User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 11:11:04 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I don't know yet.  A coworker has an MP5 host with sear, so I have the opportunity to try, just need to get it done.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

So will a HK sear work in the clones?

I don't know yet.  A coworker has an MP5 host with sear, so I have the opportunity to try, just need to get it done.

You can't take a sear in a pack set up for a 9mm MP-5 and just pop it in a HK-91 as there are a few parts in the pack that are different.

Link Posted: 5/7/2016 8:10:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

You can't take a sear in a pack set up for a 9mm MP-5 and just pop it in a HK-91 as there are a few parts in the pack that are different.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So will a HK sear work in the clones?

I figured that was the case, I'm just hoping the parts will drop in.  The guy who has the sear is looking for a .308 host (HK51?), maybe that will help my situation.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 7:23:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Picked it up from my FFL today, pics and a range report to follow when my range re-opens later this week. Of course it's down for maintenance at the moment

Initial impression: Still haven't wiped the shit eating grin off my face, I've wanted one of these since I saw Arnold with it in Commando Going to break it down and give it a thorough cleaning tonight.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 7:24:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Picked it up from my FFL today, pics and a range report to follow when my range re-opens later this week. Of course it's down for maintenance at the moment

Initial impression: Still haven't wiped the shit eating grin off my face Going to break it down and give it a thorough cleaning tonight.
View Quote

Congrats.  
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 11:59:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Not to knock the PTR91 but some severe problems were reported with the rifle last year. AFAIK, PTR originally used HK bolts in heir rifles but changed to a cost cutting move by making these themselves. The heat treating on those bolts was defective and the bolt faces were being quickly worn and electors were being damaged. The problem was apparently that the bolts were not properly heat treated and were distorting from use. The problem has probably been corrected by now but you can avoid this by purchasing the Century C308 rifle that uses the same barrel and receivers but with all new surplus mil spec parts,including the bolt.  
While some Century products in the past were of questionable quality they seem to have greatly improved their process as my C308 rifle is reliable and highly accurate.   Point is that the PTR rifles are not without issues either. Do a search online and read the reports
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 1:10:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Not to knock the PTR91 but some severe problems were reported with the rifle last year. AFAIK, PTR originally used HK bolts in heir rifles but changed to a cost cutting move by making these themselves. The heat treating on those bolts was defective and the bolt faces were being quickly worn and electors were being damaged. The problem was apparently that the bolts were not properly heat treated and were distorting from use. The problem has probably been corrected by now but you can avoid this by purchasing the Century C308 rifle that uses the same barrel and receivers but with all new surplus mil spec parts,including the bolt.  
While some Century products in the past were of questionable quality they seem to have greatly improved their process as my C308 rifle is reliable and highly accurate.   Point is that the PTR rifles are not without issues either. Do a search online and read the reports
View Quote

Wow, I've never heard of anyone saying "go with a c308 instead".   I thought Century arms was the bane of the roller lock world.  I handled a few the other day at my lgs and was not impressed when compared to my PTR.  I've heard few negative things about them as well that I won't repeat since it's third degree hearsay at this point.

On a serious note I want to point out that the rear sight on the century models are vastly inferior to the drum sights on the PTRs, HKs, etc...  That alone would cause me to stay away.  I bought a PTR91 on an impulse one day.  I had recently divested myself of all AR15s and .223 caliber rifles.  I had no semi auto rifles at the time when I walked into a store and saw the PTR.  I'd always wanted a roller lock and they price matched atlantic arms.  Needless to say that PTR is still the baddest mofo in the safe.  First 3 gun match I took it to I was ringing steel at 400 yards with the drum sight.  It just eats everything you put in it too.  Recoil is amazingly manageable.  It feels solid in your hands, no wobble or slop.  Its a big mans firearm.  As for the 6k barrel life, that's a little hard to believe.  308 isn't even anywhere near the hottest cartridge around I don't expect that kind of life.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 2:07:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Mine was manufactured 4/29.

And, even if a problem arose, I feel 100% better having PTR customer service to talk to rather than Century. All PTR does is roller lock weapons. For Century, their C308 is just another parts gun in a product line of parts guns. I plan to put at least 250 rounds through it at first range session so we'll see how it goes. They recommend 3-500 for a full break in.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 3:41:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've said it before, but I really don't think the barrels are the same. Look at the two rifles. It is definitely not profiled the same (CETMEs usually have a heavier profile) and I there is no definitive proof that they come from the same blanks.

The bolt issue did not crop up last year. If you search around, most of those rifles came from the 2011/2012 timeframe. I'm not saying they didn't have a bad batch, but it isn't a problem I've seen recently.

Link Posted: 5/18/2016 4:38:27 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a PTR91 A3R that I got right after Christmas of this year. See here for pics:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_9/461630_Pics_of_my_PTR91_A3R_With_Paddles_and_Rail.html

This is a great rifle. The fit and finish on it is excellent. The paint is even and smooth (its powder coated over parkerizing). I love the plastic 1980s style wide handguards. Always fires and eats anything you put into it. It throws the brass to the moon so people may complain depending where you shoot. Beyond that its great. Some may not like the rail but it sure makes mounting optics easy :) - otherwise you have to buy the HK clamp which will mar the finish on the rifle. If you dont care about that, no big deal. I have had no problems with mine.

All these gyrations about the barrel IMO is unwarranted. You may never see these Zenith/MKE rifles in the US. I dont understand how they can bring them in as there is all kinds of import restrictions about assault style rifles + all kinds of other nonsense (they are restricting the importation of barrels and other parts as well).

Have to say the first time I pulled it out at the range, people were like ooh la la - what is that? Most people have never seen a roller locked rifle in the flesh.

I am in the process of doing the metal lower. I have 2 actually - one is clipped and pinned, the other is just clipped. Both required minor adjustments as these lowers were modified came off of G3s. Other than some filing around the pins in the back, they are drop in. Trigger pack from the plastic goes right into the metal with no mods. You do have to replace the safety lever as the one for the plastic lower is longer. I am going to use high engine paint and than bake it.

For the price you cant beat it.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 2:02:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have a PTR91 A3R that I got right after Christmas of this year. See here for pics:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_9/461630_Pics_of_my_PTR91_A3R_With_Paddles_and_Rail.html

This is a great rifle. The fit and finish on it is excellent. The paint is even and smooth (its powder coated over parkerizing). I love the plastic 1980s style wide handguards. Always fires and eats anything you put into it. It throws the brass to the moon so people may complain depending where you shoot. Beyond that its great. Some may not like the rail but it sure makes mounting optics easy :) - otherwise you have to buy the HK clamp which will mar the finish on the rifle. If you dont care about that, no big deal. I have had no problems with mine.

All these gyrations about the barrel IMO is unwarranted. You may never see these Zenith/MKE rifles in the US. I dont understand how they can bring them in as there is all kinds of import restrictions about assault style rifles + all kinds of other nonsense (they are restricting the importation of barrels and other parts as well).

Have to say the first time I pulled it out at the range, people were like ooh la la - what is that? Most people have never seen a roller locked rifle in the flesh.

I am in the process of doing the metal lower. I have 2 actually - one is clipped and pinned, the other is just clipped. Both required minor adjustments as these lowers were modified came off of G3s. Other than some filing around the pins in the back, they are drop in. Trigger pack from the plastic goes right into the metal with no mods. You do have to replace the safety lever as the one for the plastic lower is longer. I am going to use high engine paint and than bake it.

For the price you cant beat it.
View Quote

Appreciate the feedback. Unfortunately my range is STILL closed. Not sure when I'll be able to finally shoot this thing It's been two weeks now.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 11:20:58 PM EDT
[#11]
I've always wanted a 91 as well, so I placed an order for a ptr 91 gi today :)
I'm stoked waiting for it to come in.

Now I just gotta find a good 9mm mp5 clone.. ordered the walther/hk .22 today as well, but really want 9mm
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 8:29:53 PM EDT
[#12]
200 rounds through the PTR 91 today, exclusively Tula. I had a handful of double feeds, but I can't diagnose the rifle or the mag as I only have one mag. I"m fairly sure it was the mag, but I also ran the rifle dry so that could very well have been a factor. I'll try to get back out this weekend and shoot another 200 with it lubed to see if it persists.

I must say all the reviews that say they kick like a mule are it's a slow firm push, and very controllable. Double taps had me grinning from ear to ear.  I do need to get a wide forearm though, the slim one heats up after 30-40 rounds. Might as well snag a bipod from RTG while I'm at it.

I think this one would be fun to take to a class
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 9:37:07 PM EDT
[#13]
There is no excuse not to have a ton of magazines for this platform.  That's one of its biggest strengths: super cheap magazines.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 9:54:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
There is no excuse not to have a ton of magazines for this platform.  That's one of its biggest strengths: super cheap magazines.
View Quote

Is CTD still the cheapest? Saw RTG had them when I picked up the bipod and wide forearm but I'm not paying $9 for a G3 mag.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 10:31:13 PM EDT
[#15]
CTD for under $3 each:  Link

Brownells for just under $4 each.

I'm sure others may know of other places that sell them at a similar or better price.  I used to buy them when they were under $1 each before I even had an HK91.

Link Posted: 6/3/2016 2:01:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
200 rounds through the PTR 91 today, exclusively Tula. I had a handful of double feeds, but I can't diagnose the rifle or the mag as I only have one mag. I"m fairly sure it was the mag, but I also ran the rifle dry so that could very well have been a factor. I'll try to get back out this weekend and shoot another 200 with it lubed to see if it persists.

I must say all the reviews that say they kick like a mule are it's a slow firm push, and very controllable. Double taps had me grinning from ear to ear.  I do need to get a wide forearm though, the slim one heats up after 30-40 rounds. Might as well snag a bipod from RTG while I'm at it.

View Quote

G3's like lube. I grease mine with Magnalube. Also, a couple of misfeeds during the first couple of hundred rounds is no big deal. Most machines need a break-in period. I paid $2.95 a mag a couple months ago from Cheaper Than Dirt. Once was cracked, which was replaced without hesitation on their part. Recoil is distinctive and certainly present, and, while it's nowhere near as gentle as an FAL, it does not rate "kick like a mule" status.
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 3:44:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

G3's like lube. I grease mine with Magnalube. Also, a couple of misfeeds during the first couple of hundred rounds is no big deal. Most machines need a break-in period. I paid $2.95 a mag a couple months ago from Cheaper Than Dirt. Once was cracked, which was replaced without hesitation on their part. Recoil is distinctive and certainly present, and, while it's nowhere near as gentle as an FAL, it does not rate "kick like a mule" status.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

10 mags on the way from CTD.

Good tip on the lube, I'll give it a try. All the doubles were on the second string of 100 rounds for what it's worth. Between the rifle being new, not being lubed, and being dirty (that Tula is nasty) I'm not concerned.
Link Posted: 6/4/2016 5:19:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Is CTD still the cheapest? Saw RTG had them when I picked up the bipod and wide forearm but I'm not paying $9 for a G3 mag.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Clearview Investments has the best deal going on mags.   Brand new for $4 each.
Link Posted: 6/4/2016 5:21:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 12:59:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Not getting our PTR-91 until late next month but already have 11 mags

I never had this many mags for a rifle I don't even own yet...

Show me more pics of your PTRs to help me through the next few weeks, please.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 1:04:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Not getting our PTR-91 until late next month but already have 11 mags

I never had this many mags for a rifle I don't even own yet...

Show me more pics of your PTRs to help me through the next few weeks, please.
View Quote

I left one in the wash too long and it shrank.

Link Posted: 6/8/2016 4:22:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 2:56:16 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Yes, it's worth the extra $500.00, because it's going to cost you a lot more than that buying a new barrel, and having someone replace it when it wears out after 6K rounds.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wait for the Z-41. Cold hammer forged, polygonal, nitride treated barrel. No comparison in longevity VS the PTR's.

Is it really worth $500 more though? That buys a decent chunk of ammo.

ETA: Not to mention the Zenith rail is a clamp-on, vs. the welded-on rail of the PTR.

Yes, it's worth the extra $500.00, because it's going to cost you a lot more than that buying a new barrel, and having someone replace it when it wears out after 6K rounds.

You should stop posting in a technical forum without any technical knowledge. The barrels JLD used and the current PTR barrels are sooo far apart spec wise. Original JLD barrels WERE roughly 6K, and when PTR took over they had ALOT of left over JLD barrels. However 10 year old info is still 10 years old. New barrels are good to go, even in full auto (within reason)

Link Posted: 6/23/2016 10:41:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

You should stop posting in a technical forum without any technical knowledge. The barrels JLD used and the current PTR barrels are sooo far apart spec wise. Original JLD barrels WERE roughly 6K, and when PTR took over they had ALOT of left over JLD barrels. However 10 year old info is still 10 years old. New barrels are good to go, even in full auto (within reason)

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wait for the Z-41. Cold hammer forged, polygonal, nitride treated barrel. No comparison in longevity VS the PTR's.

Is it really worth $500 more though? That buys a decent chunk of ammo.

ETA: Not to mention the Zenith rail is a clamp-on, vs. the welded-on rail of the PTR.

No, they really aren't, and I explained why. The new barrels are no different than the old ones. Same method, same material. Same 6K round life.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 12:20:34 AM EDT
[#25]

Be careful how long you leave it in the wash:

Link Posted: 6/24/2016 1:04:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Appreciate all the input/discussion. Going to give PTR a call tomorrow
View Quote

I'd order from Atlantic personally.  They're the same price, have awesome customer service, and contribute a lot here on ARFCOM.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 9:32:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I'd order from Atlantic personally.  They're the same price, have awesome customer service, and contribute a lot here on ARFCOM.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When I ordered mine a few months ago Atlantic was only carrying the rail models, otherwise they would have been my go to.

I've been looking for reasons to purchase from them for a while, but I didn't know they were going to start carrying the non-rail models. I assume you grabbed a non rail GI from them based on the other thread?

Link Posted: 7/9/2016 5:34:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Even if they only last 6k rounds, that's ~$3000 in ammunition. If you can afford that, you can afford to buy a new rifle.

Besides, who really puts that much through a single rifle without owning multiples? If you're shooting that much, you probably have a collection.

My solution was to just buy a spare PTR
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 10:19:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 12:00:46 AM EDT
[#30]
Call PTR and ask for Bill. I ordered a PTR100 (GI, metal lower,paddle, no rail) this last Tuesday, I could not have had a better experience over the phone. He said they were about 2 weeks out give or take, I paid $899 with shipping. Bill said he would also contact my FFL and take care of all paperwork, can't beat that.

Good people!

Rog.

ETA: Atlantic Firearms is also great people. Happy shopping!
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 5:00:46 PM EDT
[#31]

Just looked at Atlantic's site due to a discussion on another Forum and it looks like they are currently Out Of Stock on pretty much all models.

Link Posted: 7/10/2016 5:27:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Specifically the GI. I want the classic G3 look, no rail, but paddle release.

http://www.ptr91.com/products/PTR%20G.I.?id=23

It will be fed almost purely steel case.

Any reason not to fo? It will be my first .308.
View Quote

I loved my PTR...Wish I still had it.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 3:44:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

When I ordered mine a few months ago Atlantic was only carrying the rail models, otherwise they would have been my go to.

I've been looking for reasons to purchase from them for a while, but I didn't know they were going to start carrying the non-rail models. I assume you grabbed a non rail GI from them based on the other thread?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had to go to PTR directly for a non-railed version. No problems, as the folks there were easy to deal with.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 8:12:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Call PTR and ask for Bill. I ordered a PTR100 (GI, metal lower,paddle, no rail) this last Tuesday, I could not have had a better experience over the phone. He said they were about 2 weeks out give or take, I paid $899 with shipping. Bill said he would also contact my FFL and take care of all paperwork, can't beat that.

Good people!

Rog.

ETA: Atlantic Firearms is also great people. Happy shopping!
View Quote

Bill also helped me with my purchase. Too easy.

As stated a few posts up though, Atlantic has the better price - and while I haven't had the pleasure of dealing with them everything I see on Arf points towards excellent customer service as well. Just in case someone reading is about to pull the trigger on one. Save a few bucks and put it towards some mags.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 9:53:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Save a few bucks and buy a lot of mags, they're like $3.

Link Posted: 7/14/2016 11:56:47 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Save a few bucks and buy a lot of mags, they're like $3.

View Quote

Just don't buy them from Midway. I ordered 10 a month or so ago and they came in a plastic bag shoved into a box so they could rattle and beat on each other in transit. The mags themselves were rusty inside and outside and full of corrosion. They were useless. I sent them back.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top