Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2014 8:22:39 PM EDT
Did anyone know about it?

I drove through the Shopping center just east of Gander Mountain, the old Kmart has been bulldozed and an Academy is going up.

What are they like? Ammo & guns Right? Competition for Gander? or more like Sports Authority & Dicks?
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:43:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I have only been to the one in Tallahassee.  It was like Sports Authority or Dicks - in between the two.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 12:18:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Academy is much more gun oriented than Dicks or Gander Mountain.  I visited the one on US 280 in Birmingham last week, and scored a beautiful little CVA Hunter model single shot rifle in .243 Winchester.  $169.00
They had .22 LR in stock as well.  
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 5:29:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have only been to the one in Tallahassee.  It was like Sports Authority or Dicks - in between the two.
View Quote

I see a very bad joke in this statement.

That's cool. Another place to look and see how well everything goes with them.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 7:26:58 PM EDT
[#4]
The one i went to years ago in Alabama was pretty good. It was Alabama though. Good to have more options.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 7:30:07 AM EDT
[#5]
I always go to the one in Columbia when I'm in SC, prices are way better than gander. Hopefully these pop up more in Fl
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 7:47:33 PM EDT
[#6]
They are opening four stores in the Orlando area. Quoted from their press release.
The four stores will be located in Kissimmee, Lake Mary, Waterford Lakes and Melbourne. In addition, Academy has formed a multi-year partnership with the Univ. of Central Florida.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 9:07:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What are they like? Ammo & guns Right? Competition for Gander? or more like Sports Authority & Dicks?
View Quote

I am a big fan of the ones in Jacksonville; they have been more consistent with their stock of ammo when compared to WalMart (This was even during the ammo drought.). Except for 22lr, which is still rather scare, the ammunition is on the shelves as opposed to being behind glass or behind the counter. So no need to wait around for a sales associate to come around and unlock something.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 9:37:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ya - I didn't think that one through.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 3:18:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Does anyone know where the waterford location will be located?
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:52:46 PM EDT
[#10]
I was super impressed with my first visit to Academy 3 weeks ago in Auburn Al. They will put very serious pressure on Bass pro, Gander, Sports Authority and Dick's when they move down here in earnest. Having a regional warehouse in Tallahassee and free next day shipping on orders of $35 or more plus super low prices has already got me and many of my buddies attention.

Can't wait for a brick and mortar store here. Hopefully near I-275/ Ulmerton Rd. for the Pinellas/Hillsborough market. I'm still scratchin' my head wonderin' why Bass Pro chose the Brandon town square location?
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 8:11:41 PM EDT
[#11]
is it anywhere near the Tilted Kilt?  other than our work building, it is the only place in Lake Mary I know.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 9:20:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
is it anywhere near the Tilted Kilt?  other than our work building, it is the only place in Lake Mary I know.
View Quote

Close. Come off I-4 and head East. It's on the right about a half mile up Lake Mary Blvd.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 9:41:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Close. Come off I-4 and head East. It's on the right about a half mile up Lake Mary Blvd.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

cool, If I am up that way again will check it out. Have friends about 30 minutes north of there and who knows if work will send me again. Im way south.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 6:12:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Never been to one, looking forward to checking it out.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 11:59:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Academy is coming to central Florida?  Excellent news!  When I lived in Jacksonville, I always took the opportunity to drop into an Academy if I was passing by one.

When it comes to prices on  stuff only Walmart beats them (in my experience).
I used to go there to buy Christmas presents for people who weren't necessarily "outdoorsy people" as they have a wide selection of collegiate and professional sports stuff.
Sports authority, Dick's, Gander, and BPS don't compare pricewise (unless we're talking about Black Friday type prices).
Massive selection of ammo at reasonable prices--though their stocks might get depleted when the neckbeards roll through.
They also have a decent supply of ticky-tacky boat parts if you need them.

I will be making a trip to the Lake Mary store as soon as they open.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 8:17:21 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm a big fan of Academy. I always browse them when I'm in TN or GA. Prices aren't too bad, and they have good sales.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top