Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2015 2:38:08 PM EDT
Im kicking around the idea of getting together a MP5K for next year.

The whole goal of it is to have a shoulder fired weapon I can mount my Tirant 45 can to and be pretty quiet.

I don't know a whole lot about HK and their clones outside of a C93 rifle I own.

I see there are a bunch of different manufactures building them as well as different receiver sizes to accommodate either a true K stock or a standard MP5 stock not to mention those who have flush muzzles or 3lug/threaded.

I guess what I am asking is whos should I go with to SBR, will I need additional parts such as locking pieces or different rollers when suppressed, is it possible to run the weapon both suppressed and unsuppressed reliably in the event I need different locking piece/rollers than OEM, and with the proper ammunition will it put a smile on my face when suppressed?
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 3:58:01 PM EDT
[#1]
One of the US made guns is probably the cheapest route.  Reason being, you're already in for $200 for the stamp.  If you start with a foreign gun, you've got several parts to replace to get it 922 compliant during the assembly.  

You won't need any additional locking pieces to suppress it.   It should run just fine as-is.  

You need the model with the three lug/threads on the front.  There is no way to put a can on the flatface (original) MP5K.  

How to handle the back end (traditional K or MP5 stock) is a personal/appearance decision.  

I say traditional if you are going to wind up with more than one.   If it's going to be your only one, go with the rev stretch.  

Link Posted: 6/16/2015 4:03:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Go with a reverse stretch K...

https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-rifles/aa-89-kfs-9mm-pistol-detail.html?Itemid=0

<-- Not affiliated with Atlantic, but they are a sponsor here.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 4:11:09 PM EDT
[#3]
You should not need to change locking pieces when you change between suppressed and unsuppressed. And you won't need different rollers. Many recommend the reverse stretch variants that have a full size receiver with K size front end that can accept fixed A2, collapsable A3 or side folding stocks.

I think first think you need to decide is do you want a build made from almost all true German HK parts (Dakota Tactical, Parabellim), or do you want a build that is a licensed clone made overseas on HK tooling (MKE and POF) or get a model made with almost (if not all) all US parts (DJ Getz although he is closing production they are still out there, or Atlantic Firearms AA89 clones.

The price is the biggest difference in the above options ranging from (all pistol version costs)$1,450  for a POF to 3k plus for Dakota Tactical. You can also buy a demilled K from HK parts and send it off the Parabellum or another reputable clone builder and have him form the receiver and assemble it into a pistol version that you can form 1 or assemble it as an SBR and form 3 to your local dealer then form 4.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 4:46:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I would like a reverse stretch K/PDW style with a threaded/3-lug barrel (like the latest factory model). I don't think there is a factory 3-lug mount for the TiRant45, though I think I saw an aftermarket option. The threads will let you use the factory mounts but also have the 3-lug mount option in case you get another can. The 3-lug just looks right too. I'm not sure who, if anyone, offers that configuration unless you have it built.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 4:49:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I really don't care if it has genuine HK parts in it or not as long as shell run. Id like to stay in the 1500 to 2000 range for one.

Itll just be a shooter for the most part. I always thought the K/PDW version of the MP5 was always a cool looking gun. I now finally am at a point in my life I can buy the things I have wanted .

Id likely just want to form 1 it myself and buy a "pistol" to get me going.

I think I like the idea of the stretched receiver so I wont be limited as much on stock options. I came across a MP5PDW with a collapsing stock on it and that's what has been stuck in my head for the last few days.

Link Posted: 6/16/2015 4:51:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would like a reverse stretch K/PDW style with a threaded/3-lug barrel (like the latest factory model). I don't think there is a factory 3-lug mount for the TiRant45, though I think I saw an aftermarket option. The threads will let you use the factory mounts but also have the 3-lug mount option in case you get another can. The 3-lug just looks right too. I'm not sure who, if anyone, offers that configuration unless you have it built.
View Quote

AAC offers them for the Tirant series suppressor, just out of stock at the moment, although I have heard they have plenty of stock and is all related to them moving.

I think they call it the Triad

http://www.advanced-armament.com/Triad-adapter-for-Ti-Rant-silencers_p_671.html
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 6:18:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

AAC offers them for the Tirant series suppressor, just out of stock at the moment, although I have heard they have plenty of stock and is all related to them moving.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll have to double check, I thought that only fit the 9mm TiRant.

Edit: I checked Google and it appears I was (happily) wrong. I might have to get one now.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 6:51:16 AM EDT
[#8]
OP, i built my MP5K-PDW using an MKE, and it is one of my favorite firearms. The original imported MKEs didn't have the tri-lug barrels, but the current imports do. I also have a ti-rant 45. I am just waiting on the adapters to be available from AAC to mount it on my PDW. The total cost to convert a current MKE into the PDW would be around $1700 for the firearm, $100 for the compliance parts, $200 for the stamp, $200 for the tri-lug adapter, $125 for the choate stock. That is a ballpark, but pretty close. Below is a pic of mine with a surefire light kit.

Link Posted: 6/17/2015 7:45:01 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a SP89 clone with a tri lug barrel on it that I plan to SBR at some point.

My plan is to buy the Fleming A2 fixed stock adapter for the K series guns and have a machine shop mill the slots for the A3 stock forks. I end up with a more versatile setup. I can run a normal A3 stock if I want or pull the the adapter off and throw on a side folder.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 10:54:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
OP, i built my MP5K-PDW using an MKE, and it is one of my favorite firearms. The original imported MKEs didn't have the tri-lug barrels, but the current imports do. I also have a ti-rant 45. I am just waiting on the adapters to be available from AAC to mount it on my PDW. The total cost to convert a current MKE into the PDW would be around $1700 for the firearm, $100 for the compliance parts, $200 for the stamp, $200 for the tri-lug adapter, $125 for the choate stock. That is a ballpark, but pretty close. Below is a pic of mine with a surefire light kit.

<a href="http://s813.photobucket.com/user/Icopy1/media/IMG_20130731_230845_zpsc05dc8f2.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz59/Icopy1/IMG_20130731_230845_zpsc05dc8f2.jpg</a>

View Quote

How did you mount that light?
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 5:50:08 PM EDT
[#11]
To mount the light, I purchased an NOS Surefire MP5K light kit off ebay. The kit comes with threaded bushings that screw into the foregrip. You then bolt on a piece of weaver rail that came with it. Then I used a GG&G 1" light mount to hold the Surefire. Think I paid $75 for the kit which included the light and I paid about )20 for the GG&G light mount.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 6:52:22 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Go with a reverse stretch K...

https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-rifles/aa-89-kfs-9mm-pistol-detail.html?Itemid=0

<-- Not affiliated with Atlantic, but they are a sponsor here.
View Quote
+1 I love mine.

Link Posted: 6/20/2015 12:56:33 AM EDT
[#13]
922(r) applies to NFA weapons?
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 8:33:03 AM EDT
[#14]
I was under the impression the LP should be changed to run a K suppressed. I found this years ago somewhere on the net which was is supposed to be a memo from HK regarding suppressor use on the K model. I have no hands on experience with a K + can as I only run a FS with a can but here is the heart of the memo. I believe the #16 LP mentioned in the memo is discontinued (RCM still makes them) and the 100 degree LP's are standard in both the FS and K models.

This correspondence concerns the use of the Heckler & Koch MP5K- Personal Defense Weapon (PDW) with a detachable sound suppressor and heavy subsonic ammunition with a projectile weight of 140 grains or more. Please read the following information carefully and contact Heckler & Koch if you have any questions concerning this matter.

It has been determined that the MP5K-PDW, when fitted with the folding buttstock and sound suppressor, may suffer from occasional stoppages caused by the excessive recoil forces imparted to the bolt group when firing subsonic ammunition with a projectile weight of 140 grains or more. This would include the popular 9mm Parabellum cartridges assembled with a 147 grain projectile. The stoppages that would be experienced would be failures to feed and/or failures to eject.

These stoppages occur as a result of the increased recoil energy imparted to the bolt group when firing the heavy projectile rounds and from the additional back pressure caused by the muffler-like function of the sound suppressor. These stoppages are not experienced in the MP5K-PDW used without the sound suppressor. This information does not concern this weapon unless it is used with a sound suppressor attached.

Due to the increased recoil energy to the bolt it cycles more quickly back and forth in the receiver. This raises the cyclic rate of fire well over 1,100 rpm when used with the subsonic ammunition and sound suppressor. More importantly, it reduces the time available for the column of cartridges in the magazine to rise to the correct feeding position in the path of the bolt group. The bolt attempts to strip the round from the magazine from a lower than normal position and feeding failures may result.

If this failure to feed stoppage occurs the misfed live round may be positioned between the inside of the receiver and the extractor as the bolt comes to a stop. This may result in the extractor and extractor spring being pushed partially out of their recess in the bolt head. Should this occur, the extractor spring may bend and will no longer serve it's intended function to insure the empty case is ejected from the weapon. What the operator clears as a failure to feed may have caused damage to the extractor spring as described above and failures to eject may occur as a result. Under this scenario, the extractor spring must be replaced or further failures to eject will occur.

To prevent these types of stoppages from happening in the MP5K-PDW, we must lower the cyclic rate of fire by lessening the recoil energy imparted to the bolt group as a result of the use of the sound suppressor and heavy subsonic ammunition. This is easily corrected with the use of an optional 80 degree locking piece.

The angles on the front corners of the locking piece control the amount of delay between ignition of the cartridge and the opening of the chamber. By varying these angles we can optimize the opening time of the chamber, reduce the recoil energy imparted to the bolt and lower the cyclic rate of fire to correspond with the configuration of the weapon and the ammunition used by it.

The standard locking piece for the MP5-K, MP5KA1, MP5K-N, SP89, and the MP5K-PDW used without a sound suppressor is marked with the numeral "16" and has angles of 110 degrees. This locking piece would also be used in the MP5K-PDW unless the user plans to fire the weapon with a sound suppressor attached.

When using a sound suppressor on the MP5K-PDW, the 80 degree locking piece should be used in the weapon to insure reliable function. This locking piece is marked with "80º" and has angles of 80 degrees. The MP5K-PDW can also be used with the 80 degree locking piece without the sound suppressor and with any type of 9mm Parabellum ammunition with no effect on it's reliable operation.

An 80 degree locking piece is provided for your use in your MP5K- PDW in conjunction with a sound suppressor. Install it in place of the standard locking piece if it is received separate from the weapon itself.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 1:58:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Here's a pic of my reverse stretch with the Ti Rant 45 threaded on it.

Link Posted: 6/20/2015 1:59:30 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I was under the impression the LP should be changed to run a K suppressed. I found this years ago somewhere on the net which was is supposed to be a memo from HK regarding suppressor use on the K model. I have no hands on experience with a K + can as I only run a FS with a can but here is the heart of the memo. I believe the #16 LP mentioned in the memo is discontinued (RCM still makes them) and the 100 degree LP's are standard in both the FS and K models.

-snip
View Quote

I run the #16 LP in mine suppressed.  It seems to slow down the gun and make the ejection not so violent
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 2:20:53 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View Quote
Yes.

As to how they enforce it... That is anyone's guess.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 11:14:41 PM EDT
[#18]
I also went with a MKE 94k. I added a RCM barrel 922 parts and a SWR Trident 9 suppressor. My 147gr reloads are quiet as hell.

Link Posted: 6/22/2015 2:21:58 PM EDT
[#19]
The more I see them. The more I wanna go with a true K reciever
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 2:23:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I run the #16 LP in mine suppressed.  It seems to slow down the gun and make the ejection not so violent
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

-snip

Does it still cycle well unsuppressed?
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 2:26:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

I would think it does; RCM (Rim County Mfg.) sells a lot of 922 compliand parts for the MP5s (hkparts.net stocks them) and they are on par with HK quality wise; you figure receiver, barrel, trunnion front sight, cocking tube and trigger housing would fill the 922 requirement and everything else, from the small parts to the trigger pack can be HK.

http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/MP5K-US-Compliant-Parts-922r-c349.htm
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 2:02:55 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-snip

I run the #16 LP in mine suppressed. It seems to slow down the gun and make the ejection not so violent

It's been a while since I ran it unsuppressed, but it runs.  The brass only ejects a couple of feet as opposed to the 8'-10' normally.

Link Posted: 6/23/2015 2:11:25 AM EDT
[#23]
I thought the #28/80 degree locking piece was the one to use on the Mp5k when running suppressed and the standard Mp5 locking piece when Not suppressed..................
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 9:02:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I thought the #28/80 degree locking piece was the one to use on the Mp5k when running suppressed and the standard Mp5 locking piece when Not suppressed..................
View Quote

I think you are right. I'm at work or I'd verify that in the manual, but it does sound correct to me.

Whatever the LP for suppressed K's is, I run it in mine all the time and haven't had any issues unsuppressed.

Edit: Yeah here is a link to the one I use: http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/HK-28-Locking-Piece-For-MP5K-N-With-Suppressor-p918.htm

I also shoot the heavy ammo in mine all the time, so not sure what would happen with 115gr. <- probably a very important disclaimer.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 12:54:31 AM EDT
[#25]
I've run thousands of rounds suppressed 147gn and unsurpressed with zero problems. So quiet and awesome with a can.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 1:32:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I think you are right. I'm at work or I'd verify that in the manual, but it does sound correct to me.

Whatever the LP for suppressed K's is, I run it in mine all the time and haven't had any issues unsuppressed.

Edit: Yeah here is a link to the one I use: http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/HK-28-Locking-Piece-For-MP5K-N-With-Suppressor-p918.htm

I also shoot the heavy ammo in mine all the time, so not sure what would happen with 115gr. <- probably a very important disclaimer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I run the same locking piece in mine all the time whether suppressed or not and no issues either..... I have an RCM #28/80 degree LP as a spare but I have used it on several range sessions and it works just as good as the HK LP Naturally I get most of my Goodies from Adam Weber at HKParts
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top