Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/28/2015 7:09:33 PM EDT
found a local dealer with 5 hk91. out of the 5 one was never fired. he wants 3000.00 is that to much? what signs should i look for? i never had a rifle like this but i sold my scar to fund one. Is this a good all around rifle to have?
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 7:29:16 PM EDT
[#1]
The easiest way is to shove your finger into the trunion. If it comes out black, it's been fired. Or you can take apart the gun and look at the bolt head and carrier assembly.

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 8:13:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Just a thought are you wanting it for collector value or to just shoot. If just to shoot check out a ptr 91 a lot less money and you could buy more stuff. If for pure collector value the hk would be the way to go. Ptr built me a custom rifle they are good people. John
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 8:13:23 PM EDT
[#3]
The HK's are more collector's guns then shooters at this point and prices...buy a HK for the collector value and PTR for shooting.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 12:45:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
found a local dealer with 5 hk91. out of the 5 one was never fired. he wants 3000.00 is that to much?
View Quote

I paid that much for a never fired HK-91 earlier this year.  Mine did not come with the Styrofoam box or factory accessories.  

This thread from HKPro may interest you... Are HK 91 prices dropping?
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 11:13:30 AM EDT
[#5]
I just picked up an HK91, easy 95% condition from a member over at HK pro for $2200 dated 1981 and the blue /grey color is just awesome.

Good Luck and take your time, they are out there
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 10:44:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I paid that much for a never fired HK-91 earlier this year.  Mine did not come with the Styrofoam box or factory accessories.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
found a local dealer with 5 hk91. out of the 5 one was never fired. he wants 3000.00 is that to much?

I've been saying this for a while but people still seem to insist that a beat HK-91 with +4 rollers installed just to get a proper bolt gap is worth $2500+...
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 1:23:41 PM EDT
[#7]
If it's truly unfired you can look for certain things.
1.  Take apart the bolt carrier and look for powder marks.
2.  Look inside the receiver for wear marks.  An unfired receiver will not have any marks on the inside of the receiver from wear.
3.  Look at the cocking lever, it should have little to no wear where it rides in the cocking lever tube.
4.  Look at the "piston" on the cocking lever, should not have much if any marks on it.
5.  Look at the takedown contact areas.  There should not be any scratches on the selector lever.
6.  Look at the buttstock cap, should have little to no wear on the finish where it slips over the back of the receiver.

Take a patch with oil/solvent and rub it in the receiver and in/around the trunnion.  Any powder residue that doesn't look like 10 rounds worth is not new.  They used to ship with a 3 round test target.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top