Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2014 6:20:55 AM EDT
Bought a new Jeep JKU (Oscar Mike edition) a month or so ago.  Want to take it out to the OHV trails in Ocala.  Is this something a stock JKU with the stock on-road/off-road tires can handle reasonably?  Youtube videos of it don't look like it's anything too serious.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:34:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes.........lots of trails nothing to technical.....just a warning though,  you may leave with lots of trail kisses so wax her up good before hand.....if your not worried about pinstripes then disregard :)
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:20:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:11:14 PM EDT
[#3]
many of the OHV trails don't allow vehicles as large as a jeep.  Check for a current trail use map at the ranger station on SR 40, east of Silver Springs.

That said, there are plenty of trails that you can lose  your jeep on.  FR 37, from SR 40 south to the bombing range, and a host of others that will challenge the best off road vehicles.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:06:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Our club is going out to Citrus this weekend if your close out that direction. You would be welcome to join us. Plenty of recovery gear if needed.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:28:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
many of the OHV trails don't allow vehicles as large as a jeep.  Check for a current trail use map at the ranger station on SR 40, east of Silver Springs.

That said, there are plenty of trails that you can lose  your jeep on.  FR 37, from SR 40 south to the bombing range, and a host of others that will challenge the best off road vehicles.
View Quote

Shhhh.....no Jeep can get lost in there.

Onf. Is a big place...you might ride 10 miles...to be fenders deep in a hole that's only 15 ft long.....and keep that in mind....when you look at the maps....314...445..19...40... you bury your ass....you got a good walk to a real road that has traffic. And you better have a cell carrier with coverage ....zero shit for att and others....
I'm glad I moved here :p

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 10:44:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Unless something changed, there isn't anything technical about the jeep trails, although you may not want to go alone unless you have a winch.  The sugar sand can get deep in some areas.  If you want something fun, hit Hardrock or A/B Pit (<---on second thought, don't hit those with a stocker).  

And definitely expect some new pin striping.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes.........lots of trails nothing to technical.....just a warning though,  you may leave with lots of trail kisses so wax her up good before hand.....if your not worried about pinstripes then disregard :)
Unless something changed, there isn't anything technical about the jeep trails, although you may not want to go alone unless you have a winch.  The sugar sand can get deep in some areas.  If you want something fun, hit Hardrock or A/B Pit (<---on second thought, don't hit those with a stocker).  

I don't have a winch yet.  Am I boned?
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:02:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hi lift
Straps
Shovel
One to two chunks of 4+4 or 2*10 as a base plate.
Axe /saw

A small come along helps but the hi lift /farm Jack will do wonders if hi centred on ruts..
Air compressor will help...the sugar sand sucks so air down a few psi.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 12:01:16 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Hi lift

Straps

Shovel

Axe /saw

A small come along helps but the hi lift /farm Jack will do wonders if hi centred on ruts..

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hi lift

Straps

Shovel

Axe /saw

Just go ahead and join the Florida 4x4 facebook group. They like making fun of people that go out alone and need help to get out of their predicaments.

Someone on there that is close to you may be along shortly to help.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 12:06:52 PM EDT
[#9]
I've been meaning to take my liberty off road...need a lift badly though
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:05:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks to everyone for the help.  Found a better alternative for me is to join the Orlando Jeep Club.  They take people on rides in the ONF who have basically stock Jeeps like mine.  Someone along in case I get stuck, and I'll be able to get more info on how best to upgrade.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:03:20 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Thanks to everyone for the help.  Found a better alternative for me is to join the Orlando Jeep Club.  They take people on rides in the ONF who have basically stock Jeeps like mine.  Someone along in case I get stuck, and I'll be able to get more info on how best to upgrade.
View Quote

Good group. You should be good in their hands.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:24:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Just go ahead and join the Florida 4x4 facebook group. They like making fun of people that go out alone and need help to get out of their predicaments.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hi lift
Straps
Shovel
Axe /saw

Hey walking out on foot to sr42 to thumb down one of paisleys finest is one of my highlights of young 4+4 in LOL

In all honestly unless you do /drive stupid onf is tame....now rewind to when I used to run out there....you'd get screwed on many trails....it was always fun after the safari triathlon went thru LOL

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:47:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've been wanting to join OJC...let me know how it is.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 11:00:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Our club is going out to Citrus this weekend if your close out that direction. You would be welcome to join us. Plenty of recovery gear if needed.
View Quote

Wish I had seen this sooner,,im freed up and cleared up this weekend..Havent had the Blazer off roading in awhile.

If anyone else is interested in going to Citrus, the trails are very nice, laid out in a Grid format, with the roads being well marked.. There are a few technical areas but 99;9% of the places can go with a stock vehicle, its just a nice "get away from the city" trail rides we do up there.

I normally just run in 2wd with a locker in the rear.

IF anyone wants to go, lemme know..Its pretty nice up there. No deep holes and you wont lose paint like Ocala.

Also, there are a couple "caves" really giant sinkholes that you can explore and a couple nice campgrounds, one with full bathhouse and hook ups for RVs and then some primitive camping

Link Posted: 7/26/2014 11:01:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

I would never go alone , even with a winch (which I have)..My truck is a full size and normally takes 2 full size rigs to get me unstuck. lol.

Link Posted: 7/26/2014 11:26:58 AM EDT
[#16]
I am heading down to my Miami place for a couple of weeks, but plan to get back into the woods around the middle of August.  Never rode those trails in Citrus county
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 4:52:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Let's see a pic of the new Jeep .
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 7:17:06 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Wish I had seen this sooner,,im freed up and cleared up this weekend..Havent had the Blazer off roading in awhile.

If anyone else is interested in going to Citrus, the trails are very nice, laid out in a Grid format, with the roads being well marked.. There are a few technical areas but 99;9% of the places can go with a stock vehicle, its just a nice "get away from the city" trail rides we do up there.

IF anyone wants to go, lemme know..Its pretty nice up there. No deep holes and you wont lose paint like Ocala.

Also, there are a couple "caves" really giant sinkholes that you can explore and a couple nice campgrounds, one with full bathhouse and hook ups for RVs and then some primitive camping
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't worry... someone brought an old yj that didn't want to run in an incline or sometimes not at all. Had to run to town for parts and ended up just pulling it back to the trailer (luckily he trailered up there). 2 of us did end up at a spot just north of inverness. Holy cow what crazyness back in there.

Scouted nice spot for the clubs next ride, broke my 50 inch light bar on trees(really need to stop going down 4 wheeler trails), broke my exhaust,  and now have my oil pan off to replace rear main seal... jeep life.

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 3:11:26 AM EDT
[#19]
are we talking about Citrus WMA, in the Withlacoochee State forest?
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 3:50:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
are we talking about Citrus WMA, in the Withlacoochee State forest?
View Quote

Search Holder Mine / Mutual Mine...I cant tell you what roads its off of , i just know how to get there using the Brail method. lol.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 7:44:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Let's see a pic of the new Jeep .
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/11/2014 4:19:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Tagging this. I'm up for a meetup with trail riding.

Link Posted: 8/11/2014 5:02:53 PM EDT
[#23]
will my truck fit in the trails?

Link Posted: 8/11/2014 5:09:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

http://i57.tinypic.com/33bcpyw.jpg
View Quote

LoL...a dirt bike barely fits on some of those trails............so im gonna say , probably not..

Where I go in CItrus you would fit.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 5:11:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

LoL...a dirt bike barely fits on some of those trails............so im gonna say , probably not..

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It has Detroit Lockers
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 5:17:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

It has Detroit Lockers
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It has Detroit Lockers

The terrain is mild..its the size of the trail..very Very VERY Narrow....
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 5:25:57 PM EDT
[#27]
I was waiting to hear about one of these last winter. I will most likely be

"Camping" up around Brooksville this winter would be cool if one of these citrus

trips would coincide with one of my trips up that way.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 5:32:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
"Camping" up around Brooksville this winter would be cool if one of these citrus
View Quote

Lemme know when you going..We are already sorta kinda planning on hitting up Citrus once the weather gets a lil cooler and bug free..
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 5:40:40 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Lemme know when you going..We are already sorta kinda planning on hitting up Citrus once the weather gets a lil cooler and bug free..

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I sure will. We have been to Silver Lake and Tillis hill. I think Silver Lake is haunted though ;)

Are those close to the trail?

Link Posted: 8/11/2014 5:48:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I sure will. We have been to Silver Lake and Tillis hill. I think Silver Lake is haunted though ;)

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tillis hill is part of the trail system,,its right in the middle of the trails we ride..Infact Tillis hill is near the "cave" we explore.

This fall/winter we want to actually rent some horses from there and do some Ole Skool Trail riding. lol
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 6:02:42 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Tillis hill is part of the trail system,,its right in the middle of the trails we ride..Infact Tillis hill is near the "cave" we explore.

This fall/winter we want to actually rent some horses from there and do some Ole Skool Trail riding. lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is cool. We are planning a few trips so I will post when we have a date set.

Link Posted: 8/11/2014 6:03:14 PM EDT
[#32]
let me know too.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 2:30:04 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

let me know too.
View Quote

Ditto
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 5:18:13 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Tillis Hill is a good spot. We (family) have pulled the camper up there with the Jeep and went out at night riding around in the woods.

Link Posted: 8/12/2014 6:09:33 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Tillis Hill is a good spot. We (family) have pulled the camper up there with the Jeep and went out at night riding around in the woods.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea..I luv night rides.....

Link Posted: 8/12/2014 9:55:21 AM EDT
[#36]
d-t, I am sure I can join y'all on a Citrus trail ride.  My old 4Runner is still fit, and eager to get going.  
Mine next to your Blazer, back in 2011
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 11:36:39 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
d-t, I am sure I can join y'all on a Citrus trail ride.  My old 4Runner is still fit, and eager to get going.  
Mine next to your Blazer, back in 2011
<a href="http://s626.photobucket.com/user/Knocky/media/Knocky%202011%20second%20half/HalfMoonLake11511_zps9301ad7d.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i626.photobucket.com/albums/tt349/Knocky/Knocky%202011%20second%20half/HalfMoonLake11511_zps9301ad7d.jpg</a>
View Quote

Yea I remember that trip....had to squeeze thru some pretty tight spots,,took Bark off trees on both sides, lol.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 1:42:16 PM EDT
[#38]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b262/die-tryin/K5/DSC01414.jpg

Rigid?
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 2:42:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Rigid?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b262/die-tryin/K5/DSC01414.jpg

Rigid?

Here...........

http://www.sidetrackedoffroad.com/predator-led-light-bars.html

Link Posted: 8/12/2014 6:09:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Pricing isn't bad. How long have you had it? How's it holding up?
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 3:31:57 AM EDT
[#41]
Actually pretty good. I made my own custom mounts and its been up there for 6-8 months...I even took a full on highway speed hit from some kinda bird..Didnt even phase it. lol..
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 5:05:09 PM EDT
[#42]
I got reservations at Tillis Hill on Nov 7 and 8th. Would the 8th Work you guys for a ride at Citrus?
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 5:15:19 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

I got reservations at Tillis Hill on Nov 7 and 8th. Would the 8th Work you guys for a ride at Citrus?
View Quote

I should be able to make that work! You're camping there?
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 5:21:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yea, ill pencil it in, im an hour away so its not a problem.

I may see about camping up at Mutual/Holder mine area that weekend.

what do you have reservations for exactly at Tilis? I thought they just had horseback riding and a couple primitive camp spots in that area.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 5:21:27 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Cool

Yes my My Wife and I in our Travel trailer and another Couple in their own TT.

Link Posted: 8/20/2014 5:26:43 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

what do you have reservations for exactly at Tilis? I thought they just had horseback riding and a couple primitive camp spots in that area.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

They have 28 sites with Water and Electricity and nice bathouse and dump Station. I have stayed there twice before.

We sure need your expertise for this to work.

Link Posted: 8/20/2014 5:34:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

They have 28 sites with Water and Electricity and nice bathouse and dump Station. I have stayed there twice before.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

expertise in what? The area/trails? 4x4ing?

Ill help how and where I can..if you guys want to explore some of the small caves (giant sink holes) its close to the Tilis hills. There is one cave that is very tight to get into, you have to climb down into a small hole and it opens up into a nice big underground room.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 5:43:20 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Ill help how and where I can..if you guys want to explore some of the small caves (giant sink holes) its close to the Tilis hills. There is one cave that is very tight to get into, you have to climb down into a small hole and it opens up into a nice big underground room.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mostly the route and the Cave thing sounds cool.

Link Posted: 8/20/2014 5:45:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LoL..Ok..yea,,i have the map of area (grid) and there are places to stay away from (FWC dont like you to go certain places, although it will look like active trails).

Link Posted: 8/20/2014 5:55:11 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
LoL..Ok..yea,,i have the map of area (grid) and there are places to stay away from (FWC dont like you to go certain places, although it will look like active trails).
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good, I have done some hiking there and would not have a clue where we could go.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top