Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2014 1:47:34 PM EDT
Hello,

In a few weeks I will be taking a weekend trip to Lake Talquin just outside of Tallahassee  My parents-in-law own a cabin on the lake and we would like to do some shooting.  We have a few options and just wanted some input and ideas.

They own 20 acres just north of Lake Talquin in Gadsden County just outside of Mt. Pleasant.  This is in the middle of nowhere but still within earshot of some residential homes.  I know it will be hunting season so I'm sure the shooting won't be alarming.  This is our own private property and we won't be hunting but just doing some shooting.  Probably fire off the .22 and the AR15, just a few magazines.  The land is pretty overgrown and we haven't done any work out there.  Any reasons why we might catch some heat out there?  Also, we don't have a berm setup yet.  What's the difference if you're hunting, because ultimately there is no berm when hunting.

The other option is the free range in the woods, Apalachicola Public Shooting Range.  From what I read, the range can be quite busy during hunting season.  Has anyone had any experience out there?  Are rifles allowed on the weekend?

Thanks for any thoughts on this!
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 4:20:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Legally... you need to take steps to ensure your bullets do not leave your property... otherwise, you will need to get the ok from neighbors reference the bullets entering in or going over their property.  WHEN HUNTING (general term used loosely), if your bullets go over or onto another's property it is considered ARMED TRESPASS.  If you notice in the statute subsection below of FSS 810.09, RECREATIONAL SHOOTING is not mentioned, taking game or dangerous animals is articulated specifically, thus that is an element of the specific subsection.

(h) Any person who in taking or attempting to take any animal described in s. 379.101(19) or (20), or in killing, attempting to kill, or endangering any animal described in s. 585.01(13) knowingly propels or causes to be propelled any potentially lethal projectile over or across private land without authorization commits trespass, a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084. For purposes of this paragraph, the term “potentially lethal projectile” includes any projectile launched from any firearm, bow, crossbow, or similar tensile device. This section does not apply to any governmental agent or employee acting within the scope of his or her official duties.

I've not been able to find any case law that applies the prohibitions of (h) to RECREATIONAL SHOOTING... if it's out there, I've not found it.  That does not mean under the right circumstances, a ricochet won't fall under FSS 784.05 CULPABLE NEGLIGENCE:

784.05 Culpable negligence.—
(1) Whoever, through culpable negligence, exposes another person to personal injury commits a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

(2) Whoever, through culpable negligence, inflicts actual personal injury on another commits a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

You might want to check out Talon Range just west of Tallahassee, located just off I-10 in Midway, the place gets high reviews.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 5:56:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Hello,

In a few weeks I will be taking a weekend trip to Lake Talquin just outside of Tallahassee  My parents-in-law own a cabin on the lake and we would like to do some shooting.  We have a few options and just wanted some input and ideas.

They own 20 acres just north of Lake Talquin in Gadsden County just outside of Mt. Pleasant.  This is in the middle of nowhere but still within earshot of some residential homes.  I know it will be hunting season so I'm sure the shooting won't be alarming.  This is our own private property and we won't be hunting but just doing some shooting.  Probably fire off the .22 and the AR15, just a few magazines.  The land is pretty overgrown and we haven't done any work out there.  Any reasons why we might catch some heat out there?  Also, we don't have a berm setup yet.  What's the difference if you're hunting, because ultimately there is no berm when hunting.

The other option is the free range in the woods, Apalachicola Public Shooting Range.  From what I read, the range can be quite busy during hunting season.  Has anyone had any experience out there?  Are rifles allowed on the weekend?

Thanks for any thoughts on this!
View Quote

If your just outside Mt. Pleasant my hunting farm isn't too far east of you. I shoot there all the time except during hunting season (don't want to spook the game). Never had a problem with the neighbors complaining (my area is just as you describe yours, some residential homes, but mostly woods). I do however have backstop berms on the range I set up on the property.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:02:45 PM EDT
[#3]
+1 for Talon been a member there since shortly after they opened.  They have spoiled me for any other local outdoor range.
http://www.talontraininggroup.com/Talon-Range

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 10:18:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Talon.  No doubt about it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 1:35:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Talon is the best paid range I've ever been to. But if you like going to the free Apalachicola range then it's best to go earlier in the day. Starting in the afternoon you can sometimes run into some riff raff shooting in the air, at the tables, at the concrete wall, just general stupidity.

There's bullet holes everywhere because it isn't regulated.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 7:29:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for all your replies.  I actually called both Talon and the number listed for the Apalachicola free range.  I spoke to the guy at Talon and he said the best time to come is when there is an FSU home game because they're slow then.  I'm in luck, the weekend we're in town FSU will be playing Wake Forest at home.  So we should be GTG early in the day and especially during the game!

I also called Phillip at the Apalachicola free range and he gave me the run down.  He actually recommended Talon since I would be bringing the family with me.  He did mention the free range could get rowdy.

Looks like we'll be doing Talon.  At the price per person though, I could invest the same money into 1 steel target and we could just shoot on the in-law's property.  Still up in the air, but thanks for all your help!
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:24:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Talon Groupon

You're welcome. Although it's limited to Monday - Thursday
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:04:50 AM EDT
[#8]
OP, if you have good access to your 20 Acres, consider buying a load of fill dirt.

For your purposes, the cheapest fill would be fine, 10 yards ( one Load) makes a fine backstop, and you would be set for the future. Throw a bag of grass seed on it when you leave to slow erosion, GTG.

Shouldn't cost more than a few hundred bucks, maybe you could get folks to chip in and share the cost for future shooting privileges.

Florida is very lenient and pro shooting, but as Bowhunter pointed out, you are required to insure that the projectiles don't leave your property.

When hunting, by the way, the goal is to fire one good shot and HIT THE ANIMAL, not spray bullets around the woods. Hunters rarely shoot more than three, even if they miss, and the majority are hunting from a tree stand, shooting down into the dirt.

ETA: I'll add FL Statute 790.15, which offers additional insight into negligent shooting and contains the exception for shooting on lands managed for hunting.

790.15 Discharging firearm in public or on residential property.—
(1) Except as provided in subsection (2) or subsection (3), any person who knowingly discharges a firearm in any public place or on the right-of-way of any paved public road, highway, or street, who knowingly discharges any firearm over the right-of-way of any paved public road, highway, or street or over any occupied premises, or who recklessly or negligently discharges a firearm outdoors on any property used primarily as the site of a dwelling as defined in s. 776.013 or zoned exclusively for residential use commits a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083. This section does not apply to a person lawfully defending life or property or performing official duties requiring the discharge of a firearm or to a person discharging a firearm on public roads or properties expressly approved for hunting by the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or Florida Forest Service.

(2) Any occupant of any vehicle who knowingly and willfully discharges any firearm from the vehicle within 1,000 feet of any person commits a felony of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.

(3) Any driver or owner of any vehicle, whether or not the owner of the vehicle is occupying the vehicle, who knowingly directs any other person to discharge any firearm from the vehicle commits a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.

History.—s. 1, ch. 3289, 1881; RS 2683; GS 3626; RGS 5557; CGL 7743; s. 1, ch. 61-334; s. 745, ch. 71-136; s. 1, ch. 78-17; s. 1, ch. 89-157; s. 229, ch. 99-245; s. 77, ch. 2012-7; s. 3, ch. 2012-108.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top