Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2014 5:18:39 PM EDT
I missed my opportunity to own HK94's and a SP89 at good prices while in college.  Now the prices are pretty high, double what i could have bought at.  Been doing quite a bit of reading and watching videos on DIY HK builds.  Im currently over capacity on AR15's per the wife, I guess its time to move on to HK's.

Option 1 is DIY -LCS or similar kit with receivers seem to be $1600 and up for MP5, $100 for paint/ cerakote, $250 one time flat jig investment.
Option 2 is a custom build (IGF, Brethern Arms, Parabellum, Dakota Tactical) $2800 and up MP5
Option 3 is MKE, POF MP5 $1600 and up. Unsure of quality, read about a number of people sending to a smith for corrective actions.
Option 4 is save up and get the real deals (HK)

I have access to all the hand tools, press, tig welder, etc.  I think if i go slow, it wont be a problem putting one together.

I also have seen conflicting interpretation on 922r in terms of SBR buils.  From what I can tell it doesnt apply to pistol builds.

Should i try to buy a demilled kit or piece it together?  What are the used barrel quality from the kits?  

Anyone have any experience, photos, advice, online resources?  Anyone rent the jig?

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 5:45:19 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I missed my opportunity to own HK94's and a SP89 at good prices while in college.  Now the prices are pretty high, double what i could have bought at.  Been doing quite a bit of reading and watching videos on DIY HK builds.  Im currently over capacity on AR15's per the wife, I guess its time to move on to HK's.

Option 1 is DIY -LCS or similar kit with receivers seem to be $1600 and up for MP5, $100 for paint/ cerakote, $250 one time flat jig investment.

Option 2 is a custom build (IGF, Brethern Arms, Parabellum, Dakota Tactical) $2800 and up MP5

Option 3 is MKE, POF MP5 $1600 and up. Unsure of quality, read about a number of people sending to a smith for corrective actions.

I have access to all the hand tools, press, tig welder, etc.  I think if i go slow, it wont be a problem putting one together.

I also have seen conflicting interpretation on 922r in terms of SBR buils.  From what I can tell it doesnt apply to pistol builds.

Should i try to buy a demilled kit or piece it together?  What are the used barrel quality from the kits?  

Anyone have any experience, photos, advice, online resources?  Anyone rent the jig?

Thanks in advance!

View Quote
I don't think it's to wise to try and build it yourself, I could be wrong. I'd go with option two, I did. Jeff Walters at Parabellum does great work.

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 7:15:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Unless your workshop is really well  equipped, most folks are better off having it built. There are so many issues to get a great build: the welding, stamping, engraving, alignment, bolt gap: hard to do it all up right, with $1500 or more in parts on the line.

Getting the parts together piecemeal is hit or miss. It costs a lot doing it piecemeal because of shipping and insurance, and parts are generally less as a combo.

Even getting a complete parts kit is a bit of a gamble, because the degree of wear is extremely variable.

I got an LSC combo kit (parts plus flat plus weld parts) for $1400, but the barrel had a bit of rounding wear at the edges of the lands. Dakota Tactical built it into a fine gun which is accurate and reliable. It took about 5 or 6 months, but now his waits are 2+ years.

I did my own kit over time by getting a front end with a flat kit here on the Classifieds, and I had all the rest of parts in my spares bin. The barrel looked excellent.

I sent that off to Gerard Miller, a builder in SC. It should be done soon, after 7 months of waiting.

Ghillie Bear seems to have shorter waits, and his cost is reasonable.

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 8:14:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

If I were in your shoes, first decide what you want - a shooter or a collector, etc.  If you just want a shooter, MKE is apparently importing again soon and they are a good HK licensed gun, and POFs are also very good.  My POF-5  has been perfect and trouble-free, but I didn't expect Gucci - just a good rack grade gun that works well.  Most of the knocks are on the paint or on crooked cocking tubes, apparent crooked sights (I don't think this is really the case for most since the HK diopters are not the easiest to zero unless someone has taught you how to adjust them properly), etc.  None of these things affect function and cosmetics are going to get a little scratched up if you actually use it.   MKE hasn't broken cover on pricing or who will be selling it yet, but Atlantic Arms (that is selling the POF) has great customer service and stands behind it for any warranty issues.  If you're going the shooter route, this is a great option.  The downside to a shooter is that things like good magazines are pricey, so know that it is part of your budget, too.

Your option 1 is really reasonable after you have something that you can use as a reference as observing and measuring beat the hell out of guessing how parts go together from a picture.  HK roller locks are not very easy to assemble by nature.  When the "factory clones" (like all the Todd Bailey offerings), lots of clone builders, and others can't get it right every time - it isn't an easy proposition.   I wouldn't do this for my first HK pattern gun. If the cosmetics really bother you about the POF or MKE (people knocked the cosmetics when ATI imported them too, and had the same "criticisms"), refinish it yourself.  This will help you see how its put together if you want to build your second HK pattern gun yourself.  

Option 2 is up to you on cost.  There are some decent builders out there, some dodgy as well - all the guys you name are know for being good.  The only experience I have personally with anyone you named was with Jason at IGF and he is a great guy.  A word of caution on internet opinions on clones: Some guys who buy clones from builders judge quality solely on how the paint finish looks or how "straight" the welds appear to be, then never really use them.  You could build the gun out of popsicle sticks and it will last if you never shoot it.  The round counts really determine quality due to function (stoppages, parts breakages, etc.), not cosmetics.  If you want an opinion on a builder, look for someone who has shot the piss out of what they bought.  Someone with a registered sear pack who shoots a lot and often would know better than the guy who goes to the range twice a year and views their clone as a "range toy".  Its fine to be a fanboy with a "range toy", but this doesn't equate to sound opinion on quality construction, reliability, or longevity.  The downside to any clone from a builder is always the US parts.    

Option 4 is the only one for a collector weapon, but you will probably not shoot it as often due to values climbing. If your wife finds out what the value is today, you will definitely not want to shoot it (ask me how I know).  Great if you want to collect, but it;s hard to justify potentially beating up something that is practically irreplaceable and declines in value if it isn't all original.

Decide what you're going to use it for first, then take the best path.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:40:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Found an mp5 f kit years ago for a good deal and built up a LSC flat myself. Not too difficult at all with the proper bending jig. Most important part is to use the LSC flat only. They are really made well. Other than that just take your time especially welding the cocking tube. It likes to pull side to side when the heat from the welding gets to it.

Ive built AKs from flats and honestly the HK was easier for me. Very satisfying when finished. I just alumahyde spray painted it till I was sure it functioned well. Now its time for a cerakote.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:14:23 AM EDT
[#5]
I pondered this same thing two years ago. Back then mke guns were climbing in price and pof wasn't being imported yet.
I chose to get a parts kit from lsc because
They included the flat and weld kit. My parts kit came and it was beat to shit, looking back
I would have gone with a different supplier. I sent to the flat to ident for engraving as I knew I was going to sbr it.
Ident took a while but the work was great, I have had Orion do work previously and wasn't happy with the results to say the least.
I then looked for builders. IGF looked decent and had good reviews but his prices were excessively high, Dakota had higher prices,  great reviews,
But he was quoting 6 months from receipt and from what I was reading on the forms he had a bad habit of pushing back deadlines. I went with Parabellum. Jeff
Had good deadlines, great prices, great reviews, and fantastic customer service.
I got my gun back 3 weeks ahead of what he quoted me, the fininish and welds are great. I have over 1500 rounds through it
So far and I haven't had a single malfunction. As far as 922r was concerned I went ahead and used the proper number of us parts.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top