Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2014 1:19:06 PM EDT
I just called the Tampa office to find out when the next available appt is.  The nice recording took my name and number so they could call me back later.  

Wait time for appointment information
+
Wait time for appointment
+
Wait time for license processing (90 days)

They sure don't like giving us permission to do what we shouldn't need a license for.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 2:24:37 PM EDT
[#1]
If you do it at one of the offices, isn't the turnaround like a week or two? That's how it was a few years ago when i got mine.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 2:52:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you do it at one of the offices, isn't the turnaround like a week or two? That's how it was a few years ago when i got mine.
View Quote

The web page says 90 days from the time they get it and they process in order received.  Of course at 90 days they have to issue or deny by law so that might just be their way of managing expectations.  

No call back yet so I still don't know how far out their appointments are.  They must be busy........or just decided to ignore anyone that calls when they don't want to answer.....

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 3:09:03 PM EDT
[#3]
So I just got my appt.  
2 hours to make an appt.
+
11 days out for first available appt.
+
TBD wait time after I submit it.  We'll do a little case study.  

In defense of the department of Agriculture (Really?  We license through DOA???)  the girl that called me back sounded pretty hot.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 3:31:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I did the Punta Gorda office. A day over two weeks from walking into the appointment and getting my license. Wait was only one day out when I tried to schedule.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 4:01:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I remember I got my permit 5 days after my appointment at the Tallahassee office, that was back in 2011 and I made an appointment the day before.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 4:21:05 PM EDT
[#6]
I got my permit 4 weeks after my appointment (Ft walton office), my buddy sent his in the regular way and it took 9 weeks.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 11:08:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I just called the Tampa office to find out when the next available appt is.  The nice recording took my name and number so they could call me back later.  

Wait time for appointment information
+
Wait time for appointment
+
Wait time for license processing (90 days)

They sure don't like giving us permission to do what we shouldn't need a license for.
View Quote

Do the in-office appointment. From appointment to receiving the permit is usually less than 2 weeks. If you mail in the application, it will easily be 3 months. 3 people I know recently got their permits this way.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 11:25:12 AM EDT
[#8]
The big delay is having your info input into the computer.

If you mail it in, it could take 8+ weeks for them to get around to entering your info.

If you go to an office in person, they put your info into the computer on the spot.

When I went a number of years ago, the post mark on the envelope with my license was 3 days after my appointment.

When my wife went not too long ago, it took her a week to get it.  The delay I attribute to them needing to take her prints again.  When she went in for the 2nd set of prints, they had already issued her a license number and the license was in the mail a few days later.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 2:12:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Well, one stop shopping for prints, picture, notary.

2 week turn around (that was a month ago in JAX).

If you are close to a regional office, it is kind of a no brainer.

Only down side is if you have a criminal history you need to take all of your disposition documents.  That's not really a down side, because you will leave knowing if they have all of the paperwork they need and there won't be any surprises.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 2:44:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Well, one stop shopping for prints, picture, notary.

2 week turn around (that was a month ago in JAX).

If you are close to a regional office, it is kind of a no brainer.

Only down side is if you have a criminal history you need to take all of your disposition documents.  That's not really a down side, because you will leave knowing if they have all of the paperwork they need and there won't be any surprises.
View Quote

On the flip side of this I waited around 60 days because I didn't do the fast track because it woulda been 2 weeks out to set the appointment up.  Looking back hindsight I should have waited for the fast track appointment.  No biggie to me now, but I'd recommend fast track to any new applicants.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 7:04:24 PM EDT
[#11]
I went to the Tampa office in May and my permit showed up in my mailbox one month later.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 8:08:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 8:08:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Pinellas County Tax Collector started accepting applications by appointment this past Tuesday.

Might be an option.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 11:58:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Pinellas County Tax Collector started accepting applications by appointment this past Tuesday.

Might be an option.
View Quote

Really?   Do they do the whole fingerprint and online app thing or do you just drop off a pre-completed packet?
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 4:31:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Really?   Do they do the whole fingerprint and online app thing or do you just drop off a pre-completed packet?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Might be an option.

The whole shebang, just like the regional offices.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 9:04:27 AM EDT
[#16]
I went to the office in west palm beach. It took me about 20 minutes all said and done, and I had my CCW within 10 days.
I'm pretty sure they quote 90 days because that's how long they HAVE but generally run way faster. I suggest doing it in a location, because it can be a lot faster.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 10:12:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Might be an option.

i think soon they will have 5-7 test offices like this if it works out the way they think it will,
all tax collector offices will offer this service. this is just what i have read in different places.

my wife is from alabama, there you go to the police station / sheriffs dept, pay the fee some counties as
low as $5 bucks, and walk out with a paper ccw card. hopefully it will eventually be like that here.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 12:54:22 PM EDT
[#18]
The Palm Beach office is run very well.  Easy to get an appointment, in and out in 20 minutes, permit in about a week.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 1:27:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The Palm Beach office is run very well.  Easy to get an appointment, in and out in 20 minutes, permit in about a week.
View Quote

I had my appt this morning.  Took about an hour because despite opening for business at 0800, they didn't actually do anything except sit behind the glass and gossip with each other until 0845 while the waiting room filled up.  

Just like the DMV.....Why the hell they don't just run a BC on you when you get your DL and mark you Guns OK or guns not OK is beyond me.  

Oh yeah.  Training required.   Lol!   I did the "training" last night because I discovered if you went from Active to Guard, your DD214 doesn't include the character of discharge, and that's a separate state document you're supposed to get later. Whatever.

Anyway, I couldn't use my 214, so I had to take the "class" and fire the one .22 CB cap into the trap to get a certificate that I'm now competent.  If that's good enough it's not neccessary.

Anyway, now I'm out the money for the "class", and $112 for the privilege of asking for a privilege that should be a right that they can't infringe.  

Yay.  We'll see how long it takes for em to turn the bastard around and put it in the mail.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 1:51:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I had my appt this morning.  Took about an hour because despite opening for business at 0800, they didn't actually do anything except sit behind the glass and gossip with each other until 0845 while the waiting room filled up.  

Just like the DMV.....Why the hell they don't just run a BC on you when you get your DL and mark you Guns OK or guns not OK is beyond me.  

Oh yeah.  Training required.   Lol!   I did the "training" last night because I discovered if you went from Active to Guard, your DD214 doesn't include the character of discharge, and that's a separate state document you're supposed to get later. Whatever.

Anyway, I couldn't use my 214, so I had to take the "class" and fire the one .22 CB cap into the trap to get a certificate that I'm now competent.  If that's good enough it's not neccessary.

Anyway, now I'm out the money for the "class", and $112 for the privilege of asking for a privilege that should be a right that they can't infringe.  

Yay.  We'll see how long it takes for em to turn the bastard around and put it in the mail.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

glad your experience went well

hopefully you will get it soon, keep us updated. seems a few here including myself are interested in
how long they take now.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 10:29:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

hopefully you will get it soon, keep us updated. seems a few here including myself are interested in
how long they take now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

how long they take now.

License arrived yesterday.  
Elapsed time 40 days or 5 weeks.

I don't know  how that jives with everyone else's experience.  I was hoping for a quicker turn around, but it's within the statutory limit.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 11:17:17 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I don't know  how that jives with everyone else's experience.  I was hoping for a quicker turn around, but it's within the statutory limit.
View Quote

That is a lot longer than when my wife and I did it.

Mine took a week between my appointment and it arriving in the mail.

My wife's took 10 days but she had to go back a second time (3 days after the initial appointment) to get her prints redone.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 3:34:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

My wife's took 10 days but she had to go back a second time (3 days after the initial appointment) to get her prints redone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd love to see the data on their work load then compared to now.  My appt was for 0900 and there were about 20 people in the waiting room with 0900 appts.  If they stayed that busy all day.....
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 7:40:49 PM EDT
[#24]
from what i had heard from other people 40 days seems like a long time, however compared
to some states i guess it is pretty good.

maybe someday soon we will have a process that produces same day ccw, sorta like drivers lic.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 8:09:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
from what i had heard from other people 40 days seems like a long time, however compared

maybe someday soon we will have a process that produces same day ccw, sorta like drivers lic.
View Quote

When I called the Jax regional office to make an appt to get mine renewed, they said that I didn't need an appointment and could just walk in. When I did, I gave them the renewal paperwork, they took my new pic, and printed an license on the spot. Hopefully this will streamline into same day licenses for new applicants.

Link Posted: 11/19/2014 5:20:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

When I called the Jax regional office to make an appt to get mine renewed, they said that I didn't need an appointment and could just walk in. When I did, I gave them the renewal paperwork, they took my new pic, and printed an license on the spot. Hopefully this will streamline into same day licenses for new applicants.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

holy shit, that sounds promising.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 5:30:04 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I'd love to see the data on their work load then compared to now.  My appt was for 0900 and there were about 20 people in the waiting room with 0900 appts.  If they stayed that busy all day.....

View Quote

My appointment was for 1pm but it worked out that I wrapped up all my nearby errands early so I showed up to the office at 9am... so I walk in and I'm asked if I have an appointment.  I say yes, but it isn't until 1pm.  The lady went and got someone else and they both come back with a funny look but since nobody else was there (because the 9am person was late), they took me.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 9:04:46 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I did the Punta Gorda office. A day over two weeks from walking into the appointment and getting my license. Wait was only one day out when I tried to schedule.
View Quote
Same here.

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 2:23:25 PM EDT
[#29]
I went into the Jax regional office in the morning on 10/23/14.

Still waiting.........

Update
It came in today. Yahoo!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top