Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
HK416 / MR556 Pic Thread (Page 9 of 10)
Page / 10
Link Posted: 2/28/2023 1:04:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Did anything good come out of shot show from HK?
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 5:59:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 6:00:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 2:59:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 3:21:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote

Engravings look pretty good to my eye. Who did you end up having do them? Did you go w/ Cerakote or re-anodize? And what clone are you gonna build?
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 3:38:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JohnnyUtah427] [#6]
Originally Posted By TinyCrumb:

Engravings look pretty good to my eye. Who did you end up having do them? Did you go w/ Cerakote or re-anodize? And what clone are you gonna build?
View Quote

Local engraver did them with the HK engraving files.  

Its cerakote elite blackout.

Building a Slayde clone with tan eotech, magpul handstop, tan atpial pushed up, and no back up irons.  

Link Posted: 3/9/2023 9:34:55 AM EDT
[#7]
SF can is a stand in until the AAC can is approved.  Had to use the modbutton as I burned the wire on the original atpial switch...need to figure that out somehow......

Link Posted: 3/26/2023 4:16:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Anyone got pics of the midwest industries rail? Doesn't seem to be all that popular.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 12:36:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 5:00:52 AM EDT
[#10]
I swapped over to a Geissele rail and have had about zero desire to swap back to the 10.4 Remington Defense rail, think it's worth keeping or do I just sell it for other things I want?

If it's not against the rules (I'm not offering it for sale here) what do the short fde rails go for now? I see wildly fluctuating prices on the 14.5s but nothing on other configurations.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 6:52:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 9:05:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sbye] [#12]
Originally Posted By DSArms_FAL:

I saw a 10.4 sell for $900 right away on gb, I have a 14.5 rem rail and I bet I only will get $500 for it. I pulled it from the market but the guy welched. lot of interest in the rem rail so I bet your 10.4 will go fast.
View Quote

Wow. I had no idea. Is it only the tan short one that goes for a premium? Or does black go for a lot as well?

I have a black rail that's been sitting in the box for a couple years now.
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 4:09:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/15/2023 10:23:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Solo_] [#14]
I wasn't going to post it here (I thought) but then, more original HK parts just materialized (in the sense that I am dishing out tons of money for original components) in addition to receiver, rail, stock, grip and next week bolt carrier, gas block, more stocks and more tidbits.
Used to own a MR but what I had always wanted was the 416 anyways.

I will keep it as much as I can in classic form, I swore it'd keep the quadrail that I love so much (old timer here - have plenty of Geissele designs on other rifles).
If anything I am going to even bring it back further

Suffice for now waiting on those other parts,

ETA: Lower is Colt. I decided I am not going to go for a clone or original HK Lower

416-ness by Solo__, on Flickr

Quad Railed by Solo__, on Flickr

Link Posted: 4/15/2023 11:52:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Solo_:
I wasn't going to post it here (I thought) but then, more original HK parts just materialized (in the sense that I am dishing out tons of money for original components) in addition to receiver, rail, stock, grip and next week bolt carrier, gas block, more stocks and more tidbits.

I will keep it as much as I can in classic form, I swore it'd keep the quadrail that I love so much (old timer here - have plenty of Geissele designs on other rifles).

ETA: Lower is Colt. I decided I am not going to go for a clone or original HK Lower

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52819524493_3dc53974d0_h.jpg416-ness by Solo__, on Flickr

View Quote

Jelly
Link Posted: 4/15/2023 12:10:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Vonbongo] [#16]
Originally Posted By Omega9000:
Anyone got pics of the midwest industries rail? Doesn't seem to be all that popular.
View Quote

MI rail on brownelles BRN4 upper.  So mine has an issue.  If it’s mount flush with the receiver the upper will not go on a lower.  The rail sits too far back where the front takedown holes are and it will not let the upper sit back far enough to put the pins in.  The short term fix was to move it forward slightly and there was enough play I could do that and still engage the mounting screw.  Ultimately I will modify it to fit.  I am not sure if that’s an issue with the BRN4 upper or the MI rail.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 2:32:59 PM EDT
[#17]

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52819524493_3dc53974d0_h.jpg416-ness by Solo__, on Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52820025419_7441308606_h.jpgQuad Railed by Solo__, on Flickr

View Quote

The only reason I ever bothered to build a 416 was that the BRN-4 lowers were available at the time, now I'd say just go with a standard or lmt lower. Not being able to use gen 2 pmags can get annoying sometimes.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 3:14:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By JoEnge1136:

The only reason I ever bothered to build a 416 was that the BRN-4 lowers were available at the time, now I'd say just go with a standard or lmt lower. Not being able to use gen 2 pmags can get annoying sometimes.
View Quote
Very true.
I'm staying with a standard lower - just looking for a blank one (no logos, I hate logos other than Colt, the current one here) and maybe pictograms.
That'd be all.

Got more parts to showoff, bolt carrier, stocks and more internals... this is it

HK416 Clone by Solo__, on Flickr

HK416 Clone by Solo__, on Flickr

Link Posted: 4/19/2023 3:51:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By JoEnge1136:

View Quote

Just a sucker for the squared off magwell I guess. I'll be shelling out some dollars for the black ops defense lower in tano to complete the CAG build. I blame Jamey Caldwell for the Wilcox FDE riser re-release. That part (along with an XPS3 FDE), are turning into a CAG clone. With any luck I'll get to post it here at some point.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 9:42:13 AM EDT
[#20]
I was listening to a short from GBRS group (former development group guys) who stated they had to run hydraulic buffers in their 416s to deal with the over gassed system while utilizing suppressors. Slade (another former development group guy) mentioned in another podcast that their 416s with suppressors would snap triggers and cause a runaway gun (due to overgassing). Has anyone ever used a hydraulic buffer in their 10" 416 clones?
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 10:15:53 AM EDT
[#21]
I was listening to a short from GBRS group (former development group guys) who stated they had to run hydraulic buffers in their 416s to deal with the over gassed system while utilizing suppressors. Slade (another former development group guy) mentioned in another podcast that their 416s with suppressors would snap triggers and cause a runaway gun (due to overgassing). Has anyone ever used a hydraulic buffer in their 10" 416 clones?
View Quote

I'm assuming this was due to the unvented gas block 416s?     I had an unvented 416 upper...it was a violent nitemare suppressed.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 10:26:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By JohnnyUtah427:

I'm assuming this was due to the unvented gas block 416s?     I had an unvented 416 upper...it was a violent nitemare suppressed.
View Quote

I would assume they got vented 416s since they came into Dev around 2011 and retired about 2018-2019. But who knows with military contracts and fulfillment if they ever got the updated gas blocks.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 11:57:08 AM EDT
[#23]
View Quote

I use an h3 and super 42 braided spring, unsuppressed I get 3-4 o'clock ejection, and suppressed gets 1-2, more or less like standard carbine length gas system rifles. I have a vented gas block. The initial "punch" from the piston striking the carrier is what probably breaks hammer pins and the like.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 12:07:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Curious about this hydraulic buffer….wonder which one they were using.

I also wouldn’t mind trying one as well.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 4:10:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Solo_] [#25]
Essentially definitive version now - this is how most likely it'll stay (newer lower receiver with pictograms, Geissele SSA-E trigger, ... )

Love it so, been shooting it weekly now.
I hear some of you speaking of stout recoil, I truly can't feel much difference from my other (many) AR15 SBRs including a few Mk18s and the like.

(ETA suppressed or unsuppressed, really can't tell much of a difference, about 500 rounds through it so far, my gas block is unvented)

BRN-4 416D Geissele by Solo__, on Flickr

Link Posted: 6/3/2023 4:25:15 AM EDT
[#26]
I didn't know the SSA-E could work with the HK BCG?
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 6:23:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Solo_] [#27]
Originally Posted By Flipz:
View Quote
Me neither - and it works magnificently. I hoped it'd work, it does. Not a single hiccup, not even a hint of it - went through a few hundred rounds.
Please note - the lower ain't an HK nor a clone of it; it's an actual AR15 lower with pictograms. I'll have it scripted a-la H&K416D yada-yada ASAP by sending it to appropriate shop; so the lower is an actual, standard and common AR15 lower with an installed Geissele SSA-E for actual AR15s, not for HK416s (just want to be clear about this).

The upper is an actual HK416 upper (BRN-4 stripped, actual Heckler & Koch and not-a-Brownells-replica receiver upper) with an actual HK416 (MR!) BCG.
Barrel and piston are Brownells (gas block is actual, non-vented H&K)

Works. Like. A. Dream (buffer, spring actual HK416 hardware as well)

ETA: in short this short beast (registered SBR) is a true bastard (with however plenty of original parts especially where functionally I thought it was relevant and some, aesthetically) which I (humbly) think looks terrific and works as intended.
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 3:27:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Flipz:
View Quote

I bought a used 416 bcg for mine that didn't have the firing pin safety installed, no issues with slam fires, although another member here got me a spare safety in case I ever decide I want to install it.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 3:55:46 PM EDT
[#29]
My new 2-gun/Run and Gun rifle.

Link Posted: 6/9/2023 4:02:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Went back to the quad rail
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 5:14:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By sbye:
Went back to the quad rail
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/260726/20230608_130420-2845434.jpg
View Quote
Bad = ass.

I'll say this, IF there was ever an element of distinction (and one I thought was cool) with 416s, that was the quad rail.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 6:05:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Next project in process.

Link Posted: 6/11/2023 9:55:28 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 6/11/2023 9:56:32 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 5:22:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GrizzlyAtlas] [#35]
Still a work in progress, some parts may be swapped down the road.
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 5:45:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By GrizzlyAtlas:
Still a work in progress, some parts may be swapped down the road.
https://i.imgur.com/zPBfFs7.jpg
View Quote

Whoaaaaa with the Rev B flex! Nice work, beautiful. If you don't do a 24th STS clone out of this the clone gods will revolt.
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 5:51:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By TinyCrumb:

Whoaaaaa with the Rev B flex! Nice work, beautiful. If you don't do a 24th STS clone out of this the clone gods will revolt.
View Quote

The thought has crossed my mind...
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 10:03:09 AM EDT
[#38]
What light mount for the Surefire are you using
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 12:14:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Schmidter:
What light mount for the Surefire are you using
View Quote

You're gonna need to quote the post you're talking about to get info.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 10:48:37 AM EDT
[#40]
What’s the modification? I want to use it on mine
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 11:07:56 AM EDT
[#41]
View Quote

@Schmidter you need to use the quote button so we can figure out what you're asking about.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 11:09:52 AM EDT
[#42]
View Quote

I can only assume you mean on the quad rail. If so, typically people use an S&S precision light mount. It was made specifically for the 416 quad rail. But it's been discontinued as quad rails have not been in use much anymore. On the geissele SMRs I think they are just bolted on with screws directly on the handguard.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 11:25:52 AM EDT
[#43]
Yep, That’s what I was wondering about. Are the standard Surefire screws what are used to bolt the lights directly onto the SMR? I’m assuming there isn’t anything special needed
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 1:52:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Yep, That’s what I was wondering about. Are the standard Surefire screws what are used to bolt the lights directly onto the SMR? I’m assuming there isn’t anything special needed
View Quote

I don’t know. I’ve never had a geissele rail before.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 10:03:47 PM EDT
[#45]
View Quote

Arisaka SMR scout mount
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 11:39:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RangerRed] [#46]
Originally Posted By Schmidter:Yep, That's what I was wondering about. Are the standard Surefire screws what are used to bolt the lights directly onto the SMR? I'm assuming there isn't anything special needed
View Quote

I ended up using a Unity MLOK direct mount and ground down the edges to fit into the vents at the 1o'clock.

*edit* naturally I can't get my picture to work.

https://imgur.com/a/oNIg7OX
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 3:36:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Solo_] [#47]
Back in Black (it seems to me that the more I keep the HK416 close to what it was when it came out, the better for me)

Back in Black by Solo__, on Flickr

Link Posted: 8/26/2023 9:15:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Different day, different furniture, different light (I love this rifle)

US Mil Style HK416D by Solo__, on Flickr

US Mil Style HK416D by Solo__, on Flickr

Link Posted: 8/26/2023 9:42:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Different day, different furniture, different light (I love this rifle)

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53144051779_c60a82c297_h.jpgUS Mil Style HK416D by Solo__, on Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53143842431_9182842ab9_h.jpgUS Mil Style HK416D by Solo__, on Flickr

View Quote

Prefer the new furniture but I think I prefer the ACOG. Either way, I'm jelly.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 10:00:01 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:

Prefer the new furniture but I think I prefer the ACOG. Either way, I'm jelly.
View Quote
haha - I need to change it every now and then, just like a fucking Barbie, bro
Page / 10
HK416 / MR556 Pic Thread (Page 9 of 10)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top