Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/23/2015 10:18:49 AM EDT
I have a mountain of G3 magazines and having been looking at G3K pictures lately for my next project.  The MKE Z-41 rifles Zenith is bringing in have a shorter than standard barrel to begin with, so they would be a great candidate for a G3K-esque (HP91K) clone.  I was just going to cut the barrel back and permanently attach a flash hider to bring it up to 16.1".  I know that's not a true K, but its close enough for me.  And I can use that B+T fore end I picked up

Has anyone laid hands on the MKE HK91 clone?  Coming stock with a paddle magazine release is a huge plus for me.  Not having to give PTR my money is also (I got burned by the shitty barrel fluting debacle)

Apparently to make the 10 round magazines proprietary and G3 magazines not work, a piece of bar stock is tacked in the mag well.  You can see how the magazines have clearance for it. Easy enough to mill out.  Add a little 922r magic....and a 91K clone.  

Any reason not to go with a MKE? So people are less than impressed by finish.

An EBO Springfield import was going to be my second choice.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 5:36:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't think any have been released for sale yet.
Atlantic doesn't have any, and I haven't seen any on Gunbroker.
I can see it going either way though.
The ATI MKE imports had some butchery going on with the rifles in order to get them importable, and it remains to be seen how Zenith is going to do it.
But if done OK, push pin lower, paddle already installed....I may pick one up also, if for no other reason than to have a Turkish G3 to add to the German, Portuguese, British, and Greek ones.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 12:09:05 AM EDT
[#2]
If you want a k clone, I'd look at any of the PTRs/clones with the HK93 forend.

The smaller forend gives it a lighter feel, and there's no reason to spend the $200+ to get the barrel shortened and then extended. Plus you won't loose the muzzle velocity/increased flash associated with the 12.5" barrel. Though the draw is strong for me on a G3k as well, my 33k clone SBR is my favorite rifle, I'd imagine a 7.62x51 would rip.

And like was stated above, nobody really knows how the MKE guns will come in and their 922 requirements. The last group of 93 clones were a real screw story to make them "93 clones" I'd imagine the 91 clones will be as well.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 7:06:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 10:15:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you want a k clone, I'd look at any of the PTRs/clones with the HK93 forend.

The smaller forend gives it a lighter feel, and there's no reason to spend the $200+ to get the barrel shortened and then extended. Plus you won't loose the muzzle velocity/increased flash associated with the 12.5" barrel. Though the draw is strong for me on a G3k as well, my 33k clone SBR is my favorite rifle, I'd imagine a 7.62x51 would rip.

And like was stated above, nobody really knows how the MKE guns will come in and their 922 requirements. The last group of 93 clones were a real screw story to make them "93 clones" I'd imagine the 91 clones will be as well.
View Quote

I'm looking at alternatives to the PTR offerings.  Specifically an 91K donor so I can use a B+T foreend I already have. True G3Ks do feel lighter, I agree.

There's a fun factor for me with short barrel rifles and the central Illinois/Indiana doesn't have many rifle ranges past 200 yards I can access.  "Long range shooting" (300 yards plus in Illinois ) is theoretical for a lot of us because there aren't many natural backstops or alternatives to private ranges.  You can always drive to Chillicothe, but driving a few hours to shoot rifles kills the fun factor for me.  

0-100 yards is another story though!

Link Posted: 7/24/2015 12:14:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Ah, missed the part about the B&T forend you already have.

Reading is fundamental

It should be interesting to get another player in the G3 clone wars.

Hopefully they just lightly tac weld in the blocking bars in the magwell. Kind of like they did on the mp5 clones. One of the bars fell out on my buddies first range outing, the other came out with very little effort, dremmel to clean up the edges.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 11:12:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have a mountain of G3 magazines and having been looking at G3K pictures lately for my next project.  The MKE Z-41 rifles Zenith is bringing in have a shorter than standard barrel to begin with, so they would be a great candidate for a G3K-esque (HP91K) clone.  I was just going to cut the barrel back and permanently attach a flash hider to bring it up to 16.1".  I know that's not a true K, but its close enough for me.  And I can use that B+T fore end I picked up

Has anyone laid hands on the MKE HK91 clone?  Coming stock with a paddle magazine release is a huge plus for me.  Not having to give PTR my money is also (I got burned by the shitty barrel fluting debacle)

Apparently to make the 10 round magazines proprietary and G3 magazines not work, a piece of bar stock is tacked in the mag well.  You can see how the magazines have clearance for it. Easy enough to mill out.  Add a little 922r magic....and a 91K clone.  

View Quote

I don't think the V41 will have a shorter barrel.  The pics on the website show a shorter barrel but if you review the ShotShow vids they are the standard length.  For me this is a good thing.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 8:30:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I don't think the V41 will have a shorter barrel.  The pics on the website show a shorter barrel but if you review the ShotShow vids they are the standard length.  For me this is a good thing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree with you they should import the original 450mm/17.7" barrel. I've only seen 16.5" barrels advertised like at Atlantic Firearms. It's still not in stock and they're using a stock photo, so I hope you're right. That would mean a rifle with a proper barrel and chamber, paddle release, and welded on rail for $1500. A PTR+'smithing+parts+refinish+shipping would be in the same ballpark.

Big difference between clone and licensed copy to me.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 3:08:46 PM EDT
[#8]
what kind of barrels are on these? CHF? CL? Nitrided?
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 5:10:55 PM EDT
[#9]
FYI - There is a Greek SAR8 for sale in the Rifles section of the EE that has had the G3K work done your looking for and extras...... Looks Nice!

Too bad we cant buy them in Md or I would be all over it
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 11:19:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I agree with you they should import the original 450mm/17.7" barrel. I've only seen 16.5" barrels advertised like at Atlantic Firearms.
View Quote

I agree. A full stock HK91 variant should have a traditional 18" barrel.
I would be OK with a collapsible stock 91 variant having a shorter 16" barrel.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:15:57 PM EDT
[#11]
I think 14.5" pinned to 16 is a great idea. Out of the two listed I would go with ebo. Ptr's fluting issue has been resolved and I haven't heard any complaints in a long while. I think they make the best clone and it's u.s. built.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 2:33:02 PM EDT
[#12]

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top