Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2014 10:40:43 AM EDT
This is a follow up to my AA89k pistol thread from a few months past. I finally received my new pistol brace and wanted to share my thoughts. First off, this thing is rock solid. Zero play on any parts. Put together very well with what looks like all machined parts.
I purchased the version with the side folder hinge. I also purchased the two different butt mounts as I have an aa89k and a paki full sized pistol which required two different mounting attachments. My plan WAS to use the single stock and swap back and for the between the two guns. Now that I have the brace mounted to the aa89k, I’ll be purchasing a second one for the Paki pistol.
http://dcfamily.wwwssr3.supercp.com/1.jpg

Side folder hinge is stamped “Made in the USA”. Comes with a letter from ATF showing its legality.
Finish is flat black and very nice. Comes with many adjustments to fit your body/shooting style. The mounting butt plate comes with three different positions vertically to mount to, plus there are fine tuning slots in the hardware for additional tweaking. The side folder and the mounting adjustments are the main reasons why I went with the Atlantic model brace.
http://dcfamily.wwwssr3.supercp.com/2.jpg
http://dcfamily.wwwssr3.supercp.com/3.jpg

I mounted mine to the center holes in the butt plate and for me, the brace still sits a little high. If this is your first installation, I would recommend using the lowest hole settings, this will allow you to get a better sight picture and it also moves the brace a little lower, so when it’s closed, it gives you more room to operate the charging handle.

There were a couple hiccups when putting the thing together. First off there was no instructions for the side folding hinge. I took a best guess on how it mounted and it worked first try. Second thing was the hinge it’s self is pretty tight. It took multiple opening/closing the hinge to work it in and loosen it up, I also dropped some rem oil in it. It’s still very tight. I called Atlantic about it and they said “it’s that way on purpose” and will work it’s self in with use. I can see why they do it this way though because when open, it’s totally solid with ZERO rattle. I may hit the hinge with a fine file to take a little metal off and allow easier opening/closing. It also locks when closed so the stock does not move around. One other issue I had, was I couldn’t figure out how to adjust the final position of the stock when you thread it on to the adapter. Again, I called Atlantic and was told to adjust with the castle nut, which requires a castle nut wrench (not included). Luckily I had one from mounting AR15 stocks in the past. You can see my first attempt ended in failure. Pic attached. LOL
http://dcfamily.wwwssr3.supercp.com/4.jpg
http://dcfamily.wwwssr3.supercp.com/5.jpg

There is a little play with the stock right at the butt plate. This is because on a K pistol the brace is only held on the gun by the two receiver pins. I may see if I can pick up slightly larger diameter pins that would sit tighter through the receiver/stock.

On my full size paki, there is no play at all because the butt plate goes completely around the receiver and is VERY snug. I had to use a rubber mallet to get it to seat. That being said, I use the same technique to get my HK collapsible stock on too.
http://dcfamily.wwwssr3.supercp.com/6.jpg

Additional pros of this brace is that I didn’t have to file short barreled rifle paperwork with ATF, no need to re-serialize the gun and no year waiting period for my stamp to come back, or $200 stamp fee. I already went that route once on another mp5 clone and it was a huge pain and now it can’t be sold easily as it’s registered as a short barreled rifle.

Overall, I freaking love this thing. Hinge tightness and all, I have a bad ass little mp5 clone here and will definitely be picking up a second one for my full size paki.
http://dcfamily.wwwssr3.supercp.com/7.jpg

The wife shooting video will follow this post, like last time.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 3:54:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Braces really look like shit on HK guns.

Why would you need to re-serialize the gun (and break federal law)?

Link Posted: 8/20/2014 4:02:43 PM EDT
[#2]

View Quote

He probably means engraving his maker info. When you Form 1 a gun you are the "maker" of the SBR so your name and city, state need to be engraved.

Thanks for the review, I went the SBR route with my POF-5 but it's good to hear there are options.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 5:21:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

He probably means engraving his maker info. When you Form 1 a gun you are the "maker" of the SBR so your name and city, state need to be engraved.

Thanks for the review, I went the SBR route with my POF-5 but it's good to hear there are options.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

When I went the SBR route on my Bobcat, it had a permanently attached fake silencer. After I got my forms back I had to cut out the pin holding it on thus making it an SBR. When you do that you need to engrave your info on the gun, which I believe becomes the new serial. (because technically I made it)
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 7:46:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice review. Please post pics of it on the full size if you can. I would like to see it mounted and in the shortest length possible. Thanks
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 10:24:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

AR15 styled braces on HK firearms yes...give it time, more styles will come.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 10:42:42 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I can definitely appreciate the concept of the arm brace but life is too short to worry about what ifs down the road.

Those AR braces aren't my cup of tea with HK firearms either.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 4:53:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

When I went the SBR route on my Bobcat, it had a permanently attached fake silencer. After I got my forms back I had to cut out the pin holding it on thus making it an SBR. When you do that you need to engrave your info on the gun, which I believe becomes the new serial. (because technically I made it)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The serial number and Model stay the same as already stamped on the firearm. As the MFG of the SBR you get to engrave your info as indicated above..
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 2:09:31 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View Quote

You engrave the maker's name, city and state. You aren't changing the serial number.

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 6:56:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top