Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/14/2011 7:27:22 PM EDT
I took the PTR out for several of hours of shooting two weeks ago. I tried making the test as controlled as possible so I could make up my mind if I should keep the rifle or not. I bought 20 round boxes of five different types of ammo. I listed them below and how many failures I had while I fired off a magazine of each. Please note that I only put 19 rounds in each magazine.

1. 308 Winchester Federal Power-Shok 150 Grain Soft Point- No Failures. My Ptr-91 loves expensive hunting ammo.

2. PMC Bronze 308 / 7.62 Nato- One Failure even though previously it would not fire more than one round at a time before failing to fire the next round. I attribute this to getting the rifle broken in. If anything changes I will let you know.

3. Prvi Partizan M80 145 grain FMJBT 2009 Production – My PTR-91 absolutely hated this ammunition. It only fired the first round and then failed to fire the second. After racking another round it failed to fire that round and the next. After that I had a triple feed bloody mess and I gave up on the ammo.

4. Prvi Partizan .308 150gr Soft Point – After the previous experience I did not expect much from the PRVI 150 grain soft point. This ammunition fired flawlessly like the 308 Winchester. The commonality between the two types of ammo is that they are both manufactured as civilian .308 and not military 7.62. The PTR is manufactured to use 308 and not 7.62 so that makes sense. Hopefully once the rifle is broken in it will take all types of ammo.

5. Australian 7.62 surplus ammo – This ammo is not in the picture below. I traded my friend some of my PMC 308 for the ammo. The Australian surplus had only two failure to fires but the rest went off without a hitch.

In summary the PTR-91 is a finicky rifle when it comes to ammo. I’ve only put two hundred rounds through it so it’s not broken in yet. I bought the PTR-91 because H&K G3′s are not available and H&K 91′s are hard to come by. In hindsight I should have bought a DSARMS FAL. I’m going to stick with this rifle for the time being but I would not bet my life on it. My rifle of choice is the Stag Arms Model 2. This rifle has functioned flawlessly through several thousand rounds and is very accurate.

http://www.gothamsurvival.com/

Link Posted: 6/15/2011 12:48:47 PM EDT
[#1]
What scope/mount combo are you running?
Link Posted: 6/15/2011 4:14:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm using the MOA Vortex Viper PST 1-4x24 scope and for the mount I'm using the ADR-X Mount 3 inch Offset Cantilever Ring Mount

The scope and mount are great. I bought them off of a friend of mine who was switching all of his scopes to MRAD from MOA. The rifle scope combo make the PTR extraordinarily accurate. I haven't had a chance to take it out past 100 yards but I'm looking forward to it.

Link Posted: 6/15/2011 4:21:41 PM EDT
[#3]
I forgot to mention that I installed the Low Profile Rail Scope Mount for HK-91 as well.
Link Posted: 6/15/2011 5:02:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks I've got an eotech on mine now but I may switch to a scope here soon
Link Posted: 7/1/2011 6:37:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Sometimes the scope mount can effect function if it's too tight. Try removing the mount and doing the tests again. Some mounts clamp the upper part of the receiver too tightly slowing down the bolt.
Link Posted: 7/2/2011 8:53:06 AM EDT
[#6]
When did you buy this rifle? My PTR has been 100% reliable when I have not tried to bumpfire it.
Link Posted: 7/2/2011 5:19:10 PM EDT
[#7]
some additional information for you.

Some PTR's are prone to ammo sensitivity.  Well documented issue has to do with incorrect fluting of the barrel.  Note this is well documented concerning incorrect length and depth of the flutes.  HKPRO.com has a thread with rifle nomenclature & serial number range that has these issues.  PTR has done themselves a disservice by not addressing this issue.

Current issues are trunnion cracking, as a company they have been very good at correcting this issue.

As was earlier stated pull off your scope mount and try again, this can be an issue as to it causes binding of the bolt carrier.

Clean the heck out of the flutes and try it all again.  It takes about 250rnds to break it in.
Link Posted: 7/3/2011 5:18:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Clean the heck out of the flutes and try it all again. It takes about 250rnds to break it in.

Quite true. I bought a PTR-91 GI back in February of this year, but only got to the range with it this week. On Friday, the first time I shot it, it was a single shot with both PRVI and Federal LC. I tried some Tula I had with me and it shot pretty well, put ejection was inconsistent, however, I did get about 80 rounds through it, mainly Tula. I brought it home and cleaned it well again. Took it to the range again today, and only had about a 1 in 10 ejection issue with PRVI and Federal, and of course no issues with the Tula. Fired about another 100 rounds or so. The weapon is definitely breaking in. I expect that by the end of my next range excursion it should be feeding and ejecting pretty much any 7.62 x 51.
Link Posted: 7/6/2011 5:57:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
When did you buy this rifle? My PTR has been 100% reliable when I have not tried to bumpfire it.

I bought the rifle earlier this year in 2011. It's been picky about ammo but it just might not be quite broken in yet.
Link Posted: 7/6/2011 6:00:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
some additional information for you.

Some PTR's are prone to ammo sensitivity.  Well documented issue has to do with incorrect fluting of the barrel.  Note this is well documented concerning incorrect length and depth of the flutes.  HKPRO.com has a thread with rifle nomenclature & serial number range that has these issues.  PTR has done themselves a disservice by not addressing this issue.

Current issues are trunnion cracking, as a company they have been very good at correcting this issue.

As was earlier stated pull off your scope mount and try again, this can be an issue as to it causes binding of the bolt carrier.

Clean the heck out of the flutes and try it all again.  It takes about 250rnds to break it in.

I had the issue before putting on the scope mount. I put it on afterwords and the ammo sensitivity issue stayed roughly the same. The rifle is improving with each box of ammo I put through it.
Link Posted: 7/9/2011 4:45:25 PM EDT
[#11]
My 2 CETME,s luv Federal 150 gr power shock      
Link Posted: 7/11/2011 7:08:55 PM EDT
[#12]
I've got two and one is before the barrel flute problem and one that thas the problem. I hand load and have found that if you load it hot or near max loads even the problem child runs perfect with it. SOme of the guns just like warm to hot ammo.
Link Posted: 7/12/2011 4:48:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I've got two and one is before the barrel flute problem and one that thas the problem. I hand load and have found that if you load it hot or near max loads even the problem child runs perfect with it. SOme of the guns just like warm to hot ammo.

Thank you for the info. I'll keep that in mind the next time I try out a batch of ammo manufacturers.
Link Posted: 7/12/2011 4:54:21 PM EDT
[#14]

You have a pair of good looking rifles. In regards to the scopes what is model and make and what is the eye relief on them? I had to buy an offset mount to see properly through my Vortex scope.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top