Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/5/2014 8:40:39 AM EDT
As you may know, we do not allow the SERPA holster to be used in our classes at Florida Firearms Training, unless the holster is duty issue for LEO, security firm or Government employees. Even then we don't like them and spend time trying to educate the clients on other possible options. I was recently sent the following from a student. Where he got the document from I am not sure but it really highlights our own findings and feelings towards the holster.

Enjoy!
.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ......................

KNOWN ISSUES WITH SERPA HOLSTERS
There are at least five known safety issues with the BLACKHAWK! brand SERPA holsters. At a minimum the first safety issue is also present in any of the other copy-cat holsters that are designed to release the retention device by pressing your trigger finger towards the body while drawing.

1) Trigger finger slipping onto trigger during draw stroke under pressure causing ND into shooters leg during draw stroke due to design of release.

We know of a few ND’s on the draw stroke that have occurred to Officers in Washington State agencies when shooters were using Sherpa holsters. The most recent I know of was on 11/19/11 when a Deputy from the Pierce Co SO had an ND 1911 his leg while drawing from a SERPA holster during in- service training. I know this sort of injury has also occurred with the Spokane SO in the past and based on the numbers of this type of self-inflicted wound that I have heard of happening outside of in-service training in the state, I would be surprised if there was no history of other incidents of this happening with WA agencies.

This has happened enough that a specific wound profile has been seen which in some circles has been referred to as the “SERPA bite”. The wound resulting from this type of ND typically is described as “a round entering just below the level of the holster on the lateral side of the thigh and exiting the medial side of the thigh just above the knee.”

These ND’s happen with shooters with a wide variety of experience. From the novice, to the highly experienced, the very design of the retention device induces the trigger finger to slip inside of the trigger guard when stress is added (being on a shot timer, qualifying, being in a gunfight, etc), even for those that have been using this type of holster for a long time.

2) Holster can be physically pulled off of duty belt during “gun grab” due to inferior design and materials used.
The construction of the holster is sub-par compared to offerings from other, well known, duty holster companies. In my research on this issue, I have seen SHERPA holsters shearing in half, large chunks of the plastic breaking off, screw heads being pulled through the backing plates, belt loops torn off the holster and other critical failures in retention resulting in the loss of control of the firearm to the bad guy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOBEJvMZ_f4

3) Release can be clogged with snow/sand/debris completely locking up the holster and preventing the weapon from being released.
In 2005, I was a member of an organization in Mosul, Iraq with about 6 operational members. One day in the spring of 2005, we were issued brand new SERPA holsters for our Glock 19 pistols. Immediately, we put them on our gear and began a training program with them. Within a matter of days, 10-15 of the holsters had to be catastrophically disassembled with a hammer and large screw driver as that was the only way to get the pistol out of the holster after the retention device bound up due to sand getting into it. Seven years later, this continues to be an issue with these holsters and in addition to sand, a minimal amount of dirt or snow has been shown produce the same results.

We know of a Seattle PD Officer who had his SERPA lock up on him from debris during a training class in April of 2011 (the following is a video demonstrating this from a course in New Mexico and is separate from the event I just referenced).
http://link.brightcove.com/services/...IBGk~,NZYO3xUD M_E0TWMBUpCe8YivKyjrCCqn&bctid=1155868233001

4) When weapon is inserted in the holster backwards during commonly taught methods for one handed manipulations, the pistols can get stuck in the holster and the only way to remove it is to completely remove a screw to release the front sight.

If you look inside an empty SHERPA holster, along the back wall, there's a plastic bar that starts in front of the trigger guard and ends about halfway to the bottom of the holster. As the gun is inserted, that bar is compressed against the holster body by the dust cover, creating a friction fit. If you insert the gun backwards, that lever is compressed first by the front sight, then by the balance of the slide, creating the same friction fit. The trouble starts after the front sight clears the end of that bar. The FS is taller than the slide, and after the end of the bar clears the FS, the bar snaps down onto the slide. When you try to pull the gun back out, the bar catches the FS locking the gun in place.This can be corrected by removing the screw that holds the bar in place, or you can slide a long narrow paddle of some sort in to raise the bar above the FS allowing it to clear.
Fatal flaw: This cannot be corrected while in the fight. The gun is stuck. This is a known issue with all models of Glock pistols as well as the M&P line. At a minimum, I would imagine it would be an issue for all other pistols with a generally square profiled slide.

5) With some firearms, the magazine release can be activated while an officer is seated in their vehicle resulting in the magazine falling out of the pistol without the officer’s knowledge.
On 3/1/12, an officer approached me (Stefan Wolak, Firearms Instructor for the Okanogan County Sheriff’s Office) stating he had an issue with his new holster / pistol combination. He just started using a Gen 4 Glock-17 and has a “SERPA Level 3 Auto-Lock Duty Holster”-
http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Lev...,1175,1412.htm
about a week ago.
When sitting down in a vehicle, the combination of holster, seatbelt buckle and seat push the holster into a position that causes the Gen 4 magazine release to activate, causing the magazine to fall out onto the floor or seat of the vehicle, leaving the officer with only one round in his firearm. Multiple times yesterday and today, myself and this officer set up his pistol in the holster and watched the magazine get ejected as he buckled the seatbelt and got settled into the seat. Given how common the Glock-17/22 sized frame is in LE, this is yet another significant issue with the holster design.
This is not anything I have seen with other duty holster designs. I have seen it in some concealment holster designs when using an extended magazine release (Glock 34/35’s, “race” 1911’s, etc), but I have never seen this issue in duty holsters, or with standard length magazine releases.

Training companies that I can think of off the top of my head that have banned SERPA’s during class, or at least STRONGLY suggest other holster designs- BRTC (banned) Vickers Tactical (banned) EAG Tactical (banned unless you are military) Todd Lewis Green (banned) Gunsite (strongly suggests other designs) Kyle Defoor (will allow them if the retention device has been deactivated and retention is only performed by the tension screw) Wilson Tactical Training (banned) Cerino Training Group (strongly suggests other designs)

In addition, we know that FLETC is currently looking into issues with the SERPA holsters due to 3 recent ND’s including 2 resulting in injuries to the upper leg with the very real possibility that they will ban them as well.

The SERPA issue is one I feel strongly about and have for many years. I have been responsible for hosting a variety of firearms training courses at the Okanogan SO range for the past three years. While we have not had any of these issues appear yet during training, they are happening enough across the country and across all skill levels that I will not allow a student to attend training that I host with a “holster who’s retention device is defeated by applying pressure with the trigger finger towards the body (ie BLACKHAWK! SERPA brand holsters). “

I have compiled this information from a variety of sources. Some was personal experience, some was personal communication with others involved in these incidents and some was from a (very) little bit of research into the problems associated with the SERPA holster. I specify “very little” research, because when one starts really looking at the issues brought up, there is a veritable landslide of individuals having these issues with the SERPA holster. It is entirely correct to say that these are not isolated incidents.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 4:41:43 PM EDT
[#1]
SERPAs are garbage.
Im sure you have seen the video of Tex Grebner AD'ing himself from a SERPA-

http://youtu.be/zYvAxLX6OzE
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 5:22:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
SERPAs are garbage.
Im sure you have seen the video of Tex Grebner AD'ing himself from a SERPA-

http://youtu.be/zYvAxLX6OzE
View Quote

TEX shot himself because he's a retard. Tex had been using a glock with a thumb drive holster earlier and switched to the 1911 in a serpa. He switched off the safety on the 1911 as he tried to draw the pistol from the holster and he got his finger on the trigger with the safety off.

the serpa's i've used (glock and XD) the finger doesn't enter the trigger guard when drawing the pistol. it ends up on the frame above the trigger.

however.......the big problem with serpas is they are difficult to use under stress. what happens is you go to draw and drepess the switch and the same time you are tugging on the pistol...bam you jammed the mechanism. I use either the serpa sportser that has no button or kydex.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 6:37:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I have been using a serpa holster for carry and 3 gun matches over the past 5 years. I have both leve 3 thigh rig for 3 gun and 1 OWB for carry. Never had an issue.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 8:05:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a couple SERPA holsters... no issues.  The only concern I have, and believe MIGHT be a problem under the right circumstances, is something getting in the way of the release.
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 3:16:29 AM EDT
[#5]
This is old news.  No one chooses this holster unless its issued to them or they don't gun for a living.
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 6:28:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is old news.  No one chooses this holster unless its issued to them or they don't gun for a living.
View Quote

saw many in Afghanistan
I used a safariland thigh rig
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 10:13:18 AM EDT
[#7]
More than a few people around my Agency used or are currently using Serpa holsters and we haven't had a negligent discharges blamed on the holster.
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 1:56:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Anything can fail..........................

No issues with mine to date
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top