Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2014 4:13:23 AM EDT
Preface - I want a modern day H&K G3 clone. PTR seems to be the ticket, so I've looked at them, and the price is right; not only that, but they said "fuck tyranny!", and moved from CT, to SC, so they're good in my book.

Moving on -

I really want a modern day G3A3 clone. I've had a fascination with them since I played Rainbow Six as a kid, and saw them in movies, etc.

Now that I'm grown up (somewhat ), I kinda want one......

So looking at the models that PTR offers, the only ones I'm truly interest in are the PTR 91 A3R (Atlantic Arms exclusive), because its a basic, no-frills G3 copy, but with a rail in case I wanna get crazy and add an optic.................and I'm interested in the PTR 91 SC, with its 16" fluted barrel, and railed handguard.

I'm not quite sure which one would suit my needs and wants; obviously, I'd do the ARFCOM thing and buy both, but that's not plausible.

I want a battle rifle that I can use at close to medium range; precision and "sniping" aren't my thing. I like to shoot close to medium range, and I shoot for minute of man.

A part of me says that the PTR 91 SC offers more versatility with its shorter barrel, and railed handguard, but the PTR 91 A3R is a basic, no-frills model with G3A3 looks, and a rail. Simple. Effective.

Not sure which one would suit me the best in this instance. I want a modern day G3 clone, but at the same time, it seems like the SC version would be a better buy, beings I could always just buy a standard handguard for it, if the rail gets on my nerves.

Curious as to what the hive thinks?

PTR 91 SC "Squad Carbine" w/ 16" fluted barrel -

PTR 91 A3R w/ 18" barrel -

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 4:18:01 AM EDT
[#1]
I wish they had the welded optic rail when I bought mine. One of the only downsides to these guns was the optics mounting.

I have a 91K with the folder and I love it but would probably just get the standard handguard 18" gun now.

If you want the rails get them.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 4:24:02 AM EDT
[#2]
I've got the PTR91 pistol that has since been SBR'd. very good gun, PTR is good to go. Glad they moved to SC from Conn. as well.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 4:38:00 AM EDT
[#3]
I just picked up a GI model.

I would say go with the 18".  You can always make a barrel shorter, but making it longer (without replacing) is not really in the cards lol.
You can switch out handguards quickly if you find you need rails.
That wide handguard that comes on the 18" is also setup to accept HK bipods if that was something you were looking for.

I guess the question is - why do you want rails?  Did you want to mount a flashlight or grip up front?
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 5:02:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just picked up a GI model.

I would say go with the 18".  You can always make a barrel shorter, but making it longer (without replacing) is not really in the cards lol.
You can switch out handguards quickly if you find you need rails.
That wide handguard that comes on the 18" is also setup to accept HK bipods if that was something you were looking for.

I guess the question is - why do you want rails?  Did you want to mount a flashlight or grip up front?
View Quote

In regard to the flashlight at grip? Not really. It'd be nice to have the capability, but it's not something I'd really do.

In reality, all I'd do to either gun is throw an EOTech 512 or Aimpoint PRO on it, and call it good.

I've heard people say that the 16" fluted barrel SC variant is lighter and more maneuverable, but I don't see how 2" can make THAT big a difference.

I suppose KISS is in effect here, and to just go with the standard A3R......simple G3 clone, but with a welded on top rail. Seems like a great way to go........but I just want to make sure I wouldn't regret not getting the 16" SC version.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 5:08:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Oddly enough, I want the A3R but without the rail.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:20:40 AM EDT
[#6]
I would say the welded rail is what you need then, so either model fits the bill.

I can tell you that these guns - no matter what configuration are heavy.  I was surprised at the weight of my fully loaded GI model with the slim front handguard.
I don;t mind the weight out front for me - it helps keep the barrel down a little while firing.
If weight is a concern, shaving off a couple inches and fluting will save you some - but i am not sure if it will be that noticeable on a gun that is already pretty heavy.

Honestly from your description it sounds like either gun would suit you just fine.  You will not regret either purchase.
Only regret you will have is the amount of money you will end up spending on tons of cheap surplus mags and cheap spare parts!
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:26:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I would say the welded rail is what you need then, so either model fits the bill.

I can tell you that these guns - no matter what configuration are heavy.  I was surprised at the weight of my fully loaded GI model with the slim front handguard.
I don;t mind the weight out front for me - it helps keep the barrel down a little while firing.
If weight is a concern, shaving off a couple inches and fluting will save you some - but i am not sure if it will be that noticeable on a gun that is already pretty heavy.

Honestly from your description it sounds like either gun would suit you just fine.  You will not regret either purchase.
Only regret you will have is the amount of money you will end up spending on tons of cheap surplus mags and cheap spare parts!
View Quote

Thanks for the advice.

I honestly feel as if you're right; at this point for me, it's this - do I want old-school, basic (the A3R), or do I want the tacti-cool, decked out model (SC variant).....seems like that for the shooting I'm doing, the difference between the 16" and 18" barrel would be a non-issue.

I'm looking to buying towards the end of the month, so I still go some time to decide, and research; I will say that I love that I can get a 3-pack of mags for like $20-25.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 7:41:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Bigdog speaks the truth, these guns are all pigs. I don't notice my 16" being very light or maneuverable
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 8:08:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I will say that I love that I can get a 3-pack of mags for like $20-25.
View Quote

There are 2 types of mags out there for these guns - steel (heavy but indestructible) and aluminum (much lighter but can damage with heavy use)
Steels will run you maybe 7 to 10 bucks a piece.
The aluminums.....you can bury yourself in mags for really cheap.

You can get a 100 pack of surplus mags for $150 - several places offer them:  Here and Here
Centerfire systems has 2.50 each if you order more than 3 Here
Midwayusa even has them at 4 bucks a piece (about half the ones I have ordered from there are brand new, never used.  The other half are pristine condition but show some usage) Here
Anytime I order from midway, I always tack on a handful of mags.  They add up fast.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 1:45:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Bigdog speaks the truth, these guns are all pigs. I don't notice my 16" being very light or maneuverable
View Quote

so I'm leaning towards the A3R.......the extra $200 I'd spend on the SC, I can put towards mags and ammo if I just get the A3R......especially if the 16" SC doesn't offer anything over the 18" A3R, besides a railed hand guard.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 2:06:06 PM EDT
[#11]
I really enjoy my A3R. If you ever want to use an optic having the rail is the best option in my opinion since it allows lower mounting and it's rock solid. If you can swing it I'd look into the German .22 conversion. Mine runs much better than any AR conversion I've used.

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 4:54:24 AM EDT
[#12]
I bought the version with the heavy barrel and forearm with rails.  For < $30.00 you can buy original wood furniture from RobertRTG so it's not a problem to have a classic G3 look and the option of a tacticool forearm with a zillion rails
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:36:24 AM EDT
[#13]
MKE is going to be importing a semi G3 in the next few months.  You might want to hold off your purchase.

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:35:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
MKE is going to be importing a semi G3 in the next few months.  You might want to hold off your purchase.

View Quote

Are they going to have a paddle mag release? Why is it that ptr won't make that a standard option?
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:44:06 AM EDT
[#15]
FWIW, I'd go with the A3R. Less barrel and a quad rail just does not seem appealing on the HK91 platform.

I also think the welded rail is a good optics platform compared to the low-rise mounts (which tend to mount on crooked) and the way-too-high claw mounts. There's a reason the Norwegians and the Swedes went to the welded-rail system on their G3 variants; it simply works better.

I agree that it would be nice if PTR Industries could make paddles standard, but that would also raise prices somewhat.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:49:39 AM EDT
[#16]
The Squad Carbines are nice guns, and I would say that the SC's have a slight edge over the 18" guns in handling.  Plus if you don't like the rails, you can remove them from the aluminum handguard.  There's 4 screws holding each rail, so you could even cut one in half and reattach if you didn't need as long a section.

If you like the older style rifles, what about this one?  It's a 16" barrel, welded receiver rail, and wood furniture.  PTR-91 Wood Classic KR
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top