Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2014 12:30:34 PM EDT
Advanced Carbine Applications Course AAR

Just wanted to post in the hometown forum about a recent carbine class that was hosted by Bob aka Bowhntr6pt of Signal-0 Productions

After taking a precision rifle course with Bob, he was gracious enough to put this course together. It was a private course that I had arranged with Bob for me and some buddies.

Bob is a great instructor and generous host and was willing to work with us on some of tactics we wanted to cover as well as some great content he came up with.

The class was made up of civilians, full-time law enforcement and volunteer law enforcement. We had 7 guys in class and everyone has had some level of professional firearms training previously (military, law enforcement, civilian firearms courses).

Because over half the class were law enforcement we wanted to incorporate transitions to pistols into most drills if long guns went dry.

Everyone had a positive attitude and was ready to learn, try new things and give it their best efforts.

Day One

0900 start time
Safety Briefing, Gear Check, Zero Rifles, Snap Shooting, Malfunction drills, Reloading, Shooting on the move (forward, backward, lateral), Transitions, support side shooting (rifle & pistol), Room entry, basic Shield work. I think because we had a class full of friends we needed some bragging rights so we ended the day with a little Pistol shooting competition, 60 yards and 100 yards support hand and strong hand ;-)
We also did rifle work at 100 yards offhand, 125 yards sitting/kneeling, 200 yards with barricade.
1700 end time

Dinner, a little night vision demo, and a bonfire, then a really good nights sleep

Day Two

0800 start time
It was cold and rainy so it was good training weather
Barricade work (approaching,shooting, unconventional positions,) low crawling, shooting from cover, two man tactics, moving forward and backwards, communication. We finished the day with 10 timed drills for speed and accuracy to add pressure and lots of razing and harassment from good friends. Finished up with AAR and feedback session.

1600 end time

Overall Bob delivered everything we hoped for and even some really good surprises. He is a good judge of a shooters ability and able to clearly communicate what he wants and how to achieve it respectfully to the shooter. He pushes you enough to challenge you but not too much to discourage you. He  humbly teaches real world tactics and techniques without any B.S. and does it while having fun and maitaining a high level of safety.

If you are looking for great affordable training you need to look into the classes Bob teaches.

For everyone who wants to know about gear and equipment

Gear
Duty Rigs for LEO (Safariland) x4
Various rigs (Raven Concealment, Safariland, Bladetech, TAG, War belts etc.)

Carbines
SBR AR15's (LMT's x3, Sig 556)
Colt 6940, Sig M400, Bushmaster Patrol

Pistols
Sig P220 .45 x4
Sig P226 9mm
XD .45
Glock 21SF .45

Knives
Boker
Emerson x3
Kershaw
Gerber

Pics to follow
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 2:55:25 PM EDT
[#1]
And don't forget the TOPS Steel Eagle 105 under knives . Seriously, this was amazing training, I recommend it to anyone. Bob is an awesome instructor. And of course, since pics or it didn't happen:

Link Posted: 1/20/2014 3:20:40 PM EDT
[#2]
This class was truly an amazing experience.  I think that I might have been one of the least experienced guys there, and I learned an absolute ton from Bob.  He really took his time with explaining not only the "how" but also the "why" behind each of the drills that we were doing.  He was very accommodating of the different setups that each of us brought and was very curious about the details of each of our setups.  A lot of attention was paid to ensuring that each drill was done with safety in mind while still proving opportunities that practice things that are just not possible on a static range.  

Over all I can't give this a higher recommendation and look forward to taking another class from Bob again in the future!
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 4:01:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Here are a few pics

Bob demonstrating for us shooting on the move

Half the class doing it

The other half of the class doing it

Pistol transition

Lateral shooing on the move

Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:10:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the AAR and feedback... you guys were a great bunch to train with.  

Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:34:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Any weapons or gear issues come up?
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 6:11:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Any weapons or gear issues come up?
View Quote

Good question...

1 guy had some sling issues on the morning of day one, i loaned him a vikings tactical sling after lunch, issues resolved

1 guy had a few mag issues on day two, using new USGI mags from DSG, swapped out with used USGI mags, no more issues

Our Agency just switched over to Sig P220 and we just got them in the last couple weeks, so a few of us had some failure to lock back on an empty mag from a thumbs forward hold, but after using them there wasn't any issue with that on day two.

Those were the only things i remember off the top of my head
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 3:47:47 PM EDT
[#7]
How long ago did you change occupations  Haven't seen you up at the range in a long time.  In fact I think the last time I did see you was at a Pat Rogers carbine class years ago.

Looks like a nice set-up you got there Bob.  
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 4:24:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

As of now, just a safe, fun place to shoot and train.  I have bigger range plans for the future if the borrow pit will ever dry out.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 7:12:08 PM EDT
[#9]
I am looking forward to the course on Feb 1st and 2nd
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 3:36:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I am looking forward to the course on Feb 1st and 2nd
View Quote

I am sure you are going to have a great time, and for the price you can't beat it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 5:18:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

As of now, just a safe, fun place to shoot and train.  I have bigger range plans for the future if the borrow pit will ever dry out.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I remember back when you had 1st put the tires up as a burn. Looks like you have done a lot more since then. Is the range local to your AO?
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 6:12:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I remember back when you had 1st put the tires up as a burn. Looks like you have done a lot more since then. Is the range local to your AO?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No... unfortunately it's up in Jefferson county... about a 2 1/2 hour run for me.  I would have bigger/better berms set up by now if it had not been for all the rain in the past year.  Damn near 20 years my borrow pit has been EMPTY and DRY... now the time comes I want the dirt, and nothing but rain, rain, rain.

As soon as the water goes, I have some more berm work to do.  But for now it's adequate and has held up for over a year of hard use.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 11:20:05 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm out of Miami but I would love to come up to do a class weekend next time you guys are in Orlando.

Looks like a great time :)
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 5:41:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Update, someone asked me offline about round count...

We were advised to plan on 500 rounds for rifle and 100 rounds for pistol

My Round Count
Rifle    473
Pistol    76
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top