Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/17/2014 9:19:35 PM EDT

Orlando attraction features high-powered guns

Kissimmee, Florida -- Just an hour outside Tampa Bay, Orlando's newest attraction, and perhaps its most controversial, is set to open this weekend. It's called Machine Gun America and it's already become a target for gun-control advocates.

Machine Gun America bills itself as Orlando's first automatic adrenaline attraction.

"Everybody has something they always wanted to try," says General Manager Bruce Nierenberg, "this would be on people's bucket list to try it and have a new experience."

The 13,000-square-foot facility sits directly across from Kissimmee's Old Town attraction which is a nostalgic tourist mecca aimed at family fun. But instead of roller coasters and go carts, Machine Gun America offers live ammunition automatic weapons, including high-powered machine guns.

The weapons are available to adults and children as young as 13 with the parent's permission. All, must be accompanied by a trained instructor called a range safety officer.

"I've had a lot of children fire with me before, and I'm always prepared because I am the one the whole time who is holding the firearm," said Natasha Schweitzer, one of the RSO's.

Machine Gun America also offers high-tech simulators with seems like an old west shootout, special ops, even zombies. But the main attraction, they say, is the ability to fire real guns with a live ammunition that most people never get to handle.

"No guest is ever left by themselves," said Nierenberg, "No one ever shoots by themselves, and no guest is ever in control of the weapon without a range safety officer next to them and participating with them."

Machine gun America is itself coming under fire from critics who say the Orlando region was built on a history of child and family-friendly entertainment, and is no place for this concept.

"You've got Holy Land right there in Orlando. You've got Disney World, and Epcot," said Lucia Kay McBath, a member of Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense, "All places for family fun where they should feel protected."

Machine Gun America makes no apologies.

"It's romanticizing our freedom and our history," said Nierenberg. "I mean, it's part of American life. That's how we gained our freedom."

Machine Gun America says its target audience is predominantly conventioneers visiting the Orlando area, making up about 70% of the region's visitors. Average age? Around 45.

So, while critics may say that the concept misses the mark, Machine Gun America believes it's hit a bull's-eye.

http://www.wtsp.com/story/news/local/florida/2014/12/16/machine-gun-america-in-orlando-allows-adults-teens-fire-high-powered-weapons/20494773

View Quote

They say they are not a "range" so do not bring your own guns or ammo. They are an "attraction". Pretty interesting....
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:28:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:34:15 PM EDT
[#2]
No prices.  I going to assume it is going to cater to the tourist at an inflated fee.  But then again, it is free market enterprise.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:56:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't believe public ranges are allowed in Osceola, which may be why they are an "attraction".
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:44:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Keep the disposable room clearing guns away from the young ones, and keep the muzzle shrouds on, and things will be OK.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 1:41:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Good.  Hopefully they put Orlando Gun Club out of business, or at the very least, hit hard into their sales.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 8:37:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't believe public ranges are allowed in Osceola, which may be why they are an "attraction".
View Quote

Wouldn't that local ordinance be preempted by the state firearms statutes?
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 11:25:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think so.  If it's an issue of zoning or ordinance, I think the local municipalities have total autonomy to make their own rules along those lines.  For instance, the city council here in Jacksonville Beach wouldn't approve an indoor range within its limits, despite industrial and commercial zoning being available.  You have to leave the beaches to find a range.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 3:32:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Good.  Hopefully they put Orlando Gun Club out of business, or at the very least, hit hard into their sales.
View Quote

Have you had an issue with OGC? I've been thinking of checking them out for a little while now.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 3:49:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

I find it difficult to believe that due to state preemption, an entire Florida county can hide behind zoning regulations to prevent the operation of even one, single, indoor shooting range.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 6:07:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I don't think so.  If it's an issue of zoning or ordinance, I think the local municipalities have total autonomy to make their own rules along those lines.  For instance, the city council here in Jacksonville Beach wouldn't approve an indoor range within its limits, despite industrial and commercial zoning being available.  You have to leave the beaches to find a range.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It would be hard to see any way that Florida State Statutes could be any more blunt:

790.33 Field of regulation of firearms and ammunition preempted.—
(1) PREEMPTION.—Except as expressly provided by general law, the Legislature hereby declares that it is occupying the whole field of regulation of firearms and ammunition, including the purchase, sale, transfer, taxation, manufacture, ownership, possession, and transportation thereof, to the exclusion of all existing and future county, city, town, or municipal ordinances or regulations relating thereto. Any such existing ordinances are hereby declared null and void. This subsection shall not affect zoning ordinances which encompass firearms businesses along with other businesses. Zoning ordinances which are designed for the purpose of restricting or prohibiting the sale, purchase, transfer, or manufacture of firearms or ammunition as a method of regulating firearms or ammunition are in conflict with this subsection and are prohibited.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 8:34:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why would you think that?

2011 Florida Statutes

Title XLVI
CRIMES

Chapter 790
WEAPONS AND FIREARMS
Entire Chapter

SECTION 33
Field of regulation of firearms and ammunition preempted.

(1) PREEMPTION.—Except as expressly provided by the State Constitution or general law, the Legislature hereby declares that it is occupying the whole field of regulation of firearms and ammunition, including the purchase, sale, transfer, taxation, manufacture, ownership, possession, storage, and transportation thereof, to the exclusion of all existing and future county, city, town, or municipal ordinances or any administrative regulations or rules adopted by local or state government relating thereto. Any such existing ordinances, rules, or regulations are hereby declared null and void.

(2) POLICY AND INTENT.—
(a) It is the intent of this section to provide uniform firearms laws in the state; to declare all ordinances and regulations null and void which have been enacted by any jurisdictions other than state and federal, which regulate firearms, ammunition, or components thereof; to prohibit the enactment of any future ordinances or regulations relating to firearms, ammunition, or components thereof unless specifically authorized by this section or general law; and to require local jurisdictions to enforce state firearms laws.

(b) It is further the intent of this section to deter and prevent the violation of this section and the violation of rights protected under the constitution and laws of this state related to firearms, ammunition, or components thereof, by the abuse of official authority that occurs when enactments are passed in violation of state law or under color of local or state authority.

(3) PROHIBITIONS; PENALTIES.—
(a) Any person, county, agency, municipality, district, or other entity that violates the Legislature’s occupation of the whole field of regulation of firearms and ammunition, as declared in subsection (1), by enacting or causing to be enforced any local ordinance or administrative rule or regulation impinging upon such exclusive occupation of the field shall be liable as set forth herein.

(b) If any county, city, town, or other local government violates this section, the court shall declare the improper ordinance, regulation, or rule invalid and issue a permanent injunction against the local government prohibiting it from enforcing such ordinance, regulation, or rule. It is no defense that in enacting the ordinance, regulation, or rule the local government was acting in good faith or upon advice of counsel.

(c) If the court determines that a violation was knowing and willful, the court shall assess a civil fine of up to $5,000 against the elected or appointed local government official or officials or administrative agency head under whose jurisdiction the violation occurred.

(d) Except as required by applicable law, public funds may not be used to defend or reimburse the unlawful conduct of any person found to have knowingly and willfully violated this section.

(e) A knowing and willful violation of any provision of this section by a person acting in an official capacity for any entity enacting or causing to be enforced a local ordinance or administrative rule or regulation prohibited under paragraph (a) or otherwise under color of law shall be cause for termination of employment or contract or removal from office by the Governor.

(f) A person or an organization whose membership is adversely affected by any ordinance, regulation, measure, directive, rule, enactment, order, or policy promulgated or caused to be enforced in violation of this section may file suit against any county, agency, municipality, district, or other entity in any court of this state having jurisdiction over any defendant to the suit for declaratory and injunctive relief and for actual damages, as limited herein, caused by the violation. A court shall award the prevailing plaintiff in any such suit:
1. Reasonable attorney’s fees and costs in accordance with the laws of this state, including a contingency fee multiplier, as authorized by law; and

2. The actual damages incurred, but not more than $100,000.

Interest on the sums awarded pursuant to this subsection shall accrue at the legal rate from the date on which suit was filed.

(4) EXCEPTIONS.—This section does not prohibit:
(a) Zoning ordinances that encompass firearms businesses along with other businesses, except that zoning ordinances that are designed for the purpose of restricting or prohibiting the sale, purchase, transfer, or manufacture of firearms or ammunition as a method of regulating firearms or ammunition are in conflict with this subsection and are prohibited;

(b) A duly organized law enforcement agency from enacting and enforcing regulations pertaining to firearms, ammunition, or firearm accessories issued to or used by peace officers in the course of their official duties;

(c) Except as provided in s. 790.251, any entity subject to the prohibitions of this section from regulating or prohibiting the carrying of firearms and ammunition by an employee of the entity during and in the course of the employee’s official duties;

(d) A court or administrative law judge from hearing and resolving any case or controversy or issuing any opinion or order on a matter within the jurisdiction of that court or judge; or

(e) The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission from regulating the use of firearms or ammunition as a method of taking wildlife and regulating the shooting ranges managed by the commission.

(5) SHORT TITLE.—As created by chapter 87-23, Laws of Florida, this section may be cited as the “Joe Carlucci Uniform Firearms Act.”

History.—ss. 1, 2, 3, 4, ch. 87-23; s. 5, ch. 88-183; s. 1, ch. 2011-109.

And Florida 790.333 Shooting Range Protection
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 8:50:35 PM EDT
[#12]
I will be going there this weekend my girlfriend has never shot a machine and I think it will be fun this is a copy of a email I got from them

“Thanks for reaching out to us via phone and our web site.”

We look forward to serving you.

Just wanted you to know you are confirmed for the day you have requested and can come any time we are open from 1100 am to 900 pm.

We have some specials as part of our grand opening month that will make it even more fun to come visit us.

For the period December 20, our opening day thru the end of January,

Jan. 31  

2 can shoot our experience for the price of 1.

That’s right. One person pays and the second person shoots free.

A 50% discount.

Our prices start at $99 for a 3-gun package.

We supply all the guns and ammo.

All you supply is yourself ready to have some fun.

With this great offer you might want to call some friends and relatives to take advantage of this one time offer as a feature of our opening weeks of operation.

Bring as many as you want. Half pay regular price and half shoot free.

We accept all major credit cards.

We do have an age requirement.

No one under 13 admitted.

Anyone between 13 and 18 who wants to participate needs to have their parent or guardian with them for live shooting experiences.

We also have a great new super high tech simulation shooting experience.

It's the same one used by many law enforcement entities in the U.S. to train their officers.

The U.S. Government for its weapon training also uses it. It's shooting with no bullets with guns that feel as real as it gets.

All guests are eligible to use the simulator 13 and up.

We look forward to having you join us. Come soon and come often. It's the only experience of its kind in Orlando.

Call if you have additional questions.    

Bruce Nierenberg  General Manager

[email protected]
P: 407-278-1800
C: 321.427.0332
5825 W. Irlo Bronson Highway
Kissimmee, FL 34746
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 2:20:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Have you had an issue with OGC? I've been thinking of checking them out for a little while now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yeah, I had a miserable experience there.  PM me if you want some details

Quoted:
Quoted:

It would be hard to see any way that Florida State Statutes could be any more blunt:

(1) PREEMPTION.—Except as expressly provided by general law, the Legislature hereby declares that it is occupying the whole field of regulation of firearms and ammunition, including the purchase, sale, transfer, taxation, manufacture, ownership, possession, and transportation thereof, to the exclusion of all existing and future county, city, town, or municipal ordinances or regulations relating thereto. Any such existing ordinances are hereby declared null and void. This subsection shall not affect zoning ordinances which encompass firearms businesses along with other businesses. Zoning ordinances which are designed for the purpose of restricting or prohibiting the sale, purchase, transfer, or manufacture of firearms or ammunition as a method of regulating firearms or ammunition are in conflict with this subsection and are prohibited.

I stand corrected.  I still don't know how the city council was able to block it out here though.

Actually, there is a gun shop out here at the beach, and several pawn shops that sell guns.  And one of them does have a bullet trap.

The statute protects sale, transfer, purchase, and manufacture of firearms and ammunition, not discharge.  I guess ranges aren't specifically protected
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 7:18:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I stand corrected.  I still don't know how the city council was able to block it out here though.

Actually, there is a gun shop out here at the beach, and several pawn shops that sell guns.  And one of them does have a bullet trap.

The statute protects sale, transfer, purchase, and manufacture of firearms and ammunition, not discharge.  I guess ranges aren't specifically protected
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

That's the way I interpret this...
Again, not a lawyer or politician... YMMV
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 3:01:52 AM EDT
[#15]
I just took a peek at their website and the "Gallery" had me cracking up. It definitely is not pics of actual customers shooting and is basically a set up photo shoot. The one pic of the guy shooting the Glock is the best. Look at the Photo Shopped bullet coming out of the barrel. Looks like rifle cartridge. LOL...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top