Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2014 4:06:49 AM EDT
They were talking about opening a large public range on the old Mecca Farms property but I can't find any information if it's still going forward.

Anyone know what's going on?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:34:38 AM EDT
[#1]
the range is "approved" but they took the money for it an spent it on something else during the big panic a few years ago.   Hopefully it will happen some day.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:51:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
the range is "approved" but they took the money for it an spent it on something else during the big panic a few years ago.   Hopefully it will happen some day.
View Quote

Damn; I'm no spring chicken I was hoping to get to shoot there in this lifetime.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:06:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, last I heard the county (Bay) did start construction on a new range somewhere up 79 near the Steelfield Landfill.  Supposedly, phase 1 will be complete by the end of the summer.  That remains to be seen though, as they got a very late start (they were originally supposed to break ground on it at the end of LAST summer).
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:02:32 PM EDT
[#4]
the sheriff range is open twice a month to the public for only $5, just go there for rifle shooting.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:27:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
the sheriff range is open twice a month to the public for only $5, just go there for rifle shooting.
View Quote

What's the longest range they have there?

That's the whole issue with ranges in the Panama City area -- none of them have anything much longer than 150 yards.  The one in Port St. Joe has a 300 yard rifle range, but even that's pretty short.  There's a 1000 yard range north of Crestview (just south of the Alabama line) called the K&M Shooting Center.  It looks like a super  nice facility, but it's pretty expensive and 2 hours away.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:16:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Palm Beach County range in Mecca Farms, not Panama City....
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:26:39 PM EDT
[#7]
This proposed shooting range in Palm Beach County.

http://pbcgov.com/newsroom/0314/03-06-14-d1_mecca.htm

" The South Florida Water Management District agreed to give 150 acres to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission to build a shooting range that will meet Olympic competition standards. The plan includes a

shooting range capable of attracting national shooting events and will include trap and skeet shooting, pistol and rifle ranges along with a pro shop, clubhouse and spectator seating. This property finally has a future with a

multitude of public purposes, benefiting the environment and the citizens of Palm Beach County."
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:31:07 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

This proposed shooting range in Palm Beach County.

http://pbcgov.com/newsroom/0314/03-06-14-d1_mecca.htm

" The South Florida Water Management District agreed to give 150 acres to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission to build a shooting range that will meet Olympic competition standards. The plan includes a

shooting range capable of attracting national shooting events and will include trap and skeet shooting, pistol and rifle ranges along with a pro shop, clubhouse and spectator seating. This property finally has a future with a

multitude of public purposes, benefiting the environment and the citizens of Palm Beach County."
View Quote

Interesting, that's a pretty recent article and it appears this might actually happen....all be it at glacial speed.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 3:38:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Sorry guys, I misread the title as PCB (Panama City Beach) not PBC (Palm Beach County).  Just ignore my previous posts.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 10:28:35 AM EDT
[#10]
No worries!
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 4:48:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Last I heard it's still a go. I'm not that close to there, anyone local swing by and see if they started construction? I was talking to someone recently who played a big part in the planning and that's what they said.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top