Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/16/2015 12:58:52 PM EDT
I've been looking around at different places online that sell MP5 pistols and complete rifles (with 16" barrels), and I honestly have no idea as to how the quality stacks up against one another...

The POF seems to be the most reasonably priced, but how does it stack up against the other two manufacturers? Are the clones made by Atlantic and DJ Getz much better? More true to form? Or is there really not much of a difference between them?

I'd prefer one in pistol form so that I can just throw a stock on the end after I SBR it. Speaking of stocks - if I wanted to put one of those HK retractable stocks on the end, is it just a simple matter of buying the parts and swapping out the end piece? Or does the gun itself have to be compatible with the retractable stock?

Link Posted: 5/16/2015 1:14:09 PM EDT
[#1]
This has been addressed about fifty times already.  The Atlamtic and Getz guns are really pretty close, the POF a step down.  I have a Getz and that's what I recommend.

An A3 stock should easily attach to any of the three.  It's just a pushpin.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 1:27:31 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This has been addressed about fifty times already.  The Atlamtic and Getz guns are really pretty close, the POF a step down.  I have a Getz and that's what I recommend.

An A3 stock should easily attach to any of the three.  It's just a pushpin.
View Quote

Perfect - thanks.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 10:06:10 AM EDT
[#3]
+ 1 for DJ Getz
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 12:28:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I have an Atlantic AA89 Reverse Stretch and have been totally satisfied.

Was looking at a Getz but they weren't in stock and didn't offer anything more than a threaded barrel.  I prefer a three lug anyway.

Blaine at Atlantic stands behind what he sells 100% and is responsove whenever I contact him.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 2:13:23 PM EDT
[#5]
My Getz gun has a three-lug AND a threaded barrel.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 10:00:28 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

My Getz gun has a three-lug AND a threaded barrel.
View Quote
If you want to use both the Getz guns are the way to go.  I insist on QD mounts for shoulder fired weapons so the thread protector is more of an annoyance than a feature.

You really can't go wrong with either. A POF will probably be fine but if you are going that route you may as well wait until the MKE guns come out.  The first shipment just cleared customs.

I have a problem buying a gun manufactured in a country that is covertly supporting terrorist elements that have been killing our soldiers for the past decade.  The POF is the only gun here to present that dilemma.

Link Posted: 5/19/2015 5:11:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I have a problem buying a gun manufactured in a country that is covertly supporting terrorist elements that have been killing our soldiers for the past decade.  The POF is the only gun here to present that dilemma.

View Quote

There is a lot of guns you're missing out on from around the world if you're strong on that opinion.

If one just doesn't like Pakistan then they will probably have to do some serious selective purchasing.

you will be surprised what comes from there besides jingle trucks.

For tech: the last batch of POF guns are a lot better than the first batch.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 5:40:09 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
There is a lot of guns you're missing out on from around the world if you're strong on that opinion.

If one just doesn't like Pakistan then they will probably have to do some serious selective purchasing.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I understand, but  with so many other (better) options I will spend my money elsewhere.  I'm not opposed to Pakistan or "made in Pakistan" but am leary of buying a product from the State Arsenal.  I know it's a "private company" but the state founded/subsidizes it and the board of directors is appointed by the army.

Elements of the Pakistani defense establishment almost certainly sheltered UBL and are supporting elements that are killing our serviceman right now.

Again, with so many other great options why support the state arsenal of a country like this.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 9:57:04 AM EDT
[#9]
It's definitely an interesting question and I haven't left this unconsidered either.  

I bought Kalashnikovs during the cold war.   From China.

If you want an MP5 type firearm made by a fully licensed manufacturer on HK tooling, there just aren't any other options.  

Another lens you could see this through might make it look like this:

* Our president, and a good amount of congress don't want us to have or own guns at all.  

* POF has stepped up to provide us with the firearms we want, and may eventually need to defend our own freedom.   Maybe they do it for the money, maybe they do it because they don't like the kenyan.   Every gun they put on a boat and send here makes it harder for our own government to oppress us.  

You could consider 'what do they do with the money' to be the first or only thing you think about.   I'm willing to see it as one of many considerations.  

Link Posted: 5/19/2015 12:17:32 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I bought Kalashnikovs during the cold war.   From China.

If you want an MP5 type firearm made by a fully licensed manufacturer on HK tooling, there just aren't any other options.

View Quote
The Chinese weren't funding a low key insurgency that was putting our troops in the ground.  In fact, I would argue they were an asset to us during the late 70's and 80's.  

Turkish MKE guns are made by a fully licensed manufacturer on HK tooling.  New MKE guns have just cleared customs.

The whole "HK tooling"  was far more important a few years back when the only affordable clones on the market were problematic guns produced by Todd Bailey's companies(Special Weapons, Coharie, Bobcat, Vector, etc.)   The clone market has diversified and is competitive.  That has caused clone manufacturers to up the QC.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 6:52:20 PM EDT
[#11]
I agree with freeride, the MKE guns should be on your radar.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 8:09:58 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View Quote

What's the quality difference between the MLE builds and Getz/AA/POF?
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 8:57:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've only had experience with three 9mm MKE guns - two of the SP89 style pistols and one 94 style rifle - all functioned 100%. The 94 rifle is mine which is now a SBR and serves as a FA host. The receivers all measure correctly across the scope tabs  which are undercut correctly so adding a B&T rail was no problem unlike my Coharies of the past. All furniture slides in and out of place and w/o the use of a BFH.

These are ATI imports and the finish was not the most attractive (nor are the markings) but the welds look good and the cocking tube, barrel and sights are straight. I've had mine refinished after the barrel & shelf were installed. I'm eager to see what the new crop of MKE's look like that ZQI is importing, I'm betting they're gonna be an improvement over the older ATI guns. As for comparing them to a POF, AA or Getz I have no first hand experience but my gut says I made the right decision.

On the domestic built side before I spent almost 2K today on a AA or Getz I'd pony up more coin and look for a Dakota Tactical if one can be found. IMO the DT's are the best of the American built guns. I also believe if the supply of the MKE & POF guns is consistent they'll force a reduction in price of some US made guns.

Enjoy your search & good luck with whatever you buy.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 10:23:20 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I've only had experience with three 9mm MKE guns - two of the SP89 style pistols and one 94 style rifle - all functioned 100%. The 94 rifle is mine which is now a SBR and serves as a FA host. The receivers all measure correctly across the scope tabs  which are undercut correctly so adding a B&T rail was no problem unlike my Coharies of the past. All furniture slides in and out of place and w/o the use of a BFH.

These are ATI imports and the finish was not the most attractive (nor are the markings) but the welds look good and the cocking tube, barrel and sights are straight. I've had mine refinished after the barrel & shelf were installed. I'm eager to see what the new crop of MKE's look like that ZQI is importing, I'm betting they're gonna be an improvement over the older ATI guns. As for comparing them to a POF, AA or Getz I have no first hand experience but my gut says I made the right decision.

On the domestic built side before I spent almost 2K today on a AA or Getz I'd pony up more coin and look for a Dakota Tactical if one can be found. IMO the DT's are the best of the American built guns. I also believe if the supply of the MKE & POF guns is consistent they'll force a reduction in price of some US made guns.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thank you, sir - appreciate the info.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top