Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2015 6:27:38 PM EDT
Probably not posted on the House site yet... but saw the vote streamed.  Usual suspects, etc...  but it passed.

Here's a link to the bill...

http://www.myfloridahouse.gov/Sections/Bills/billsdetail.aspx?BillId=53085
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:58:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 9:22:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Good news.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 9:34:42 PM EDT
[#3]
No good reason why it shouldn't pass.

Lets see what happens.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 11:54:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Nice.

Heard on the news the other day that it was for students and faculty, but reading the bill it takes the entire section regarding colleges out.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 12:12:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I found the preamble interesting:
An act relating to licenses to carry concealed weapons

or firearms; amending s. 790.06, F.S.; deleting a

provision prohibiting concealed carry licensees from

openly carrying a handgun or carrying a concealed

weapon or firearm into a college or university
facility; providing an effective date.

I was hoping there was something in there about 'open carry,' but it appears to be an encompassing phrase.

eta:  edit for formatting

Link Posted: 1/23/2015 4:27:56 AM EDT
[#6]
I hope this passes.

They make you pay taxes and jump through hoops to get a permit, but still don't trust you to carry a gun on campus. It's bullshit.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 8:47:58 AM EDT
[#7]
So if you have a CCW with this bill we could also open carry?
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 9:20:56 AM EDT
[#8]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

So if you have a CCW with this bill we could also open carry?
View Quote
As Kissfan stated, it is an encompassing phrase. It is there in the event that open carry become s legal.

Link Posted: 1/23/2015 11:11:56 AM EDT
[#9]
So this bill will allow non students as well as students with CCWs to carry legally on campuses?

Great, then I could carry legally when I attend the oldies concerts at FAU.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 2:55:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
So this bill will allow non students as well as students with CCWs to carry legally on campuses?

View Quote

Actually in it's current form, it won't do anything, at all.

Removing 790.06(12)(a)(13) does not change the fact that it is unlawful to carry a firearm on the property of any school. 790.115(2)(a)
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 4:20:35 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Removing 790.06(12)(a)(13) does not change the fact that it is unlawful to carry a firearm on the property of any school. 790.115(2)(a)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Incorrect.  The rest of 790.06 addresses elementary and secondary schools.  This addresses colleges and universities.  Two different animals.

Link Posted: 1/23/2015 8:27:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Cool
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 9:12:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Incorrect.  The rest of 790.06 addresses elementary and secondary schools.  This addresses colleges and universities.  Two different animals.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Regardless of changes to 790.06, this statute still makes it unlawful to have a firearm (outside of one securely encased in your car) on the property of any school.
790.115(2)(a)
A person shall not possess any firearm, electric weapon or device, destructive device, or other weapon as defined in s. 790.001(13), including a razor blade or box cutter, except as authorized in support of school-sanctioned activities, at a school-sponsored event or on the property of any school, school bus, or school bus stop; however, a person may carry a firearm:
1. In a case to a firearms program, class or function which has been approved in advance by the principal or chief administrative officer of the school as a program or class to which firearms could be carried;
2. In a case to a career center having a firearms training range; or
3. In a vehicle pursuant to s. 790.25(5); except that school districts may adopt written and published policies that waive the exception in this subparagraph for purposes of student and campus parking privileges.
For the purposes of this section, “school” means any preschool, elementary school, middle school, junior high school, secondary school, career center, or postsecondary school, whether public or nonpublic.

Link Posted: 1/23/2015 9:26:03 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Regardless of changes to 790.06, this statute still makes it unlawful to have a firearm (outside of one securely encased in your car) on the property of any school.

790.115(2)(a)

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

790.115(2)(a)

A person shall not possess any firearm, electric weapon or device, destructive device, or other weapon as defined in s. 790.001(13), including a razor blade or box cutter, except as authorized in support of school-sanctioned activities, at a school-sponsored event or on the property of any school, school bus, or school bus stop; however, a person may carry a firearm:

1. In a case to a firearms program, class or function which has been approved in advance by the principal or chief administrative officer of the school as a program or class to which firearms could be carried;

2. In a case to a career center having a firearms training range; or

3. In a vehicle pursuant to s. 790.25(5); except that school districts may adopt written and published policies that waive the exception in this subparagraph for purposes of student and campus parking privileges.

For the purposes of this section, "school” means any preschool, elementary school, middle school, junior high school, secondary school, career center, or postsecondary school, whether public or nonpublic.

Look at the entire statute:

(e) The penalties of this subsection shall not apply to persons licensed under s. 790.06. Persons licensed under s. 790.06 shall be punished as provided in s. 790.06(12),
except that a licenseholder who unlawfully discharges a weapon or
firearm on school property as prohibited by this subsection commits a
felony of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.

That excludes licensees if the bill is passed.

Link Posted: 1/23/2015 9:32:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:Look at the entire statute:

(e) The penalties of this subsection shall not apply to persons licensed under s. 790.06. Persons licensed under s. 790.06 shall be punished as provided in s. 790.06(12), except that a licenseholder who unlawfully discharges a weapon or firearm on school property as prohibited by this subsection commits a felony of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.

View Quote

No, it does not. That simply says that CWFL holder gets charged with a misdemeanor per 790.06(12)(d) instead of a felony.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 10:26:16 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

No, it does not. That simply says that CWFL holder gets charged with a misdemeanor per 790.06(12)(d) instead of a felony.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

(e) The penalties of this subsection shall not apply to persons licensed under s. 790.06. Persons licensed under s. 790.06 shall be punished as provided in s. 790.06(12), except that a licenseholder who unlawfully discharges a weapon or firearm on school property as prohibited by this subsection commits a felony of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you. Sorry. The attorneys at Florida Carry and the NRA say it's valid.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 12:56:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you. Sorry. The attorneys at Florida Carry and the NRA say it's valid.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll just say this...Stay tuned. Enlightenment will follow...

Sorry to be so cryptic, but it goes with the job.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 9:53:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

There is no 790.06(12)(d),  I think you are talking about 790.06(15)(d), that is already addressed in Federal law which allows for CCW holders to carry on school grounds if allowed by the state the school happens to be in.  Since this bill would delete 790.06(12)(a)(12) that would mean Florida would then allow CCW holders to carry on College and University campuses meaning it would not be a violation of the federal statute and 790.06(15)(d) would not apply.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 8:44:57 AM EDT
[#19]
So, how many people will get "arrested" before this is explained in simple English and understood by the don't-taze-me-bro campus police ??

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 9:03:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
So, how many people will get "arrested" before this is explained in simple English and understood by the don't-taze-me-bro campus police ??

View Quote

It shouldn't be all that big a deal to put campus police and other involved agencies on notice of the change in law.

I imagine they are already following developments as the bills move towards enactment.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 9:41:45 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View Quote
About as easy at a Roll Call meeting with the Shift Sgt saying " Hey, CCW is legal on campus starting Monday. You see someone carry and not acting a fool. Ask to see a CCW and DL. Remember, this is concealed carry only. If they're acting a fool. Take appropriate action."

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 3:36:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

There is no 790.06(12)(d),  I think you are talking about 790.06(15)(d), that is already addressed in Federal law which allows for CCW holders to carry on school grounds if allowed by the state the school happens to be in.  Since this bill would delete 790.06(12)(a)(12) that would mean Florida would then allow CCW holders to carry on College and University campuses meaning it would not be a violation of the federal statute and 790.06(15)(d) would not apply.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is no 790.06(12)(d)

790.06(12)
(a) 1-15: Locations where the CWFL does not authorize the carry of a concealed firearm.
(b) A person licensed under this section shall not be prohibited from carrying or storing a firearm in a vehicle for lawful purposes.
(c) This section does not modify the terms or conditions of s. 790.251(7).
(d) Any person who knowingly and willfully violates any provision of this subsection commits a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

that is already addressed in Federal law which allows for CCW holders to carry on school grounds if allowed by the state the school happens to be in. It does nothing of the kind. It simply exempts those folks from application of the law. It allows nothing!

Since this bill would delete 790.06(12)(a)(12) Actually it's 790.06(12)(a)(13)

A change will also be needed to revise 790.115(2)(a) which currently makes it unlawful to carry a rearm onto the property of any school (except those securely encased in a vehicle).
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 3:42:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
About as easy at a Roll Call meeting with the Shift Sgt saying " Hey, CCW is legal on campus starting Monday. You see someone carry and not acting a fool. Ask to see a CCW and DL. Remember, this is concealed carry only. If they're acting a fool. Take appropriate action."  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They can ask, but based on the recent Mackey Florida Supreme Court case, unless they have RS of criminal activity irrespective of the firearm, a 'Terry Stop" is not permitted.

If they're acting a fool. Take appropriate action. Presumably you mean the LEO has facts that support a RS of criminal activity?
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 4:03:07 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
They can ask, but based on the recent Mackey Florida Supreme Court case, unless they have RS of criminal activity irrespective of the firearm, a 'Terry Stop" is not permitted.

If they're acting a fool. Take appropriate action. Presumably you mean the LEO has facts that support a RS of criminal activity?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Someone is printing or the firearm is somewhat visible. Someone calls and the call is dispatched. RS has been established because you have a concerned citizen.

Acting a fool could be this....

Mixed in with this...

Typical Disorderly Conduct stuff can be a reason for RS for a Terry Stop.

Carrying on campus without a Permit is RS. Trust me... agencies will work that in as will the SAO.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 4:20:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Someone is printing or the firearm is somewhat visible. Someone calls and the call is dispatched. RS has been established because you have a concerned citizen.    

http://loungecdn.luckygunner.com/lounge/media/printing-featured.jpg

Mixed in with this...

http://gamedayrcom.c.presscdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Homophobic-dumbass-protests-outside-on-Missouri-campus.jpg

Carrying on campus without a Permit is RS. Trust me... agencies will work that in as will the SAO.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://loungecdn.luckygunner.com/lounge/media/printing-featured.jpg

Mixed in with this...

http://gamedayrcom.c.presscdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Homophobic-dumbass-protests-outside-on-Missouri-campus.jpg

Nothing you pictured is RS for a terry stop. Just ask the Florida Supreme Court.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 4:59:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 8:24:57 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Nothing you pictured is RS for a terry stop. Just ask the Florida Supreme Court.
View Quote
Good

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top