Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/15/2016 12:50:52 AM EDT

I've got a few pmags, lancers, and USGIs from D&H and Brownells.

I've handled a couple 416 magazines in the past, but never really put them through their paces.

Can anyone give me some insight as to whether or not they're "worth it" over the more mainstream magazines on the market?

Do they give you an appreciable gain in performance on a typical AR15?

Other than the steel body, what really sets them apart from other mags to make them command $50-80?

Are they "better" across-the-board when compared to pmags/lancers/USGIs?

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 3:26:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Because they are HK the price is high.

Link Posted: 5/15/2016 4:08:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Several friends of mine got them years ago when they were new. The springs failed within 6 months of regular use and they are proprietary and cost prohibitive to replace. I would suggest going with the new Lancers or Magpul Gen3 PMAGS.
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 4:28:18 AM EDT
[#3]
South Korean copies are available for around $15 and are identical in every aspect of construction except for the spring, which s not shiny chrome silicon but rather, is longer, stronger and evidently more reliable and has a black finish.

They are sturdy.

Link Posted: 5/15/2016 5:09:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 6:35:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Heavy, overpriced, does nothing USGI mags can't do.
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 8:38:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Since getting the Tavor, my generations of pmags don't drop free in it, or the scar 16s I have.  

The new lancers are good to go in everything with steel feed lips as well.  That's what I'm going with across the board for AR mags.  

Link Posted: 5/15/2016 9:43:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Wow.  That's honestly not the reply I was expecting.

Thanks everyone, you probably just saved me a lot of money.
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 1:25:53 PM EDT
[#8]
I have had them for years. They work fine on both S/A and F/A.

If you are looking to no frills mags that work, just get some USGI contract mags. I still have 70s era contract mags that work 100%.

Premium mags are not worth the price unless there is some specific feature you cannot live with out (windows, plates, etc).
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 3:21:08 PM EDT
[#9]
They are heavy and overly priced. There are better alternatives out there.
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 4:51:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 5:07:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Overprices, heavy, and the earlier ones have weak magazine springs.

Would not operate with.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 2:50:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

I have a bunch of these I picked up last year, not huge amount of use on them yet, but so far they've been working pretty well.

Won't fit an ARX-100 or FS2000 but had good experiences with everything else.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 11:19:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Cdnn has the metal one for $30 brand new.

They are tough, a bit heavier, but whatever. I beleive these were the first to have an anti-tilt follower.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 11:40:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 7:27:26 PM EDT
[#15]

How do the polys stack up to Lancer's L5AWM mags?
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 7:43:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Heavy, overpriced, does nothing USGI mags can't do.
View Quote

Exactly this.  NOT worth it.  
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 8:49:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Translucent polymer is not temperature stable. Magpul tried using it and if you put the PMAG on your dash in the summer it'd start spitting out rounds. Also the HK417 mags made from the same material are huge to compensate for the material strength and my friend still had his mags develop small fractures when he left them loaded for a few months.

The reason lancer mags have metal feedlips is so they can use translucent plastics and still have a reliable magazine.

I love HK but I'd stick with Lancer and Magpul for M16 pattern mags.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 9:34:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Translucent polymer is not temperature stable. Magpul tried using it and if you put the PMAG on your dash in the summer it'd start spitting out rounds. Also the HK417 mags made from the same material are huge to compensate for the material strength and my friend still had his mags develop small fractures when he left them loaded for a few months.

The reason lancer mags have metal feedlips is so they can use translucent plastics and still have a reliable magazine.

I love HK but I'd stick with Lancer and Magpul for M16 pattern mags.
View Quote

Interesting.  Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 10:10:36 PM EDT
[#19]
The HK mags will flawlessly feed an M249.  The are dent sensitive.  My ODA ditched them in 2009 and never looked back.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top