Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2017 12:18:58 PM EDT
I know the MP5 works with hollow points for some people out there but mine currently chokes on almost every single attempt to chamber one. I've attempted to use them with my MKE mags as well as one German HK 30 round magazine. The round ends up vertical, when being stripped from the magazine, and blocks the bolt from going into battery.

I've heard tales of being able to mod the MP5 to feed hollow points/flat nosed rounds more reliably and am curious if anyone has had this mod done. If so, whom did you send it off to, to have the work done? I'm genuinely interested in making my clone run with a wider assortment of ammo and having the ability to use hollow points would be a nice addition.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 8:59:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Did you contact Zenith?

I tried once, loaded 15rds of RA9T in a German 15rd mag of unknown usage. First and second attempts and the top round went vertical. Third attempt loaded and fired all 15 (suppressed + #28LP).  I need to try again but I think I have had a few too many things happen to use it for serious work.  Maybe it's all mag related but the German 15rd was supposed to be my benchmark.

Once I get to 500 rounds malfunction free I will go back and run the Rangers. I would like the Z-5P to be in the HD category vice range toy.

Had more issues with middle round (AE147) and 1 specific mag. Seems like if I download 28 all is well with my KCI/HK hybrid mags.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 12:31:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Did you contact Zenith?

I tried once, loaded 15rds of RA9T in a German 15rd mag of unknown usage. First and second attempts and the top round went vertical. Third attempt loaded and fired all 15 (suppressed + #28LP).  I need to try again but I think I have had a few too many things happen to use it for serious work.  Maybe it's all mag related but the German 15rd was supposed to be my benchmark.

Once I get to 500 rounds malfunction free I will go back and run the Rangers. I would like the Z-5P to be in the HD category vice range toy.

Had more issues with middle round (AE147) and 1 specific mag. Seems like if I download 28 all is well with my KCI/HK hybrid mags.
https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3929/33696998431_0400a9cb31_z.jpg
View Quote
I have not contacted Zenith, as I've heard tale that the MP5 was designed before the common use of hollow points and that most of the time they just don't work in the platform, or so I've been told.

I attempted to use my German HK mag downloaded to numerous quantities and no matter the amount, it would have issues in getting the rounds to chamber.

I'll confess, the only hollow point load I've attempted to use so far has been my Ranger 147 grain subsonic hollowpoints.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 3:29:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Attempted 30 rounds of 127 grain ranger +p+ hollow points and had better success however it still experienced numerous failure to feeds, in the same fashion as the 147 grains. I did notice, on a few occasions, I was able to perform remedial drills to get it to actually chamber a round it was hung on.

Despite it's pickiness on ammo, I still do love this setup. Just wish it would feed anything I put into it, to promote it to above a simple range firearm.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 6:37:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 10:16:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Hollow points do not work well in the Roller lock style guns they work best with round nose ammo
View Quote
This is what I've heard before but I've also heard tale of a mod that can be done that will make it work with practically anything.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 10:31:01 AM EDT
[#6]
I have been lucky. I use lawman 147 flat nose and 147 hst hollowpoints with no problems in my Z5-P. Only mod is the 28 locking piece as the bolt was smacking the buffer with these loads. I run 90% suppressed and it is SBR. Close to 2k rounds now. Have not had a malfunction after the first couple hundred rounds break in.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 11:01:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have been lucky. I use lawman 147 flat nose and 147 hst hollowpoints with no problems in my Z5-P. Only mod is the 28 locking piece as the bolt was smacking the buffer with these loads. I run 90% suppressed and it is SBR. Close to 2k rounds now. Have not had a malfunction after the first couple hundred rounds break in.
View Quote
I am hoping for a similar results with mine.  From here on out, 100% suppressed with #28, and 147gr ammo that is not fully round.  I am tempted to shoot the PPU 158gr at some point.

So far I have 2 Zenith mags with zero malfunctions with the worst case AE 147 flat nose, which was the shorter of the rounds in my picture.  I have since switched to Lawman 147s.  BUT I have not loaded them to more than 20 rounds at a time in the Zenith mags.

My 3rd Zenith mag is new with few rounds tried out, no issues.  My KCI mags with German springs/followers are wacky... first time out I loaded 2 rounds and fired 2, no problem.  Then I loaded 30 and fired 29 and then click.  The last round seemed loose in the chamber when I locked the bolt back.  I am hoping this is break-in for these mags.

My German 15rd was a used purchase and ran the AE 147gr just fine starting with 10rds.  Only issue was with the Rangers 147s and full load.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 6:00:22 PM EDT
[#8]
My ZP5 adn SP5K both eat hollow points without issue.   I have run critical duty, gold dots, and golden saber with both MKE and HK German mags.  Neither have given me problems.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 7:08:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
My ZP5 adn SP5K both eat hollow points without issue.   I have run critical duty, gold dots, and golden saber with both MKE and HK German mags.  Neither have given me problems.
View Quote
Ever put any of the Winchester Ranger hollow points through it?

Starting to wonder if I'll have better success with another brand.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 9:40:44 PM EDT
[#10]
I had some issues with mine and HST's (only HP I run) but I bought 3 HK German mags for it and so far it's fed the HST fine with those German mags. 

eta 124's are running fine, it still didn't really like 147's, though they ran better than they did in the stock mags.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 6:10:52 AM EDT
[#11]
I've had perfect reliability in my mp5 and sp5k with hst 147's.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 6:02:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Ever put any of the Winchester Ranger hollow points through it?

Starting to wonder if I'll have better success with another brand.
View Quote
I have not tried the Ranger's.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 8:20:30 AM EDT
[#13]
The only one I've had consistent issues with in my MP5 clones is American Eagle 147 grain. It has a very short, flat projectile that doesn't lend itself well to being guided into the chamber like longer, more pointed projectiles. Other than that, no issues with any 147 grain or hollowpoint ammo.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 9:57:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Been running 17 new MP5PDW's since November 2016.  Winchester hollow points only work about 70% of the time.  We had some left over from a few years back that we were trying to get rid of.  Our standard duty ammunition is the G2 147 grain hollow point and all of the guns run perfect with it in both modes of fire.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 8:20:23 PM EDT
[#15]
ive run 124gr +P gold dot, 124gr+p golden saber, 147 gr+p HST, and cheap 115gr PMC JHP. No issues on my z5p or z5rs, or even my evo scorpion. I don't want to run a steady diet of JHP since it gets $$
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top