Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2014 4:03:52 AM EDT

Does FL housing allow firearms?

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 5:10:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Does FL housing allow firearms?

View Quote

Perhaps I'm missing something obvious, but what is "Florida Housing"?  I hope you're not asking about all of Southwest Florida as if it's a homogeneous group .
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 10:37:36 AM EDT
[#2]
I get SSI and I'm also disable.  Punta Gorda  - Fort Myers

I 'm seeking housing and  was worried if my 2 carbines and 3 handguns would be  a problem.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 11:35:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm seeking housing and  was worried if my 2 carbines and 3 handguns would be  a problem.
View Quote

I don't imagine you're going to find anyone who can answer for what the rules are in each of the thousands of homes, condos and apartments for rent in that area!  That's not really a reasonable question unless you give us a specific apartment complex or something similar.  Then again, I guess if you knew that, you would just read the lease!  

While several States have laws that preempt the ability to ban firearms in public housing - I'm not aware of any laws or regulations that would prevent a private landlord from banning them.  If you sign the lease - you agree to the terms.  If you get caught and the landlord wants to - they can evict you.  In general, though, this is seen as a "non of their business" issue.  If you live somewhere that maintenance people frequently enter, etc., then don't leave anything laying out that could get you in trouble.  

Our HTF here is made up of some very helpful and friendly people, so if you give the group more to go on - you may get more useful info!
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:28:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I don't imagine you're going to find anyone who can answer for what the rules are in each of the thousands of homes, condos and apartments for rent in that area!  That's not really a reasonable question unless you give us a specific apartment complex or something similar.  Then again, I guess if you knew that, you would just read the lease!  

While several States have laws that preempt the ability to ban firearms in public housing - I'm not aware of any laws or regulations that would prevent a private landlord from banning them.  If you sign the lease - you agree to the terms.  If you get caught and the landlord wants to - they can evict you.  In general, though, this is seen as a "non of their business" issue.  If you live somewhere that maintenance people frequently enter, etc., then don't leave anything laying out that could get you in trouble.  

Our HTF here is made up of some very helpful and friendly people, so if you give the group more to go on - you may get more useful info!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm seeking housing and  was worried if my 2 carbines and 3 handguns would be  a problem.

My dirty laundry

Goodwill housing finds places for disable / SSI  and without a criminal record .  That's Me and I'm only 49.

I asked for 2 bed room because I have full custody of my daughter. Goodwill came up with a place pretty fast  6 months.
my Daughter refused to move in with me. She be 18 in 8 months  so I didn't force the issue. So I told them No and asked for a 1 bed room. that's been almost a year ago.

I'm trying to find other options.  Punta Gorda housing  has a 3 wait until one can put in a ap for a 1 bed room apt.

I will stash my spare carbine in a tool box  and  break apart my go to carbine and sell the 14.5 LMT upper/aimpoint  on the ee and sell off my defender lower sopmod 2stage lower locally

I`ll keep my M642 and P30S 9mm  and my 90`s Sig that is still not broken in (under 2000rds)  shouldn't be hard to find.  

BTW

I read that GA passed a law allowing to keep your rights in housing.  Or should I say pay for your rights/ permit to carry  handguns.
I hope FL will do the same if not already?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:34:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
My dirty laundry

Goodwill housing finds places for disable / SSI  and without a criminal record .  That's Me and I'm only 49.

I asked for 2 bed room because I have full custody of my daughter. Goodwill came up with a place pretty fast  6 months.
my Daughter refused to move in with me. She be 18 in 8 months  so I didn't force the issue. So I told them No and asked for a 1 bed room. that's been almost a year ago.

I'm trying to find other options.  Punta Gorda housing  has a 3 wait until one can put in a ap for a 1 bed room apt.

I will stash my spare carbine in a tool box  and  break apart my go to carbine and sell the 14.5 LMT upper/aimpoint  on the ee and sell off my defender lower sopmod 2stage lower locally

I`ll keep my M642 and P30S 9mm  and my 90`s Sig that is still not broken in (under 2000rds)  shouldn't be hard to find.  

BTW

I read that GA passed a law allowing to keep your rights in housing.  Or should I say pay for your rights/ permit to carry  handguns.
View Quote

Okay - that makes a little more sense.  I guess what's not clear to me is whether Goodwill places you in government subsidized housing or private housing?  Sorry.  I have no experience with what you're facing besides the fact I'm a landlord.  

I don't know the specifics of the GA law, but I believe there is national precedent via HUD that they cannot restrict firearms ownership in Federally funded housing.  With that said, I am a strong advocate for property rights, and think the government has no business telling a property owner what he may or may not allow in his building.  If I decide to ban blue-jeans, I can.  I can deny females from living on the premises or being there after 10 p.m. if I'm so inclined.  I can ban charcoal grills, gasoline stored in plastic cans, smoking - whatever I want really.  As a landlord - I should have any rights I want on my own property (with the exception of discrimination).  The flip side, of course, is that tenants have a right not to rent from me, and if I become too onerous - I won't have any tenants.  It sounds a lot like the basic premise of Capitalism to me!  

Anyway, I have no judgment about why you're in the circumstance you're in, but if you show up with your hand out - you can't put a lot of conditions on it.  Rather than ask us here, you'd really be better off going to Goodwill (or wherever you're trying to get in) and ask for a copy of the lease.  Tell them you want to read it in advance so you can speed up the process when they do find a unit for you.  A few pages of reading and you'll have your answer??
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:50:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Okay - that makes a little more sense.  I guess what's not clear to me is whether Goodwill places you in government subsidized housing or private housing?  Sorry.  I have no experience with what you're facing besides the fact I'm a landlord.  

I don't know the specifics of the GA law, but I believe there is national precedent via HUD that they cannot restrict firearms ownership in Federally funded housing.  With that said, I am a strong advocate for property rights, and think the government has no business telling a property owner what he may or may not allow in his building.  If I decide to ban blue-jeans, I can.  I can deny females from living on the premises or being there after 10 p.m. if I'm so inclined.  I can ban charcoal grills, gasoline stored in plastic cans, smoking - whatever I want really.  As a landlord - I should have any rights I want on my own property (with the exception of discrimination).  The flip side, of course, is that tenants have a right not to rent from me, and if I become too onerous - I won't have any tenants.  It sounds a lot like the basic premise of Capitalism to me!  

Anyway, I have no judgment about why you're in the circumstance you're in, but if you show up with your hand out - you can't put a lot of conditions on it.  Rather than ask us here, you'd really be better off going to Goodwill (or wherever you're trying to get in) and ask for a copy of the lease.  Tell them you want to read it in advance so you can speed up the process when they do find a unit for you.  A few pages of reading and you'll have your answer??
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My dirty laundry

BTW

So you agree with the government telling you who you can rent to in this respect? Why do you disagree with any others?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:00:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

So you agree with the government telling you who you can rent to in this respect? Why do you disagree with any others?
View Quote

Let's just say I am a staunch advocate of property and individual rights and leave it at that.  I didn't mean to suggest my support or condemnation of discrimination laws.  They exist, and that's as far as I'm going to go down that rabbit hole....
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:31:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Let's just say I am a staunch advocate of property and individual rights and leave it at that.  I didn't mean to suggest my support or condemnation of discrimination laws.  They exist, and that's as far as I'm going to go down that rabbit hole....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I understand fully. I did screen my calls if you know what I mean!  And might pay for it now.

Matter of fact I was a property manager for a long time for Littlehause properties. 1986-1995  1999-2003 ( in 1983 my first job was at IBM siting at a desk filing papers. in between Littlehause I worked as a welder and shipping clerk btw loved that job)

My family just the 3 of us. Own several houses. I did the repairs and yard work and collect checks.

Its to bad I was paid cash  with no taxes taking out..

The guy who use to live across the street draws disability  /SSI for his so called broken back.  I've seen him lift fridge  all by himself.  I assure you Im not one of those.

Matter of fact I broke my back in in the 89 but that not  the main reason  why I draw SSI at my young age.
BTW
I wont ask goodwill but I will check out the lease.

Good talking to you.
Top Top