (I let the sales guy know they missed a critical item when they detailed the boat; the dealership has been wonderful throughout the process, after another month if all goes well, I intend to write a positive review). I'd thought it sortof smelled like piss in there. I took a trip up to gulfport and learned how to clean the head and suck the waste out.

My first attempt at docking it was by myself and I managed to get in without any major damage. I'm concerned over handling it on the weekends when the marinas are busy. I bought a book on boat handling and have been practicing tight maneuvers in current.

The new Garmin chart plotter seems to be spot on with the depths in most cases. I don't cruise through areas that the GPS chart plotter or depth finder indicate are less than 9ft. There's a shallow strip to the north of Egmont I pulled through at idle (ended up being about 6ft according to the depth finder which isn't offset).

Sea turtles look pretty cool when they surface by you.

I intend to get a PLB/ePRB for when I get brave enough to go out a little ways. As for now, the boat has a VHF radio and I don't yet go outside of sight of land or cell service. I also should mount a compass on the console. If all else fails, Florida will always be to the East.

Also need to find an anchor light that'll work. The socket is in the...umm...transom facing rearward.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 2:52:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Congrats!  That sounds like a GREAT start.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 6:34:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice looking boat, congrats.
When are you taking me for a ride?
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 9:31:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Nice looking boat, congrats.
When are you taking me for a ride?
View Quote

I'd say "come on." I can't promise anything too exciting. As for now, I just take it and drive it around the intercoastal and the shore of the gulf. I've put around 12 hours on it and have yet to take it fishing. I've got some fishing equipment and the licenses, but I've never handled a fish bigger than a fresh water Crappie.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 9:14:29 PM EDT
[#6]
How is the boat ownership Going?
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 4:07:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Pretty good. I've put 45 hours on it with the only hitch being a blown hydraulic trim line that cost me around $50 in parts and fluid (knock on wood). I caught my first Grouper Friday morning; it was too short (15") so I released it, but it sure felt like my line was caught on something. I've started anchoring out and sleeping on it occasionally if the forecast looks good. It came with a cover that snaps over the bowrider section and has a pole that goes in the middle. At just over 6' tall, I can sleep comfortably on the cushion on one side of the bow and I unsnap a portion of the cover to keep it a comfortable temperature.

I did something yesterday at low tide that I don't think I'll do again. While it wasn't too bad where I store it, I took a trip through Tampa Bay. I followed the wrong channel and ended up by the west end of the Gandy bridge and realized that it didn't have the clearance for me to pass under it. I checked the charts (I have a Garmin plotter) and it was relatively shallow along the bridge with a narrow 3' contour at one point. I had seen several boats pass close to the bridge and from the charts I figured it was a known route to the north of the shallow area. I idle through at low RPM at < 3mph and am watching the depth finder. The waters were choppy by the bridge and I was pitching pretty good at the slow speed and at one point the depth finder read 2ft, which is not offset from the mounting location and I have a stern drive. I didn't hit anything, but it sure was an uncomfortable feeling.

It's a lot of fun to drive. There's a mechanic that has suggested that I upgrade to a stainless Mirage prop. The boat tops out over 40mph as it is and I generally cruise at 30-35. It handles wake and chop really well and feels light on the controls. Thus far, excluding storage, it seems that my direct operating costs are running around $20/hr on average -- I do a fair amount of running at a fast idle at night referencing charts and checking markers with the spotlight.

I need to get a couple seats reupholstered and it seems that everybody knows an upholstery guy. I've entertained the idea of just buying my own sewing machine, doing the job and then selling it.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 9:11:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Glad it is working out for you. Do not be deceived by other boats. My last boat had a tunnel

hull and would run pretty shallow. Oyster bars are not forgiving.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 12:46:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

<snip> There's a mechanic that has suggested that I upgrade to a stainless Mirage prop.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<snip> There's a mechanic that has suggested that I upgrade to a stainless Mirage prop.

wait until you bend this one first, then replace it. it will happen, so practice with the one you have first.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 3:49:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

wait until you bend this one first, then replace it. it will happen, so practice with the one you have first.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or buy the new prop and stow your prop wrench and other tools on the boat.  I've changed a prop before while waiting for the tide to come back .  
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 5:06:38 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Or buy the new prop and stow your prop wrench and other tools on the boat.  I've changed a prop before while waiting for the tide to come back .  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I spun a hub on a prop long ago and I was right beside Gomez Island in the 10,000 islands. I did not

have a spare, did not even know that could happen. It was a long ride back to the ramp going very slow.

I carry a spare now.

Link Posted: 10/14/2015 10:11:07 PM EDT
[#12]
I got myself a little 16 foot jon boat with a trolling motor about a month ago (thinking I'd be able to put a 25hp Yamaha on it... technically I could, but I weigh too much and unless there's about 350 pounds of people or stuff in the bow of the boat, that motor would not be safe to add to the transom)....

Now I'm giving some consideration to calling the bank about something like this:

2008 Sea King 180CC W/ Yamaha 90Hp 4 stroke. 4 Blade SS prop, Bobs 6" hydraulic jack plate, VHF radio, Electric Anchor, Dual Battery switch, Bimini Top, Dual live wells, Aluminum SA trailer by Performance. They want $14,995 for it.

I had originally looked at a new G3 1756 VBW jon boat with that same Yamaha F25SEHA on it and a new trailer (mine won't work I don't think), but the boat/motor/trailer combo at brand-new pricing was quoted $8550...

Link Posted: 10/16/2015 4:34:37 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I got myself a little 16 foot jon boat with a trolling motor about a month ago (thinking I'd be able to put a 25hp Yamaha on it... technically I could, but I weigh too much and unless there's about 350 pounds of people or stuff in the bow of the boat, that motor would not be safe to add to the transom)....

Now I'm giving some consideration to calling the bank about something like this:

http://images0.boattrader.com/resize/1/45/78/5364578_20150827124520398_1_LARGE.jpg?t=1200949

2008 Sea King 180CC W/ Yamaha 90Hp 4 stroke. 4 Blade SS prop, Bobs 6" hydraulic jack plate, VHF radio, Electric Anchor, Dual Battery switch, Bimini Top, Dual live wells, Aluminum SA trailer by Performance. They want $14,995 for it.

I had originally looked at a new G3 1756 VBW jon boat with that same Yamaha F25SEHA on it and a new trailer (mine won't work I don't think), but the boat/motor/trailer combo at brand-new pricing was quoted $8550...

View Quote

90 HP would be somewhat anemic on that boat.

Link Posted: 10/17/2015 2:27:15 AM EDT
[#14]
I would've honestly been happy with a jon boat. After I decided that I needed to spend around $10k to get something seaworthy I ended up with a 24' bowrider with a 260hp I/O. My objective was to get on the water; this one seems to handle the bay and the gulf and is forgiving when I end up foolishly in conditions that I probably shouldn't have ventured into. I've gotten to where I can handle and dock it solo, which is good. I use the dock poles I bought at walmart to grab the lines and I practiced tying bowline and cleat hitches to where I could do them quickly and with one hand. I hadn't fished since I was a kid and now am out frequently in the mornings around sunrise trying to catch something. I think the compromise is very good. It's good that I can take people out on it and there's a head for the girls. I discovered that it came with a snap on cover for the bow and the main section. I frequently sleep in the bow, which is a plus. I'm thinking that now I might find a cabin cruiser with AC possibly more fitting for me, but keeping the temps right with the canvas front cover without AC is pretty easy.

After having my airplane incident where I lost my engine on takeoff at 200ft, I decided that even though I'm relatively young, that it I should do the things now that I can. I clearly remember bouncing through the field at the end of the runway thinking "is this all there is?" You can have a heart attack, a debilitating accident, et cetera at any time and there is no reason to postpone doing what you want and you have the resources to do. I had initially wanted a sailboat, but I couldn't decide on anything for years. I believe that I made the right decision; I purchased something that did not create a financial hardship on myself and met my minimum requirements.
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 12:46:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Nice money pit. Be prepared to be broke from now on . Yeah there are actual two boat storage places here on Shell Point. I've lived here 20 yrs right down from Shell Point Marina. which has outside storage. The other place is right over at Little Harbor. They have indoor dry storage for boats. If I were going to store a boat outside you need a cover on it. The sun will destroy the seats and finish. If I could afford it I'd go for the indoor storage out of the sun and elements. In the end it will save I believe in maintenance cost. But if you do store outside get a good cover for the boat and engine.

I have spent hours buffing my boat out from what the sun has done to it's finish from being on a lift. I'm putting a roof on it now. Oh did I mention having to replace the seats roof will help a lot. Plus I'm doing a wrap on part of hull
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 4:57:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Ah, I'm on the other side of the bay. I've found that I'm actually spending less money owning the boat than prior to owning the boat thus far because I'm flying the plane a lot less, and I'm sleeping on the boat and fishing instead of going out to the bars at night.

I'd like to take it out for Gasparilla this year, but the challenge is that I don't quite know how to handle the post-invasion stuff. I'm thinking that I should probably just plan on dropping off my passengers and planning on anchoring off until the next day as I bet it's impossible to find/reserve a slip.
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 5:18:52 PM EDT
[#17]
I have always wanted to do the Gasparilla invasion but man that's alot of boats on the water at one time with a whole lot of idiots in them. Use to have a 40 ft trawler for years that I keep for my Uncle at my dock. He let me use when ever I wanted. I loved taking it out and anchoring up in the bay and grouper fishing and using my boat to run back and forth to the house. Was called the Sea Dog. Man I miss that old boat. Use to take it up to Caravelle every once in a while also to his house and to the Keys and Bahamas. It was a lot of up keep though.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top