Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2015 7:10:05 PM EDT
What is a good brake for the 91 type rifles ?
Already going to be experimenting with the rubber buttpad and a heavy buffer.
I'm trying to make my 7.62X51 rifles more friendly for the whole family

Any buffer, pad, comp combos you recommend ?
I know not much can be done with the collapsible  configuration.

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 7:49:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 8:03:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Heavy buffer is all you really need, makes a huge difference.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 9:36:53 AM EDT
[#3]
The heavy recoil buffer (such as the one Parabellum Combat Systems/PCS makes) will help you out, and with an HK21 buttpad that might be all that you need. In fact the HK21 buttpad might be enough all by itself, it runs about 40 to 50 bucks or so from Robert at RTG Parts. I think the way that the 21 pad spreads the recoil out is what helps out the most to mitigate recoil; the heavy buffer in a fixed G3A3 type buttstock with regular buttpad does make a noticeable difference but to be honest in my own experience it does not make the dramatic difference in lowering felt recoil that some have claimed it will.

I would try the 21 buttpad first and see if that helps enough on its own.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 12:28:21 PM EDT
[#4]
http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/PWS-FSC-HK-Threaded-Barrel-Compensator-121p837.htm

This.

The most effective way to reduce recoil on just about any rifle is with a good muzzle break and this one works.

HDH.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 1:23:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Check your bolt gap if it is out of spec your rifle can recoil a lot harder than it should.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 7:02:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/PWS-FSC-HK-Threaded-Barrel-Compensator-121p837.htm

This.

The most effective way to reduce recoil on just about any rifle is with a good muzzle break and this one works.

HDH.
View Quote

My SCAR17 has one of these
They definitely work
Thanks for the suggestions so far
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 10:18:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Check your bolt gap if it is out of spec your rifle can recoil a lot harder than it should.
View Quote

This is very true.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 11:11:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Thanks
View Quote

The HK collapsible stock is an absolute War Crime...     It focuses all the energy onto the smallest possible area.  OUCH!!

Ditch it for the fixed stock and then use the items suggested HK21 pad & the heavy buffer kit will do wonders

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 12:57:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Bill Springfield makes a replacement buffer for the A3 stock. He claims around 30% recoil reduction

A3 buffer

Link Posted: 3/24/2015 4:27:27 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The HK collapsible stock is an absolute War Crime...     It focuses all the energy onto the smallest possible area.  OUCH!!

Ditch it for the fixed stock and then use the items suggested HK21 pad & the heavy buffer kit will do wonders

BIGGER_HAMMER
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks

BIGGER_HAMMER

Anybody know why the collapsible stock is curved the wrong way?

How come someone never made one that looks like the collapsible stock on the HK-94?
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 10:11:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

How come someone never made one that looks like the collapsible stock on the HK-94?
View Quote

The early style were like the Mp5, but steel with no pad. The theory for years has been that HK made them concave for grenade launching, but I can't see it being a benefit for that. I figure it's so that the bottom doesn't snag on armor and LBV.

As far as the pain of it, maybe Germans (and Norwegians and Swedish and Pakis and...) just aren't soft ;). It's never bothered me and I prefer it to the fixed stock in any scenario I've used it in.

Link Posted: 3/25/2015 1:44:31 PM EDT
[#12]
I hadn't see the curved (as opposed to convex) stock before.

I haven't shot my G3 in a while but when I do, it is always with the full stock.

So, what is with the sharp points on the end?

(pic borrowed from the web)

Link Posted: 3/25/2015 2:06:18 PM EDT
[#13]
It's for grip on your shoulder or dinner prep (steaks)

The pad is rubber, so at least it's not a true meat tenderizer
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 2:33:01 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

It's for grip on your shoulder or dinner prep (steaks)

The pad is rubber, so at least it's not a true meat tenderizer
View Quote

Even if it is rubber, it still looks just like this.

Link Posted: 3/25/2015 3:17:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Yeah, but it's just a 7.62x51. It's not like it's a dangerous game round (granted, this is a 30'06)
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 3:26:35 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Yeah, but it's just a 7.62x51. It's not like it's a dangerous game round (granted, this is a 30'06)

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-OGpOi0IvJHE/UpgChJnYnpI/AAAAAAAAJSY/hJVmQ4oiNtc/s320/ACF98DD.jpg
View Quote

True.

Still, on full auto I'm going to stick with the full stock and not the collapsible.

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 3:03:01 AM EDT
[#17]
The curved stock is for it to be put on the hip bone front section as I was told from a HK dealer.

Kinda hard to believe.

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 8:03:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Just IMHO, but on FA, the A3 stock seemed like less recoil. Kind of like getting stuck with a needle vs. getting a tattoo.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 10:12:47 AM EDT
[#19]
I have that old style A3 stock on my HK41 and I find the recoil is fine. My 5' tall daughter can shoot it...I'm 55 and have been shooting these since the 70s..I do suspect people weened on ARs  just arent used to battle rifle recoil.

I doubt that the newer A3 stock was changed because of body armour as this was done long before such armour was general Bundeswehr issue. I qualified with the G3 in the 80s and at that time with full conscription there were lots of women in the German military.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 12:32:35 PM EDT
[#20]
I like the A3 stock, have no problem with the recoil. Get some perspective and shoot some old bolt action Rifles. ;)

Now this is RECOIL!

HDH.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 10:02:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

BIGGER_HAMMER

The butt plate is curved to achieve the proper muzzle angle(s) for grenade launching. That's my understanding anyway.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top