Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/12/2012 12:08:06 PM EDT
So what're the chances, you guys think, that we'll ever see a semi- / civilian MP7 from HK, or even as a copy?  

G36 clones can be had if you've got the money, USCs can be made into UMPs pretty easy, and an MR556 can become an HK416 for less than you can make a G36 for, and every MP5 variant you can think of is accessible.  

So what of the MP7?  

Am I the only one interested in one?  Or does no one talk about them because there's just no chance in hell?  

What say thee?

~Augee
Link Posted: 1/12/2012 12:22:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I would love one, but I think ammo would be a problem.
Link Posted: 1/12/2012 12:24:29 PM EDT
[#2]
They could ship it here tomarrow as a pistol if they drop the auto trigger group.

But as they say...
Link Posted: 1/12/2012 12:24:44 PM EDT
[#3]
1. No ammo
2. Couldn't have the stock or the foregrip unless HK went Title 2
3. HK hates you

I would love to have one but if I somehow managed to get one it would end up like my PS90... left in the safe because I forgot to order ammo for it.
Link Posted: 1/12/2012 12:28:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
1. No ammo
2. Couldn't have the stock or the foregrip unless HK went Title 2
3. HK hates you

I would love to have one but if I somehow managed to get one it would end up like my PS90... left in the safe because I forgot to order ammo for it.

And you couldn't import it as Title 2 so it would have to be made here or converted once stateside.
Link Posted: 1/12/2012 12:30:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Unless you plan on a high target density of groundhogs, buy something else...  Same thing with the PS90.

Intermediate cartridge loaded with varmint bullets, since the AP stuff isn't the easiest stuff to find.  Could be fun for plinking though.
Link Posted: 1/12/2012 12:32:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I always thought it'd be cool chambered in something like 357 Sig. More ammo availability, but still is still a very hot round, and is tapered similar in design to the 4.6
It doesn't have nearly the speed of a 4.7, but it's a bit more practical. 5.7 would be another good choice, but I can't see HK ever adopting a competing round in any caliber.

I'd love a Semi MP7, but I can't see it happening.
Link Posted: 1/12/2012 12:44:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I would think that the ammunition would be the lesser problem - reloaders are all over this country, and the commercial market responds pretty well to demands for "wildcat" calibers in other cases.

Plus, the ammunition is clearly being produced, albeit in small numbers, for U.S. military consumption.  

Also, while it may be the tail wagging the dog - wasn't there a version made in 5.7"?  Granted, it's not the 5.7 I want, but it would be a start.

I know H&K's got to deal with a lot of German government silliness about exporting even sporterized military weapons, but see - I even mocked on up for them.  I can SBR it myself, thank you very much.  

And from what I've seen - once the "base" of the weapon starts becoming available, the parts kits and US made- replica parts start coming to market not long after.

~Augee
Link Posted: 1/12/2012 12:53:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Unless you plan on a high target density of groundhogs, buy something else...  Same thing with the PS90.

Intermediate cartridge loaded with varmint bullets, since the AP stuff isn't the easiest stuff to find.  Could be fun for plinking though.

Oh come on, man!  We can't all design and build our own PDWs in our backyard!  

IMHO - any of the HK stuff I mentioned has priced itself far out of the "practical use" category, into the "it would be awesome to have if I had the cash" category.  

Even if HK did market a civi-MP7 variant, more than likely, it would be priced higher than I could afford.  

That being said, hypothetically planning it out - perhaps as a pistol would be an easier way to get it into the country than my "mockup."  

~Augee
Link Posted: 1/12/2012 2:20:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I would think that the ammunition would be the lesser problem - reloaders are all over this country, and the commercial market responds pretty well to demands for "wildcat" calibers in other cases.

Plus, the ammunition is clearly being produced, albeit in small numbers, for U.S. military consumption.  

Also, while it may be the tail wagging the dog - wasn't there a version made in 5.7"?  Granted, it's not the 5.7 I want, but it would be a start.

I know H&K's got to deal with a lot of German government silliness about exporting even sporterized military weapons, but see - I even mocked on up for them.  I can SBR it myself, thank you very much.  

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff502/augeekim/hk_mp7_sl7.jpg

And from what I've seen - once the "base" of the weapon starts becoming available, the parts kits and US made- replica parts start coming to market not long after.

~Augee

Who in the military uses MP7's? I've never seen or heard of them being used or even tested by any part of the US military. Closest I've seen to that was a secret service guy with a p90 at the white house once.
and that photo shopped pic makes me want to cry dam you 922r one in 22 mag would be cool or 7.62 tokarev for easier cheaper ammo. As for reloading doesn't the 5.7 have a problem with exploding if you reload it I seem to remember reading that someplace if it doesn't oh well im wrong but if it does id imagine the hk equivalent would have the same problem.
Link Posted: 1/12/2012 2:26:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

~Augee

Who in the military uses MP7's? I've never seen or heard of them being used or even tested by any part of the US military. Closest I've seen to that was a secret service guy with a p90 at the white house once.
and that photo shopped pic makes me want to cry dam you 922r one in 22 mag would be cool or 7.62 tokarev for easier cheaper ammo. As for reloading doesn't the 5.7 have a problem with exploding if you reload it I seem to remember reading that someplace if it doesn't oh well im wrong but if it does id imagine the hk equivalent would have the same problem.

NSW uses them.
Link Posted: 1/12/2012 2:47:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

~Augee

NSW uses them.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4143/4750978485_063a15811a.jpg

Yup. A Navy friend of mine that is an armorer for a west coast team has a whole lot of pictures with them.
Link Posted: 1/12/2012 3:05:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Nice learn something every day.
Link Posted: 1/13/2012 1:31:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/13/2012 6:36:05 AM EDT
[#14]
WANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
Link Posted: 1/13/2012 7:01:27 AM EDT
[#15]
I've got a fair amount (500rds or so) of trigger time behind an mp7  the ammo is easy to get, I ordered my 4.6 from cheaper than dirt.

If I could get one of these that was as is but with semi only, id sell every firearm I had to buy 2 of them.
Link Posted: 1/13/2012 11:39:58 AM EDT
[#16]
If I recall, i think H&K makes a semi auto only verison for the British govt.
I think its for there armed police units.
Link Posted: 1/13/2012 12:41:35 PM EDT
[#17]

First post and 6th and 8th picture down. Don't think we'd hear or see too many of his exploits.

MP7 pic
Link Posted: 1/14/2012 5:43:47 PM EDT
[#18]
I'd love one if they imported a pistol version, but only if (& not to open what I know is a can 'o worms here) compliance parts are available.

I don't care that it's not a practical caliber.  My PS90 is no more useful & it's an enjoyable gun for me.

But even if HK didn't hate us, I don't know why they would be more inclined to import a mp7 when they won't import new mp5 variants.

I'd love to see HK start producing guns in the US, new semi mp5s, umps, g36s, mp7s....well one can dream I suppose.
Link Posted: 1/15/2012 2:35:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
They could ship it here tomarrow as a pistol if they drop the auto trigger group.

But as they say...

We are HK, and we hate you. Ammo would be the main problem. Even if a US company built one, they would have to start pumping out ammo to support the weapons platform.
Link Posted: 1/23/2012 3:12:55 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I'd love one if they imported a pistol version, but only if (& not to open what I know is a can 'o worms here) compliance parts are available.

I don't care that it's not a practical caliber.  My PS90 is no more useful & it's an enjoyable gun for me.

But even if HK didn't hate us, I don't know why they would be more inclined to import a mp7 when they won't import new mp5 variants.

I'd love to see HK start producing guns in the US, new semi mp5s, umps, g36s, mp7s....well one can dream I suppose.
Why would they import the MP5?  They'd have to make an entirely different version to get it approved for importation.  After that they'd have to convert them once they made it here or they wouldn't sell any because nobody really wants to go through the trouble of doing it themselves.  Of course all the special manufacturing and conversion drives the price up.  Then they get to try to sell it to a bunch of assholes who spout BS and nonsense about their company.  

After they lose money on their US MP5 they can try losing more money on a MP7 which has all the problems above and the added bonus of media BS about "cop killer" guns and lawsuits after some scumbag gets lit up with a "weapon of unusual lethality".

Maybe we'll get lucky and the sporting purposes clause will be eliminated, but until that happens I will continue to be amazed that any of the foreign makers do business here.

Link Posted: 1/23/2012 7:20:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Eh, as it would essentially be a range toy anyways - at this point I'd settle for a Umarex .22lr version.  They've got the rights, I'm interested to know why they don't pusue it, though.

I would imagine it to be at least as good a seller as the MP5 and HK416 .22lrs.  .22 HMR would be nice, too, just for the fun of it.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 1/23/2012 3:42:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Google search Kel-Tec RMR, it's about as close as you're going to get, plus it runs off the widely available .22 WMR.  Biggest problem I see with introducing it is that it's a very niche market that HK would be selling to.  I'd venture to say less popular than the PS90.  But hey, if you want to buy a CNC vert. mill, lathe and other tools and prototype one yourself, be my guest.
Link Posted: 1/23/2012 3:44:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Probably much more practical anyways.  It'll probably only cost $5-600.  It's produced here in the US so no worry about 922r crap.  And best of all, I can buy the ammo by the pallet if I want to.

Link Posted: 1/23/2012 10:29:05 PM EDT
[#24]
I'd buy one tomorrow if they were available...sadly, it will probably never happen
Link Posted: 1/24/2012 8:58:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I've got a fair amount (500rds or so) of trigger time behind an mp7  the ammo is easy to get, I ordered my 4.6 from cheaper than dirt.

If I could get one of these that was as is but with semi only, id sell every firearm I had to buy 2 of them.

Fiocchi makes and sells 4.6x30 ammo...probably who CTD and Sportsmans Guide buys it from.  I doubt HK will ever bother to import one.  They tried that with the neutered G36 and UMP (SL-8 and USC) and people just bitched about them.  You're not going to get effective ammo anyways (just like with 5.7) so you're better off with a .22Mag.
Link Posted: 1/24/2012 10:11:12 AM EDT
[#26]
I've hot ballistic gel footage that shows the best 22 mag isn't half of 4.6/5.7 capabilities.

That said, you are indeed right. Hk will never import them. I tried years ago just to get a dealer sample and couldn't get one.
Link Posted: 1/24/2012 10:21:20 AM EDT
[#27]
No shot and ammo would be a bitch to source so I'm not overly disappointed.

They are a nasty PDW though.

Link Posted: 1/24/2012 12:45:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
If I recall, i think H&K makes a semi auto only verison for the British govt.
I think its for there armed police units.

MOD Police and maybe CNC too, I think. Same thing with the MP5, G36, and probably a couple of others. Obviously we're not allowed them, neither have I heard of any of them being retailed where legal in Europe (and there are quite a few countries they would be legal in).

All the HK stuff I've seen in Europe is pretty much the same as the G36 and UMP sporters in America.

Link Posted: 1/24/2012 4:32:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I've hot ballistic gel footage that shows the best 22 mag isn't half of 4.6/5.7 capabilities.

That said, you are indeed right. Hk will never import them. I tried years ago just to get a dealer sample and couldn't get one.

I don't know about you, but if HK did bring some to the civvy market, I wouldn't buy it based on ballistics of whichever cartridge it came in.  Let's not kid ourselves here, even if they offered it in some goofy proprietary caliber OTHER than 5.7 or 4.6, we'd STILL buy it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2012 4:34:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know about you, but if HK did bring some to the civvy market, I wouldn't buy it based on ballistics of whichever cartridge it came in.  Let's not kid ourselves here, even if they offered it in some goofy proprietary caliber OTHER than 5.7 or 4.6, we'd STILL buy it.

Oh absolutely. I would by all means buy it regardless.
Link Posted: 1/24/2012 4:37:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Oh absolutely. I would by all means buy it regardless.

That makes two then huh?
Link Posted: 1/25/2012 9:22:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Having started this thread and expressed my interest already, I have little problem saying that a civilian owned HK of any type (except for maybe their pistols) is irrelevant as a defensive or "duty" weapon.  

Very simply put, HKs are priced too far out of range, and come with far too little support to be seen as legitimate solutions when purchased by an individual in a civilian configuration as any more than a range toy.  

Say we're not talking the MP7, but instead the G36 - you may think the G36 is "the tits" best combat weapon ever devised by mankind, but the cost of entry is going to be somewhere near $4K once you complete all the modifications.  At the end - you either a) will still not have a "proper G36," having used a stock adapter, or b) despite advances in plastic bonding technology, you will still have an inherently structurally compromised weapon in order to install the stock.  

Same goes with say a UMP or MP5 or HK416/MR556.  

If defensive utility is your sole a primary cause for purchase of an HK long gun, you're doing it wrong.  Nothing HK makes is "more better" enough to justify the cost premium and the complete and utter lack of parts support you get.  I can stockpile enough parts for an AR to last me through all four Terminator movies for a pittance.  But I can forget it if Judgment Day happens today, and I want to have an HK416 just like Christian Bale in thirty years.  That's if all you're worried about are practical considerations.  

So, if you fancy yourself as 100% practical, you'd never consider an HK long gun anyways.  Even if you had unlimited discretionary income, solely for utility sake, they're a poor buy.  

So - I would posit that buyers of HK weapons buy them because they want them - for whatever the reason.  Because they think they're the best for the money, because they think they're cool, because they want to brag to their friends.  

The point is, arguing for or against the MP7 - in civilian hands - is pretty pointless, even if there was a practical use for 4.6x30MM, guaranteed, give it one SHOT Show, and someone will have a more efficient and more practical platform to fire it.  

I don't want a civi-MP7 because I can justify it practically - I want one because I think it would be cool.  I mean, I want an M203, too.  God knows, I've been issued one before - and if I ever really needed one, would probably be again.  But I want one of my very own.  I just do.  Don't ask me to justify it.  That's what wives are for.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 1/25/2012 9:51:57 PM EDT
[#33]
I can agree somewhat augee.

At the same time though, i would purchase an mp7 as a pdw. Even if it was only in semi auto.

As for the g36 bit... Eh, I've uses true g36k and c's. And am unimpressed. Sure they look kick ass. But they don't do anything my can't do better.
Link Posted: 1/26/2012 10:40:31 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I can agree somewhat augee.

At the same time though, i would purchase an mp7 as a pdw. Even if it was only in semi auto.

As for the g36 bit... Eh, I've uses true g36k and c's. And am unimpressed. Sure they look kick ass. But they don't do anything my can't do better.

I'm not a big G36 personally.  I was just saying "if for instance."  

Would love to have an MP7.  It would be wonderful if it was useful.  But not necessary.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 1/26/2012 10:56:51 AM EDT
[#35]
If I could buy one for sub 3k and source 20k rounds of ammo... I would be all over one. Great platform to shoot and it makes a perfect PDW.
Top Top