FAL
+Built like a tank
+Some versions have BHO
+Short-stroke piston is MUCH cleaner than G3
+/- Iron sights are decent
+Many different rail options, especially top rail
-Mags are pricey compared to G3, but still affordable
-Non-free float barrel

It's not a perfect list, but it's how I look at it.
Link Posted: 11/16/2011 4:05:13 AM EDT
[#2]
My FAL occasionaly chokes, burps, or misfeeds.

My HK has "Never Ever" choked, burped, or misfed. No gas system to have issues.

If you upgrade the HK trigger (Williams, PSG1....etc) it will be more accurate than the FAL is capable of. The Stock HK trigger sucks though.
Link Posted: 11/16/2011 5:47:30 AM EDT
[#3]
I prefer the FAL, But it is just a personal preference.  The BHO is the key aspect.  Knowing how your rifle works will serve you well.  Price should not be an obtion, cause the market changes.  buy either one, and learn how to use it and maintain it.
Link Posted: 11/16/2011 10:32:20 AM EDT
[#4]
HK-91

Link Posted: 11/16/2011 11:32:13 AM EDT
[#5]
I have both and both have their own merits. It would be a tough call to pick one over the other and it would come down to if you easily want optics or not. I give the edge to HK for the excellent Hensoldt claw mount optics. The hk does eat your brass bad so if your a reloader ( I am) the hk will make you cry a river. I have never had a malfunction with either gun. Both are tried & true designs and battle proven.

Like I said if it was iron sights only either rifle is good to go. If you want to stretch the range out and easily add quality optics I would take my hk.
Link Posted: 11/16/2011 1:32:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

If you upgrade the HK trigger (Williams, PSG1....etc) it will be more accurate than the FAL is capable of. The Stock HK trigger sucks though.

+1 I own and shoot both. The FAL is a great rifle however the G3 is the better battle rifle. No gas system to mess with and the G3/HK is hands down a more accurate rifle.

HDH.

Link Posted: 11/16/2011 2:57:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Fal
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 5:47:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have both and both have their own merits. It would be a tough call to pick one over the other and it would come down to if you easily want optics or not. I give the edge to HK for the excellent Hensoldt claw mount optics. The hk does eat your brass bad so if your a reloader ( I am) the hk will make you cry a river. I have never had a malfunction with either gun. Both are tried & true designs and battle proven.

Like I said if it was iron sights only either rifle is good to go. If you want to stretch the range out and easily add quality optics I would take my hk.

Get a port buffer, and violia reloadable brass. I get 5 to 6 reloads out of brass.

The PTRs and Cetmes are unfortunately a no go on reloading. The flutes are so large in the chamber the brass gets seriously deformed. The HK flutes are more numerous and far smaller as  not to screw up the brass.
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 6:46:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Shot both, but I own a G3 clone.
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 7:28:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Fail

Corrected for you...jk

I own both ( Arfcom sop) and give the G3 the edge because of better sights IMO.
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 10:31:06 AM EDT
[#11]
I have both and prefer the HK91. The 91 for me is more accurate, better ergonomics. I know the conventional wisdom is the FAL is the better rifle, but not in my book.

I haven't used it in combat, just patroling and casual shooting.
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 5:47:34 PM EDT
[#12]
CETME!!!!

100 yrds
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 5:27:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 I own and shoot both. The FAL is a great rifle however the G3 is the better battle rifle. No gas system to mess with and the G3/HK is hands down a more accurate rifle.

HDH.

http://i1036.photobucket.com/albums/a443/hansellhd/NATO029.jpg

ringer706, the HK system is not direct blowback but a delayed blowback roller design which gives it better accuracy than the FAL. HDH, where did you get that wood on the bottom gun with the CMR optic. Very nice.  

Link Posted: 11/18/2011 5:47:09 PM EDT
[#14]
I own both and the G3/ Cetme is always more accurate. However, I prefer teh FAL because its better balance and handling makes it easier to maneuver, and I am Left Handed. I cant even imagine having to clear a malfunction in the G3, and the trigger is abysmal.

Since they are battle rifles, and not sniper rifles, the G3s marginal accuracy advantage is not enough to overcome its poor balance, sloppy handling, and terrible ergonomics, IMHO.

Another thing, I had a friend who was with 7th group and worked with IPs equipped with G3s. Every one of them was in spec and well maintained, but some had soft recoil, and others would snap your neck. No one could ever figure out why. Just the nature of the design.
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 5:34:21 AM EDT
[#15]
As you have already heard, both are time tested rifles. I have owned and shot both and I prefer the FAL, but it's basically just a personal choice thing like Ford vs Chevy.
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 5:52:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

HDH.

http://i1036.photobucket.com/albums/a443/hansellhd/NATO029.jpg

Thanks, The wood on the FAL was from Irionwood design out of CA. I would put up a link but can't figure out how to do it here. That FAL is a DSA Imbel that came from AIM last year.

The FAL has it in the look's department that is for sure, I find the HK is more reliable so I have to go with that. I have found the only thing more reliable than the roller lock rifle is the AK.

Before wood and after.

The G3 look is also nice. :)

HDH

ringer706, the HK system is not direct blowback but a delayed blowback roller design which gives it better accuracy than the FAL. HDH, where did you get that wood on the bottom gun with the CMR optic. Very nice.  

Link Posted: 11/19/2011 6:31:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I own both and the G3/ Cetme is always more accurate. However, I prefer teh FAL because its better balance and handling makes it easier to maneuver, and I am Left Handed. I cant even imagine having to clear a malfunction in the G3, and the trigger is abysmal.

Since they are battle rifles, and not sniper rifles, the G3s marginal accuracy advantage is not enough to overcome its poor balance, sloppy handling, and terrible ergonomics, IMHO.

Another thing, I had a friend who was with 7th group and worked with IPs equipped with G3s. Every one of them was in spec and well maintained, but some had soft recoil, and others would snap your neck. No one could ever figure out why. Just the nature of the design.

If the recoil is "stiff" or sharp on an HK or clone its likely the bolt gap / head space is near minimum or very little bolt gap. The HK might feel more clunky but in use it performs well. I do like the feel of my FAL better as well. The versatility edge still goes to HK. Very simple to add optics, a bipod, quality mags for cheap and positive ejection that you can kill anyone sneaking up on your right side make a difference if you want any of those features.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 2:20:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Both are reliable weapons.  However the fal is softer recoiling (important on a 308), better ergonomics and cheaper.  I have owned a fal and shot HK's
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 12:15:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Both are reliable weapons.  However the fal is softer recoiling (important on a 308), better ergonomics and cheaper.  I have owned a fal and shot HK's

Read the post above yours.  If you found the FAL softer recoiling then something was seriously wrong with the HK.  Probably low bolt gap or non-existent bolt gap made to look acceptable by grinding.

Link Posted: 11/20/2011 7:49:31 PM EDT
[#20]
I prefer the charging handle location of the FAL.
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 5:36:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I prefer the charging handle location of the FAL.

Maybe, but slamming the bolt home on a HK is so much cooler.

Link Posted: 11/21/2011 6:04:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If the recoil is "stiff" or sharp on an HK or clone its likely the bolt gap / head space is near minimum or very little bolt gap. The HK might feel more clunky but in use it performs well. I do like the feel of my FAL better as well. The versatility edge still goes to HK. Very simple to add optics, a bipod, quality mags for cheap and positive ejection that you can kill anyone sneaking up on your right side make a difference if you want any of those features.

I agree, bolt gap is a factor.

Another factor may be the factory stock buffer. I bought an HK 91 in August that has good bolt gap but recoils much more strongly than my Portuguese G3. I switched stocks between the rifles and now the Portuguese rifle recoils harder. I plan to get one of these new buffers for each rfile.

Heavy buffer

Required pic of 1974 SACO import...

Link Posted: 11/21/2011 8:54:17 AM EDT
[#23]
The adjustable gas system on the FAL allows the rifle to be tuned to the ammo for softer recoil than the G3.  If your army is supplying the ammo, or you buy in bulk, then it's not something you have to mess with much... if you buy ammo a box at a time, you might spend some time adjusting the gas.

At one time, it was much cheaper to get into a quality FAL than a quality G3 or clone, but I think that has leveled out a bit.  I find the ergos on the G3 to be weak, and the recoil a little sharp.  Ergos on the FAL are better, save the steep grip angle, but that's an easy fix.  Both have good provenance, the edge in accuracy goes to the G3.  Paratrooper stock is better on the FAL.  Factory optics mount more solid on the G3, but spendy.  Good aftermarket scope mount options for the FAL.

I have both, I prefer the FAL.  I don't like koolaid.

Link Posted: 11/24/2011 8:30:11 AM EDT
[#24]
I own a couple clones of both, and I've handled some original examples in actual field use in Iraq.

Mostly it boils down to personal preference. Each one has it's pluses and minuses. HKs require a smaller amount of spare parts, just some rollers and firing pins, as there isn't much to break. I find FALs to be much more ergonomic, and I prefer a bolt hold open. I'm not a fan of dead man's click. Both require some kind of tool to properly zero them. At present mags are cheaper for HKs. So try both and pick your poison, or buy both.
Link Posted: 11/24/2011 12:35:45 PM EDT
[#25]
I own an HK91, and my buddy has a FAL.

We both agree it's the 91, but still love the FAL.
Link Posted: 11/27/2011 5:03:59 AM EDT
[#26]
I sold my HK91 to buy an FAL  
Link Posted: 11/28/2011 1:09:50 PM EDT
[#27]
own both i prefer HK over FAL.
Link Posted: 11/30/2011 2:48:16 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fail

Corrected for you...jk

How could I FAIL with this bad boy?

Link Posted: 11/30/2011 7:05:23 AM EDT
[#29]
^Nice
Looks like you have the same impending fridge avalanche that I do whenever I grab a cold one.

Link Posted: 11/30/2011 3:52:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Well I sold my H&K 91 and don't miss it one bit. It just isn't that comfortable to shoot. But my FALs are sweet. They balance nice, have a bolt hold open and I like the rear sight on the FAL better than the H&K.
Link Posted: 12/1/2011 7:58:43 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fail

Corrected for you...jk

http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab11/bigjunk1/001-7.jpg

What forend rail is that?
Link Posted: 12/1/2011 1:29:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fail

Corrected for you...jk

Why didn't you just buy an AR-10?

Link Posted: 12/2/2011 3:04:47 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fail

Corrected for you...jk

What forend rail is that?

DSA rail interface handguard.
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 3:53:54 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fail

Corrected for you...jk

The only thing an AR-10 could offer me in competition would be accuracy. In general an AR-10 is more accurate than a FAL but we are usually comparing old,shot out barrels from Military hand me downs or cheap manufactured stuff to high end stainless or chromolly on an AR-10.  This perticular FAL has a like new barrel and predictable soft trigger that I get below MOA out of with most brass ammo.
When you are comparing the 2 rifles with equally accurate ability then the FAL begins to stand out for reliability ,durrability and features''adjustable piston system ,folding stock''. If our Military had not already been using the AR-15 and had the interchangable parts and experience with the AR platform then the modern FAL may very well have ended up as our .308 simi auto. Ask yourself this, = if the 2 rifles were both dropped down a cliff of rocks into a lake and you had to pick up one of them with only seconds to get off a shot before imminent death which one would you think may still fire ?
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 9:10:14 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fail

Corrected for you...jk

The only thing an AR-10 could offer me in competition would be accuracy. In general an AR-10 is more accurate than a FAL but we are usually comparing old,shot out barrels from Military hand me downs or cheap manufactured stuff to high end stainless or chromolly on an AR-10.  This perticular FAL has a like new barrel and predictable soft trigger that I get below MOA out of with most brass ammo.
When you are comparing the 2 rifles with equally accurate ability then the FAL begins to stand out for reliability ,durrability and features''adjustable piston system ,folding stock''. If our Military had not already been using the AR-15 and had the interchangable parts and experience with the AR platform then the modern FAL may very well have ended up as our .308 simi auto. Ask yourself this, = if the 2 rifles were both dropped down a cliff of rocks into a lake and you had to pick up one of them with only seconds to get off a shot before imminent death which one would you think may still fire ?

If they both had a round in the chamber before being dropped. I would just want the one without an optic or with quick detach and some irons . Thats a pretty fal you have I love my ptr91 though I wouldn't trade it for one to each their own.

Link Posted: 12/4/2011 3:05:07 PM EDT
[#36]
I bought a HK91 back in the early 90s.  I picked up a PSG1 stock and trigger group since then. Being pretty broke back then I had a cheapy scope on it and since its .308Win it was not cheap to shoot either.

Whenever I did though it was accurate and I had a lot of people at the range ask about the rifle. I recently swapped out the cheap scope rings with a nicer set but have yet to shoot it.
I kept the cheap scope 'cause, well, it still working perfect and has kept its zero once I dialed it in.

I'm wondering if I will sell it soon or keep it, its been a safe queen for the 20 years I have owned it.
Link Posted: 12/4/2011 4:06:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I sold my HK91 to buy an FAL  

I did the opposite
Link Posted: 12/5/2011 8:46:27 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
HK-91

hk all the way
Link Posted: 12/16/2011 6:10:01 PM EDT
[#39]
I'm miss my fal Now I build g3
Link Posted: 12/17/2011 5:30:38 AM EDT
[#40]
both are good  I own a springfield 4800 (fal ) and a springfield sar 8 (HK G3 ) I own A sear pack . I believe it depends what brand they are for quality reasons!
Link Posted: 12/21/2011 1:25:36 PM EDT
[#41]
FAL. My friend fought in Rhodesia and said they hated the 93/cetme guns and they were not as reliable.
Link Posted: 12/21/2011 1:54:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 12/21/2011 5:34:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I've shot some H+Ks on occasion, and cleaned them afterwards. Stout recoil, and i am not recoil-shy.

The H+Ks were sometimes iron-sghted, and sometimes scoped. All functioned well.

I also own a highly tweaked FAL, scoped, and a Super Match M1A, again scoped.

With regards to no-support, iron-sighted reliability, the H+K gets the nod.

With some foresight, the FAL, tweaked is fully the equivalentof the H+K, given modern scopes and mounts. A few spare parts,bought ahead of time will last a long time.

Given the right scope mount, the M1A will serve very well. It has very few parts, and is stoutly made. A few spare parts bought in advance will last a long time.

The main point is that, for most users, all of these rifles will do if YOU will do. None of them is worth a hoot unless YOU practice with them, and learn all their traits, good and bad, inside out.

It is YOUR SKILL with your firearm of choice that will make the differerence when you shoot it.

Amen to that. A acquaintance once asked me why I had so many different guns and asked what the perfect all around rifle would be, I told him they are like golf clubs they all have different purposes there is no best. Its pretty much the same with these you pick which one fits you best since these two particular "clubs" have a very similar specialty. As long as you get a well made example of either one I think you'll be happy.

Personally I got into the roller lockers from the cheap surplus gear for them; mags, scopes, etc then fell in love from there . Some day I would like to get a L1A1 though with a wood stock just because they are so dam  pretty, wouldn't trade my PTR though and will probably pick up a second when I have the cash.

Link Posted: 12/23/2011 5:40:16 PM EDT
[#44]

vs

Fal shoots great, still no chance to shoot the g3k....soon....I get vacation time soon...
Link Posted: 12/23/2011 9:03:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Looks like you would have to be pretty careful with the rail on the g3 or you'd rake your hand on it is that the case? Oh and very nice rifles.
Link Posted: 12/24/2011 2:21:13 AM EDT
[#46]
It was w/ the scar covers or bare, but w/ the ladders its fine.  Even w/ the hk93 handguard, if your not careful you can do it on the sling attachment point.  Top pic is current configuration at the moment.
Link Posted: 12/25/2011 8:55:29 AM EDT
[#47]
Have a HK91 and a Argie FAL, wouldnt cry if I was stuck with either one when the zombies come a knockin...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top