Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/29/2015 10:47:54 PM EDT
I owned a Century clone years ago and foolishly sold it.  It was flawless and I abused the crap out of it.  I'm wanting another clone and the PTR-91 seems to be a great way to go these days.  kept all the magazines from before so I'd be all set there.. My main concern is affording to feed it.  I have an M1A already so I've got .308, but I don't shoot cheap stuff through that.. Would a PTR eat that steel cased crap without complaining?  I see several good options like Silver Bear and Wolf.  I swear I've read of it working just fine but can't find sources now.  Would be a lot cheaper and be nice to not worry about the empties since they get ejected into the next timezone.  
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 11:46:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I owned a Century clone years ago and foolishly sold it.  It was flawless and I abused the crap out of it.  I'm wanting another clone and the PTR-91 seems to be a great way to go these days.  kept all the magazines from before so I'd be all set there.. My main concern is affording to feed it.  I have an M1A already so I've got .308, but I don't shoot cheap stuff through that.. Would a PTR eat that steel cased crap without complaining?  I see several good options like Silver Bear and Wolf.  I swear I've read of it working just fine but can't find sources now.  Would be a lot cheaper and be nice to not worry about the empties since they get ejected into the next timezone.  
View Quote

Steel case should run just fine. I don't have any problems with it, but I don't run it much with brass cased ZQI being so cheap these days. Get a port buffer to calm down the ejection distance and reduce the denting if you want to run brass http://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/POF-HK91-PORT-BUFFER-NEW-181p2172.htm
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 12:16:55 AM EDT
[#2]
I just purchased a PTR91 A3S a couple weeks ago.  I kind of bought it because I already had 50 magazines I bought years ago for $1 each and I've missed my Century Cetme for whatever reason.  Anyway, I only have about 200 rds of Tula thru it and haven't had a problem so far.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 12:53:46 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a PTR-91 Classic and have had no problems running Tula.  As far as reloading is concerned, I've also ran a good bit of brass and would have no problems reloading the brass I've been able to recover.  The few dents I've found on recovered brass were no worse than those I sometimes found on brass from the M1a I had in the early '90s (let it get away from me in a fit of utter stupidity).  The marks from the chamber flutes are cosmetic; I can see them, but I cannot feel them.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 3:03:04 AM EDT
[#4]
I run wolf, Tula, or brass zqi through mine and have never had a failure of any kind. 2014 PTR 91 A3R.

The new ones have a paddle mag release and AR10 threads. I'll probably buy one or two more, I really like mine. Only thing I'd like to do is put a trigger in it closer to an AR.

I had a Cetme right after the ban ended and it shot just fine. I'm half tempted to buy a C308, which is Century's new Cetme. It's got the rail on it like the PTR 91 A3R, but when it's only $200-$300 less than a brand new A3R...I'm leaning towards just buying another PTR.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 5:16:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 7:42:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 9:33:56 AM EDT
[#7]
I've run lots of steel case through my PTR-91 without any issues
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:06:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for all the good info. Atlantic Firearms - that is the exact model I'm eyeing... You just may get an order for one soon.  
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 11:41:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We run steel cased WOLF ammo through our PTR range guns all the time .

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/images/stories/virtuemart/product/ptra3r%20(4%20of%2019).jpg

View Quote

Any idea on when you will be getting the GI models with no rail back in stock?
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 1:21:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We run steel cased WOLF ammo through our PTR range guns all the time .

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/images/stories/virtuemart/product/ptra3r%20(4%20of%2019).jpg

Budsguns has one
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 12:40:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Budsguns has one
View Quote

Thanks for the heads up. Now I don't know if I want that or wait for the units with the paddle mag release already installed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top