Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/13/2009 1:28:21 PM EDT
I'm almost done with my AK type endeavors. I'm looking into this conversion as a possible new project. I live in New York. What is the legality of this + approximate cost + where I live plays a factor. I don't mind spending money but don't want to dig a money pit either. Who is the best smith for this also? Thanks ahead for the replys.
Link Posted: 11/13/2009 5:36:34 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I'm almost done with my AK type endeavors. I'm looking into this conversion as a possible new project. I live in New York. What is the legality of this + approximate cost + where I live plays a factor. I don't mind spending money but don't want to dig a money pit either. Who is the best smith for this also? Thanks ahead for the replys.
I'm actually starting that same project....where in NY are you?????

Link Posted: 11/13/2009 11:46:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I'm actually starting that same project....where in NY are you?????

I'm on the Island. I know its going to be fairly complicated and expensive. The SL8 is $1600 alone with no work.
Link Posted: 11/14/2009 12:03:42 AM EDT
[#3]
it's been a couple years since I've looked into this, but I think you can expect a total of around $3500-$4000 when finished for a near-exact clone. I could be way off on these numbers.
Link Posted: 11/14/2009 10:22:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah you can save some money and just have a non-sbr SL8 with the FBI lower, HDPS block, folding stock, hicap mag conversion, shorter handguard, and 16 in barrel. You can do that for probably just under $1500 when you add whatever you pick to make the thing 922r compliant. When you start getting more specific that price goes way up. The problem is that once you get all that done you say:

"Shit im going to need the barrel turned down with the correct FH"
Then "Oh god the LOP is wayyyy too long"
Then "This top rail seems a bit long and it doesnt have iron sights"
Then "Hmm i wonder who can engrave G36 into my reciever?"

Its worth it though when your buddies pull out ARs at the range and you pull out a G36
Link Posted: 11/14/2009 10:39:51 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Yeah you can save some money and just have a non-sbr SL8 with the FBI lower, HDPS block, folding stock, shorter handguard, and 16 in barrel. You can do that for probably just under $1000. When you start getting more specific that price goes way up. The problem is that once you get all that done you say:

That's just what I'm doing......in fact I'm out the door.....right now, going to pick up my new SL8....
Link Posted: 11/14/2009 10:54:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Yeah you can save some money and just have a non-sbr SL8 with the FBI lower, HDPS block, folding stock, shorter handguard, and 16 in barrel. You can do that for probably just under $1000. When you start getting more specific that price goes way up. The problem is that once you get all that done you say:

That's just what I'm doing......in fact I'm out the door.....right now, going to pick up my new SL8....

Haha i had to come back and edit it, i forgot a couple pretty importaint things. (hicap mag conversion and like $300 dollars of 922r parts.)

Link Posted: 11/14/2009 11:31:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I don't know that an SL8 to G36 conversion would be worth doing in New York with your state AWB.  No G36 mags are pre-ban, and the SL8 is a post-ban rifle so you're going to have some limitations as far as what you can do with it.  Pinned open stock, either no muzzle device or a pinned brake.  You could do the AR mag well to get higher cap mags at least.  In all, spending a fortune on scarce G36 parts only to have to neuter them more is going to suck.  
Link Posted: 11/14/2009 1:16:24 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't know that an SL8 to G36 conversion would be worth doing in New York with your state AWB. No G36 mags are pre-ban, and the SL8 is a post-ban rifle so you're going to have some limitations as far as what you can do with it. Pinned open stock, either no muzzle device or a pinned brake. You could do the AR mag well to get higher cap mags at least. In all, spending a fortune on scarce G36 parts only to have to neuter them more is going to suck.

Black Market Parts has a conversion that includes all compliant parts and the stock block and stock and the AR mag well for about 450.00 bucks.....all you need to do is install the SL8 FCG into the new housing and your set to go.....(you still need to modify the mag area of the receiver)   (sorry for the run on sentence)

Link Posted: 11/17/2009 11:43:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Last I checked on gunbroker you can get the complete parts kit for about 1600, then add in the cost of the rifle which at the cheapest will be 1800.  So you're looking at 3400 minimum I'd say.  Plus if you send it to someone and have them do it if you don't feel confident in doing that kind of work you have to figure in the cost of labor as well.
Link Posted: 11/18/2009 7:30:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Yeah but that will get you a pretty bad ass G36 just on an SL8 receiver.You can make an SL8 lookalike for alot cheaper.
Link Posted: 11/20/2009 5:55:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Not thread-jacking, just dropping a note to those chaps who might be interested. If anyone is interested I've got a G36 clone with some great extras I'm going to sell in the near future. Drop me an IM if you're interested.

Link Posted: 11/23/2009 4:35:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Fellas,
I ran through the whole spectrum with the SL8/G36 conversion. I invested about $4200.00 in mine. I aquired a SL8 with the top notch conversion parts kit. I had to trade a DPMS LR308 that was really tricked with Leupold optic. That hurt but its worth it now. I scraped the cheap a$$ Top notch crap. The stock had lot of slop in it and was just plain cheap looking. I ended up going to HDPS and getting a stock block and compliance parts. HDPS is hands down the way to go if you want a authentic looking conversion. It was worth every penny!
This thing is sweet. I used a K barrel, C handguard, C rail, and C stock. I love it.............................My next move is to send it to Chopstix for the reciever work. He charges $180.00 to fill and reenforce the gap.......................
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c108/01coltcolt/Take2002.jpg
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c108/01coltcolt/Take2001-1.jpg
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c108/01coltcolt/Take2001.jpg
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c108/01coltcolt/G3612001.jpg
Link Posted: 11/25/2009 10:36:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Here is my old G36 project. I've since sold it.

It started out as an SL8-1. It now sports an HK dual optic, G36K handguard, G36 3 position Lower w/ SL8 internals, G36C stock, 16" HDPS barrel w/Vortex flash-hider.

The receiver/demilled stub work, engraving, magwell cover, and refinish were done by Tommy 'TBostic' Bostic (from HKPro). I am definitely pleased with the work. The quality is top notch. His quoted turn around time was spot on, I had it back in my hands on the day he said it would be.

First you start with the rifle itself:

$1300-$2000+ -SL8-1 or SL8-6
$150-$200 -G36 Triggerpack/Lower
$50-$150 -G36 Stock
$40 -G36 Buffer
$75 -G36 demilled Stock Hinge
$20-$30 -G36 Magwell
$50-$70 -G36 magazine
$100-$200 -Bolt for double stack mags
$125-$250 -Barrel work
$500-$1000 -Labor to Install all of the above

G36 Optics or Rail: $125-$600

Roughly: $2410-$4015 (+optic or rail) Depending on how much you need done, and have done yourself, and how much you initially paid for the rifle.

You'd be in serious need of US-made parts: US Made Bolt, Piston, Trigger, Sear, Floorplate, Follower, or Operating Rod. for a tad bit more cash. I'd recommend dyeing the gray SL8 first, so if the finish comes off, it is still black underneath.

As for the differences:

The Top Notch conversion is usable without modification to the SL8 receiver. it adds 2-3 inches to the length of pull & eye relief to optics and irons. That extra length makes it difficult to use the G36 optics & the iron sights. Plus, if you are a G36 fan, it makes the rifle look wonky. Being as this was the only way to do the conversions for many moons, most people just had to make do. the complete kit came with a US made bolt, piston & AR15 magwell. The kit itself has a US-made stock & pistol grip (though, you'd do well to replace the US-made stock with the shorter, more comfortable G36c stock.)

Price, if you do all of the work: ~$1940-$2955 + Optic/Rail

The HDPS conversion is a lot nicer than the TN conversion, but is way more expensive. Not only is the block itself pricy, but you  need to buy lots of the other G36 replacement parts as well. Also, the main issue is that the HDPS block still adds those couple inches to the LOP & Eye Relief. With the HDPS, you need to buy a G36 lower/triggerpack, G36 stock, the pins to connect them, You'd still need a bolt, magwell, and US compliance parts.

Price, if you do all of the work: ~$2095-$3200 + Optic/Rail

Here is an overlay of the TN conversion with the new style conversion. HDPS would look similar:

The magwell on the SL8 needs to be modified to use doublestack mags (AR15 or G36), and you need to have a bolt that will strip rounds from a doublestack mag.

In the end it is about how much you want to spend and how close you want to get to an authentic G36. None of these conversions allow for the G36 bolt carrier to fit into the SL8 receiver and that keeps the rifle from being able to go full-auto, even if the multi-position lowers are installed. For additional safety, on mine, the G36 FCG internals (Fire Control group) have been replaced with the original SL8 internals, which are obviously semi-auto only.

The pricing numbers are rough and should just give you a general idea of the costs. They are consistent to themselves and, I think, fair. They don't include things like tax or shipping or reflect on availability, lead times or anything else. I wouldn't go into this thinking I could order up all of the parts and send it off for conversion and get it back in two weeks. This process can take several months, I know some people who have spent several years, slowly converting their SL8.

For me, it was quite a process and I was extremely happy with the end result. It was worth the trouble and cost.

~Icarus
Link Posted: 11/25/2009 7:12:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Icarus, that's beautiful.  If you ever do need to sell it, please let me know!
Link Posted: 11/29/2009 6:59:27 PM EDT
[#15]
SMGlee's conversion with Knight's rail and EOtech.  After the first time he let me shoot it, I said, "I GOT TO HAVE ONE!"

Link Posted: 12/3/2009 3:32:17 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm psyched....the first of my G36 conversion parts arrive tomorrow......
Link Posted: 12/6/2009 1:26:59 PM EDT
[#17]

deleted

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top