Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/6/2015 5:20:20 PM EDT
Been looking at the 16 inch G.I. Version. Was wondering what you guys though. The mags are cheap. Would this be a durable rifle to have in a shtf type situation? I have read some reviews and they seemed good. Any info would help. Thanks John
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 7:54:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Been looking at the 16 inch G.I. Version. Was wondering what you guys though. The mags are cheap. Would this be a durable rifle to have in a shtf type situation? I have read some reviews and they seemed good. Any info would help. Thanks John
View Quote

I have an older PTR-91KP (16" barrel and retractable stock) that is built like a rock. In this configuration, it can do double duty as a CQB weapon and a general use weapon. If need be, you can change the stock out to a full stock in about one minute or less. I have a full stock for mine. The magazine pictured is a 30-rounder, but I have several 20-round magazines that I bought cheap several years ago.

Link Posted: 4/7/2015 9:31:26 PM EDT
[#2]
jrs93accord ever had any problems with the carbine?
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 4:40:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Go for it , my PTR91K is 100%

I picked up this one in late 2013.

HDH.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 4:45:03 PM EDT
[#4]
The Paratrooper stock does suck for recoil.

For such smart designers, to focus all that recoil force on such a tiny and badly shaped area is Coo-Coo!!

Other than that, the HK-91 / PTR-91 are good shooting rifles.

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 12:00:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
jrs93accord ever had any problems with the carbine?
View Quote

None at all.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 11:28:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Paratrooper stock does suck for recoil.

For such smart designers, to focus all that recoil force on such a tiny and badly shaped area is Coo-Coo!!

Other than that, the HK-91 / PTR-91 are good shooting rifles.

BIGGER_HAMMER
View Quote

Nato rifle grenades are why the stock is shape like that.  The first ones had a concave buttplate and are much more comfortable but would break with when they launched rifle  grenades.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 11:30:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I really wish PTR would do a 91KGI with the K length cocking tube/hand guard and the GI barrel profile.  That would be an awesome rifle.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 12:05:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Buy a PTR PDW pistol and sbr her.

Waiting for my tax stamp to come back.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 1:31:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I've been looking at PTR 91s and the PDW.. are any of the ones CDNN has on their site a great deal?
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 10:48:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Bought 2 PTR91GI   $999 and $799. Both are for "long distance security" in California, farming and property management.
At the Angeles long distance gun range, these hit the 600 gong with no problem, about 3 feet diameter gong.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 5:01:39 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a PTR-91 GI and it's been a pretty decent performer.  However, like the original models, it needs some work to be a viable SHTF firearm.  First the safety is too short for normal length thumbs.  However, RTG sells an extended replacement that makes it easier to manipulate the selector lever.  Second is the magazine release is a joke to get at without shifting your grip.  In order for the HK91 and clones to be legal, the original design omitted the paddle magazine release.  You can install a magazine release paddle though but it's not a job for the home gunsmith.  One mistake, drill too deep, and now you have an illegal Class III weapon!  I just sent my barreled receiver off to Bill Springfield in Colorado Springs to have this modification done though.  Once the original paddle magazine release is installed, it's not any worse than an M-14, FAL or AK style magazine release and a modification I highly recommend.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top