Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/22/2014 11:51:28 AM EDT
I have seen coyotes up on the north end of the state but never in the central area, last night I had an unwelcomed guest dig under my fence and tear up one of my sheep, my old man came out guns blazing in the middle of the night but didn't get a good shot he said it looked like a medium sized dog (2am in dark). This is on the west end of Clewiston, any ideas?
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 12:01:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 1:52:57 PM EDT
[#2]
The are most certainly in central and south Florida...
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 5:49:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I have seen coyotes up on the north end of the state but never in the central area, last night I had an unwelcomed guest dig under my fence and tear up one of my sheep, my old man came out guns blazing in the middle of the night but didn't get a good shot he said it looked like a medium sized dog (2am in dark). This is on the west end of Clewiston, any ideas?
View Quote

dude 6 or 7 years back I watched a yote in the median strip of 80 in broad daylight munching on a road kill just west of clewiston
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 6:18:52 PM EDT
[#4]

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 6:50:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I saw one on a golf course in Jupiter.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 9:50:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I saw one on a golf course in Jupiter.
View Quote

see, and everyone I've asked has told me I'm full of shit (well maybe a bit-- but not on this...)

I'm in Martin County--Hobe Sound and was very surprised to see one on my way into work one morning. On A1-A...

Not sure who was more surprised, me or him!!!
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 1:29:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 2:54:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Seen several in Jupiter Farms
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 4:10:13 PM EDT
[#9]
And all the way down south of Boca Raton.  They are everywhere!
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 6:08:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Do you live out west?
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 7:43:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Do you live out west?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you live out west?

Yeah west boca area, seen them in west delray and north broward too.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 8:12:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Coyotes have been documented in ALL Florida counties.

TWEP
View Quote

the damn dogs are everywhere, Cape Coral just had a meeting on what to do about them
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 8:34:38 PM EDT
[#13]

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 8:47:13 PM EDT
[#14]
hell I was sitting in my parents back yard in the city limits of Plant City and looked out across their back yard and I could not believe what I saw. Two large Coyotes strutting across the field. This is in the city limits next to Palm Harbor Homes area.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 9:31:32 PM EDT
[#15]
I was pulling watch at 3-4AM in Manatee County/Myakka City a few weeks ago and you could hear the shrieks and yipping of a pack of coyotes at least a dozen deep not far from us pestering the cows in the pasture.

Definately makes the hair on your neck stand up! They're out there....
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 10:07:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

There absolutely are coyotes in our area. I've seen a few while working in the area. Have also seen quite a few that had been hit by vehicles on both 80 and 27. Depending on how far west of Clewiston city limits you are, it could have been a domesticated dog. I wouldn't rule out a coyote though.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 10:13:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

There absolutely are coyotes in our area. I've seen a few while working in the area. Have also seen quite a few that had been hit by vehicles on both 80 and 27. Depending on how far west of Clewiston city limits you are, it could have been a domesticated dog. I wouldn't rule out a coyote though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am off 80 and Hendry isle blvd, I have lived in central and south Fl all my life and have never seen any, guess my 17hmr is going to come in handy in the near future
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 11:27:55 PM EDT
[#18]
I've heard them in jw Corbett at night and saw one a kid shot in there 2 seasons ago.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 11:56:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you live out west?

Always figured you would see some interesting wildlife being so close to the everglades. My brother lives out west in Boca and I've seen gators chilling in his backyard. Never seen one by me in Delray but I'm a bit east.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 1:11:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Heard them harassing cows outside of green swamp too
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 10:59:56 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm over run with them. They killed half of our lambs this time last year. .

ETA: Get some #2 Duke Offset traps and set them where they are coming under the fence, that's how I got this one. I've got some #330 Conibears too but haven't had much luck with them.  

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 6:08:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I'm over run with them. They killed half of our lambs this time last year. .

ETA: Get some #2 Duke Offset traps and set them where they are coming under the fence, that's how I got this one. I've got some #330 Conibears too but haven't had much luck with them.  

http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy156/rustyolddude/AEBA0FE1-0832-4A60-B8FF-193BD55F75A6_zps5lz3gdff.jpg

View Quote

Thanks for the tip, I will look into the trap. So far looks like the few shots scared them (or it) off for now.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 11:47:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I am off 80 and Hendry isle blvd, I have lived in central and south Fl all my life and have never seen any, guess my 17hmr is going to come in handy in the near future
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have seen them in the Pioneer area as well. Have also seen a ton of Panther and bear tracks out there while riding around. You would be surprised at the wildlife in that area.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 12:37:43 AM EDT
[#24]
A small coyote walked across my back patio about four feet from my house  last night about 1:30 AM.

Unincorporated Boynton Beach.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 8:24:37 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
A small coyote walked across my back patio about four feet from my house  last night about 1:30 AM.

View Quote

Any cats end up missing?  Lots of open areas in west Boynton.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 9:25:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unfortunately, in the last few weeks,  a very large parcel of several hundred acres  adjacent to and owned by, Palm Meadows horse training facility has just been cleared for estate type home construction in my immediate neighborhood.

Overall, in the last seven or eight years, many thousands of acres have been built on; strip malls, a hospital,churches, schools, and subdivisions have replaced the agri-district here and almost all farmland has been approved for subdivision usage.

Virtually every acre of farmland east of SR7/441 will be gone very shortly.

The horse ranches up on Lyons in Lake Worth are disappearing as well.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:45:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Unfortunately, in the last few weeks,  a very large parcel of several hundred acres  adjacent to and owned by, Palm Meadows horse training facility has just been cleared for estate type home construction in my immediate neighborhood.

Overall, in the last seven or eight years, many thousands of acres have been built on; strip malls, a hospital,churches, schools, and subdivisions have replaced the agri-district here and almost all farmland has been approved for subdivision usage.

Virtually every acre of farmland east of SR7/441 will be gone very shortly.

The horse ranches up on Lyons in Lake Worth are disappearing as well.
View Quote

those developers have had their greedy eyes on martin county for years, now that PB county is running out of open land to pave over.
luckily for us martin county has reelected slow-growth county commissioners who are shutting a lot of that crap down.

alas, it will not last forever tho...

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 12:07:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Yup - I'm a Floridian that was raised up in PBC and because of work/school, I have lived/worked in Monroe, Dade, Broward, Martin, St. Lucie, Hillsborough and currently live in Indian River. So I feel confident in saying that the last 50 years have been a downhill slide as far as fishing - hunting - shooting prospects. I have watched this decline up close and personal. That said, Florida is still blessed with abundant wildlife and beautiful acreage. I still get to fish a few times a month (salt mostly) and work a couple of days a week on a 300+ acre property in Okeechobee. My kids have been able to experience it, but I don't think my grandchildren and the following generations will be so lucky......

I have not shot any of those skinny dogs yet though. I have seen a few, but they were well away from my living area.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 1:08:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Called one in last night just before dark... unfortunately he came out of the thickets from behind me right at my 3:00 at about 15 yards.  No way I could turn to shoot or transition to support side,  He watched the open field to the front in the direction of my caller for about a minute before turning away and going back the way he had come... don't think he made me... if I had a shotgun I'd been better off... but the field has provided me with shots out to 150 yards so I use a rifle.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 4:11:18 PM EDT
[#30]
I have seen several yotes in Central Fl around the Tampa area.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 4:51:37 PM EDT
[#31]
They have made their way onto Sanibel. Dont know where they got 6 bucks for the toll bridge....
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 5:30:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 6:52:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

They have the 'Sun Pass' with unlimited trips.    
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They have made their way onto Sanibel. Dont know where they got 6 bucks for the toll bridge....

They have the 'Sun Pass' with unlimited trips.    

sunburned speaks the truth.  There are at least a dozen of them, and they are very vocal on the island.  I heard them last night sitting out watching the stars.  

Sanibel doesn't get a pass from any invasive species, but if they're here - they're ALL over the SW coast.  Crossing 3 miles of open water is not random.  It suggests a population willing to expand.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top