Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/28/2017 10:02:00 PM EDT
I'm thinking about picking up a PTR 91 but I'm torn about the top rail. On one hand I like to keep my options open, but on another, I'm a history buff and mil-surp guy at heart and I think the rail looks goofy.

Is it something that I should just suck up and deal with or are there other low profile mounting options for optics that are worth having?
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 10:05:58 PM EDT
[#1]
The welded on rail is the best from a practical standpoint: no movement possible.

Historically, the claw mount is ok, but its not as stable. They can and do shift.

Rail options include B&T and MFI mounts, they tend to be more stable than the claw mounts in my experice.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 10:34:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks I kind of like that MFI option.

I may go that route.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 9:25:03 PM EDT
[#3]
My railed GI model is fantastic. It simply never jams. Ever. It never even thinks about jamming. A little rough on the ergonomics, but really a fantastic rifle.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 9:46:30 PM EDT
[#4]
On an HK clone, what would be wrong with a welded on mount like on a PTR-A3R or something ?  Those clamp on mounts add cost, are less secure, bulkier, and usually offer too high of a cheek weld.  I have a PTR-A3R and the reason I bought it was because of the rail so I could mount an optic or red dot securely.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 8:24:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Is it something that I should just suck up and deal with or are there other low profile mounting options for optics that are worth having?
View Quote

welded is best
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 9:04:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 9:05:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 2:52:25 AM EDT
[#8]
I bought a non railed one specifically because I prefer the classic esthetics. The railed ones are much more practical.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 1:01:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I bought a non railed one specifically because I prefer the classic esthetics. The railed ones are much more practical.
View Quote

That's what I was thinking, I like the classics.

I do plan to hunt with it on occasion, but I hunt with an M1 now, so it's a moot point.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 1:49:10 PM EDT
[#10]
In addition to the other practical reasons like ease of securely mounting many different scopes with good cheek weld an added bonus is the extra strength added to the sheet metal receiver by having the welded rail.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 5:13:53 PM EDT
[#11]
If you are a true history buff and the top rail bothers you, then suck it up and buy a real HK 91. They're available and run about $2,800. For me, I had an HK 91 back in the 90's and didn't really like it that much. I recently purchased a PTR 91 partly out of nostalgia and partly because they fixed the HK 91 by adding that rail on the top that you hate so much. I always hated the fact that if you wanted a scope or a weapon sight (besides irons) you had to pay $300 for a HK claw mount. I actually prefer this PTR 91 to my old HK 91. It has less recoil than that HK 91 and looks almost like a clone of that HK 91, except for the rails and metal hand guard (which I also like better than the old HK 91 handguards).
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 5:39:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They're available and run about $2,800.
View Quote

That sounds a bit on the high side, but depends on extras. $2100-2500 is about market value that I am seeing currently.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 10:55:00 PM EDT
[#13]
On my German HK 91 and my PTR clones I have never had a claw mound slide or shift. It does need to fit properly and the German claw mount fits both the German and PTR clone like a glove.
I like the rail less version because you take the claw mount off and its smooth...... I let my Hensoldt scope go with the German 91 when I sold it long ago and picket up a claw mount with rail. Added a Vortex 1~4 illuminated optic and its a nice rig.

The factory rail will save you some cost putting optics on it but its personal preference, both work well.

Link Posted: 3/7/2017 5:39:56 PM EDT
[#14]
I was on the same boat as you OP. But I got the GI R and don't regret it. It's minimalist and out of the way if you choose not to use an optic. But there is always that relief feeling when I just rather use my red dot and toss it up on the PTR91 and I'm glad I got it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 9:32:17 AM EDT
[#15]
I bought the railed model from Atlantic recently, I freaking love it. Looking to put a 1x6 or something similar on it. Very nice build quality.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 3:29:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Yes you can juuuuuuust get a cowitness with a holosun micro dot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top